COVID-19

Indabuff

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I hope JetBlue shares their information with every competitor in the airline industry (domestic and international), as well as with the cruise ship, bus, and rail travel industries.

Addendum: if that were to happen, not even Air Koryo would allow him to board one of their planes!

Edited by Crosschecking
addendum
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

Just like some of the vaccines that are in trials this sounds promising, but will likely have no effect on this current outbreak.  Identifying the best neutralizing IgG's, testing them for efficacy and then scaling up even if done at light speed on a pharmaceutical development scale with lifting of normal regulations will take months.

I think a more likely current intervention that I first read about weeks ago, but have heard more of the TV MD's mentioning recently is to recover plasma (and the antibodies therein) from recovered covid19 patients and giving it to the sick and most vulnerable as a form of passive immunization.   

Yes, this will takes months to a year given all the red tape, but will be good thing to ha e for the “next round”. Fresh frozen plasma can be given, as it was during the Ebola outbreak, but would only be done on a very small scale. It would also need to be pooled and will come with risk of infections and you need willing donors. Millennials need money, right?

14 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

It's just subconsciously reinforcing the importance of social distancing. We're all on our own little isles for the moment. And at least we have something with carbs... wait, not the light stuff!

What, no Star Wars paraphrasing?  Hurt I am.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

It's just subconsciously reinforcing the importance of social distancing. We're all on our own little isles for the moment. And at least we have something with carbs... wait, not the light stuff!

BEE01167-6316-4093-B136-2B53C59C309E.jpeg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Claude_Verret said:

Traditional media and social media are contributing to the hysteria, no doubt about it.  But....these measures that are being put in place are very much prudent and necessary.  Unfortunately, when these types of unprecedented measures are put into action in a world drenched in 24/7 media coverage and rampant social media misinformation you end up getting what we are now witnessing with the hoarding and general hysteria.

As a population this is a very big problem.  I'm not scared for myself or my family because I know the risk is low if any of us were to become infected, but the right thing to do and the altruistic thing to do for society as a whole is to follow these guidelines as best as we can on a population scale, preferably without the run on grocery stores and pharmacies.  If we end up seeing what is happening in Italy here in this country, rationing of patient care because there isn't enough healthcare infrastructure to properly treat all those who truly need it, then we ain't seen nothing yet in terms of mass panic.  That could still happen..or it might not.  Nobody knows, but erring on the side of caution with the current measures is unquestionably the right thing to do at this point.

The MSM can be a very bitter pill to swallow (no pun intended). But all of the unfiltered disinformation that preys upon the naive has definitely turned out to be extremely dangerous (which goes without saying, of course).

16 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I will be back at the hospital starting in the morning. 

There are already so many measures in place, I have to immediately be fitted for a N95 mask which means I have to shave my beard (very sad as I just got a little tan, and now it'll look weird ??

From what I've heard from colleagues, it's been nothing short of hell on earth, and these are the things that we signed up for when we went into this field. 

I'll try and post a little bit more on this subject as I face it head on and have a better feel personally, there is too much noise/chaos/hysteria coming from all those noise boxes. I really need to see this in action. 

Probably a good thing that you've been doing all that exercise lately to get in shape.  I would think that will serve to your benefit.  Good luck buddy.

5 hours ago, josie said:

Yep. That's the end of my aerial studio. Financially we won't survive this. Just one of many business casualties. But if it saves lives, worth it.

But if your gym or favorite place has memberships or merch or anything, consider tossing some bucks their way, or vocal support. A local outcry of love might make the difference to an owner's livelihood.

I am curious what kind of financial measures are put in place to protect small businesses.  At the same time, I do think, what would your aerial studio (in this example) do if the place burned to the ground?  Naturally (hopefully) they would have insurance, but would the money be provided back quick enough to save the business?  It happens in a lot of cases of fire, that the small business doesn't recover.  Same for floods and other disasters.

Without some level of relief I would imagine there will be a lot of bankruptcies and those will hurt the economy even more.  At some point I think there will be a plan floated to help resolve these issues because the impact of not doing so will be far greater.  Don't live without the hope.

Aaaaaand, I'm out of a job. My company wouldn't close the joint so the governor did. 8 pm tonight our doors shut. Unemployment, here I come. My other options are to burn all my PTO(barely have any left, not happening), collect unemployment, or salaried employees can go in and clean. So I'm going in to clean the place. It'll be strange going to work and doing actual work. I've haven't done that since I was