COVID-19

Indabuff

My company just informed us today that they'd be suspending my position for the next 2 weeks minimum and that I could take time off, come in and work retail at a lower amount or use vacation time. As much as I wanna just self quarantine I think I'm gonna go in. The economic effects are scary for all of this but I understand the idea of flattening the curve to keep our under-prepared healthcare system from becoming like Milan where doctors basically have to choose who lives and dies. I ordered a bunch of books for the inevitable total shutdown. I sincerely hope they suspend mortgage payments for 2 months to give families a bit of relief economically. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Claude_Verret said:

The CDC had plenty of test kits originally but they had a contaminated negative control which rendered them useless. Strike one to a manufacturing failure.

The WHO offered test kits, but as regulations stood at the time the CDC test kits were the only ones authorized for use. Strike two to red tape regulations.

It was only after lifting these regulations that more public lab homebrewed tests and those from the private sector were allowed. Hopefully this wont be strike 3.

Edit..its also important to emphasize again that the world had never seen this virus before very late in 2019. To develop any reliable molecular diagnostic in that short of a time frame is moving at light speed in the laboratory diagnostics world.

not really true, both SARS and MERS are both in the Corona family and test kits based on those are being used in Asia.

Also the reason why they believe Chloroquine that was used against malaria in the day will help against Covid-19.    Was already found to be useful against SARS in a lab here in Belgium in 2004.    The Chinese got informed about that and started using it though was never tested outside of a lab.

Edited by Huckleberry

3 hours ago, Neo said:

“We are all Keynsians now.”

I could walk you through my “in the moment conversion”, and how the statement is not inconsistent with with my fidelity to Friedman and Hayek, but no one’s interested.

There are 2 Hayeks.  I'm a fan of one Hayek and a REAL big fan of another Hayek.   I'll let you ponder on which one I am the bigger fan of.

image.png.0cb6d3c0c74a88abcb276d3c9908bdde.pngimage.png.7440aeba598aa6d9fa79fce0bb279745.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Tondas said:

There are 2 Hayeks.  I'm a fan of one Hayek and a REAL big fan of another Hayek.   I'll let you ponder on which one I am the bigger fan of.

image.png.0cb6d3c0c74a88abcb276d3c9908bdde.pngimage.png.7440aeba598aa6d9fa79fce0bb279745.png

I'm a huge fan of Salma Hayek as well.

And I couldn't mention her without also mentioning Penelope Cruz.  I'm a big fan of her work as well.

MV5BMTM0Mzc1MTc2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzE4

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

I'm a huge fan of Salma Hayek as well.

And I couldn't mention her without also mentioning Penelope Cruz.  I'm a big fan of her work as well.

MV5BMTM0Mzc1MTc2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzE4

See definitely has the assets.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I don't even know who he is honestly, as I don't follow news or politics well. I will say this, most physicians in that position haven't been real doctors in years. Same as physicians in administration in hospitals. 

The medications for influenza are basically placebo, so not having a medication isn't a big deal. And no vaccine isn't really a deal breaker, as the influenza vaccine has been mostly crap for a good part of a decade now. 

As for my stance, I am hoping the hysteria comes to an end in a few weeks, I think the illness is still not going to be as severe as we think, gut feeling, whatever you want to call it. 

What position? You said you didn't know who he is. Hint: He's not a "TV doc."

It's funny. If this pandemic "flattens out" in the U.S., people will say the mitigation measures weren't necessary, when they will have probably worked to prevent a spike.

6 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

where is your hair bonnet, gown, gloves and booties... inquiring minds want to know. 

They're over in the PPE cart, I was just "fitted" for my mask, obviously if that had possible Corona contact it wouldn't be on my face there ?

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What position? You said you didn't know who he is. Hint: He's not a "TV doc."

It's funny. If this pandemic "flattens out" in the U.S., people will say the mitigation measures weren't necessary, when they will have probably worked to prevent a spike.

I don't know if people will say that, but I also don't know how many deaths we'll have if it doesn't flatten out. Some may die, most won't and this overall immunity in 2 weeks time would put this to rest for quite some time. 

Flattening the curve is really there to help from not overloading the health care system. I will say this, the health care system is overloaded most days of the year without this stuff going around. 

Dr. Fauci is an immunologist, probably a decent doctor, but just because he directs some big program doesn't make him right. Especially when the government is involved. (and this isn't meant to be political in any way) just the way the health world works, once involved in administration at any level, including federal, you lose a lot of what made you a good doctor and become what you need to, to keep that cushy position. 

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

not really true, both SARS and MERS are both in the Corona family and test kits based on those are being used in Asia.

Also the reason why they believe Chloroquine that was used against malaria in the day will help against Covid-19.    Was already found to be useful against SARS in a lab here in Belgium in 2004.    The Chinese got informed about that and started using it though was never tested outside of a lab.

From a diagnostic perspective it is absolutely true that the world never saw this before. A new assay specific to this virus had to be built from the ground up. Those kits are similar in that they are based on the same PCR platform, but the test itself has to pick up covid19 and not other coronavirus. That's a brand new test with a brand new set of challenges and hurdles.

Edited by Claude_Verret

3 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

ill take pic of me full gowned next time im in also wear another reg mask on outside of this one so as to not contaminate  outside of n95

Just wear a papper, we have those and full hazmat suits too. Honestly, let me get it, quarantine me for 14 days and let me come back to kick some Corona ass.

Honestly even if we had it, ain't no one going home

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Neo said:

“We are all Keynsians now.”

I could walk you through my “in the moment conversion”, and how the statement is not inconsistent with with my fidelity to Friedman and Hayek, but no one’s interested.

Now is the time for investment (well, technically lending) in businesses solvent and healthy before the outbreak.   The healthy must not die, both people and businesses.  Payroll loans, working capital and floor plans, with little or no interest, to keep people employed while the days go by.  Current liabilities only, please.  No social engineering or next generation stuff.  That’ll keep and attract private capital as it always has.  The risk of businesses not surviving the next eight weeks is huge.  We survive only of there are stores and restaurants and car dealers and museums when the clouds dissipate.  I want to go back to my same servers and bartenders.   I miss them and worry about them. 

Stay home, don’t go out, and print, baby, print.

Then, when the party’s over, on to this whole China dependency and vulnerability thing.

To my fiscally conservative fellow travelers, this is not subsidizing inefficiency and failure.  This is addressing a catastrophe.  Government, even my version of it, has a role.

We look for heroes.  They're all around us.  Mrs. Neo is one, too.

Agree strongly with this.  

Not sure what it takes to qualify for them, but the SBA as of last week is offering up to $2MM in low/no interest loans to help small businesses through this.  Wouldn't be shocked (nor upset) if those turn into grants by the time this all blows over.  And, agree strictly as a 1 time thing, the government needs to strongly pull Keynesian policy but get it directly to the people that need it - don't run it through foundations that skim off substantial percentages.  Whether this needed to be a crisis or not, we are where we are and can move forward in ways that minimize the impact of seemingly everything shutting down, though hopefully those shutdowns are merely temporary.

Have no background in epidemiology, but based on past contagious illness spreads and what I've read am expecting this to get worse for about 2 more weeks as testing continues to ramp up; but expect it to be severely curtailing by the end of April.  Hoping that's the case at least.  And do expect a vaccine (at least as effective as the annual flu vaccines) by this fall, so we shouldn't see this sort of panic next winter.

For those that haven't been furloughed, if you're reasonably certain you won't be; consider getting takeout from that favorite local restaurant of yours or buying a gift card.  If you have elderly neighbors / coworkers / nearby relatives, ask if you can grocery shop for them.  And while out shopping, remember, if the store is down to 2 mega rolls of TP, just take 1 IF YOU'RE OUT.  If not, come back tomorrow, the store will get another shipment.  It really will.

Follow the social distancing guidance & wash your friggin' hands.  Do YOUR part and don't leave it to 45 or Cuomo (or whoever your Gov happens to be) to do it for you.  

Remember, we're all in this together.

(Now back to my self-imposed avoiding this place during the week for a few more weeks.)

• Like (+1) 2

There's so much misinformation and stupid in this thread is it mind-boggling. At least I haven't read another debate about what Peer- Review means so that's a plus. Just remember kids, even though Governments around the world are involved in this topic we can't talk about or mention the Federal Government shortfalls of the US. That's is ...

lt5wv-EWS0C3NXZ1T-Full-Image_GalleryBack

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Just wear a papper, we have those and full hazmat suits too. Honestly, let me get it, quarantine me for 14 days and let me come back to kick some Corona ass.

Honestly even if we had it, ain't no one going home

word is it can hang in air if pt is coughing for up to 3 hours... so semi airborne 

Again pts I have xrayed full blown positive lungs look like shiite. Global bad pneumonia.

Edited by North Buffalo

Just now, Ogre said:

I had a short lived post up here quoting Taro that has mysteriously disappeared.  

Indeed.  It went well beyond quoting Taro though.  If you need to make those points pls take them to the politics club, and bring the unhappy and oppressed @LGR4GM with you.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, nfreeman said:

Indeed.  It went well beyond quoting Taro though.  If you need to make those points pls take them to the politics club, and bring the unhappy and oppressed @LGR4GM with you.

I will. We’ll let the masses judge whether my thoughts are appropriate for the times we find ourselves in. Also...no need to toss an insult at @LGR4GM when dealing with me. Maybe someone should delete YOUR post.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

where is your hair bonnet, gown, gloves and booties... inquiring minds want to know

fake newbs.

@Wyldnwoody44’s flow constrained by a hair bonnet ...  a sign The End Times have arrived.

Edited by Neo
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

If you have elderly neighbors

To continue: here's what I had to say to Taro about his thought,

I agree. My wife and I wrote a note with both of our cell numbers and dropped them in the mailboxes of our elderly neighbors offering assistance any way we can. I then went on to give my assessment of why those seniors are in the plight that they are and what MY thoughts are on how the government should handle things. Never mentioned any particular politician or party(besides Reagan and just fyi, he's dead) and I feel it fell in line with the conversation already started by @Neo and commented on by Taro. When I have my PT done for the morning, I'll head over to the politics thread to share the rest, because politics only go one way around here and I have a right to have a voice.

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Hockey rinks are still open. Would you go play? Sweating men breathing heavily, what could go wrong? 

The rinks in Rochester are shutting down.  Lakeshore and Bill Gray's have.  Interestingly Francois Methot was out advertising hockey clinics in the middle of the day "now that school is closed".  Not sure if that has changed and Rochester Ice Center has closed.  Paul Louis announced it was staying open.  Those two rinks I believe are owned by the same group so it would make sense.  I'll be curious if that sticks.  My kid is supposed to start a Spring League at Paul Louis in April.. expect that to not happen.

My kids are still on school time.  They are getting work from their teachers and even if they weren't they would be on school time.  This isn't a vacation.  If our school wasn't providing materials we'd have inserted them into a home schooling curriculum. 

• Like (+1) 1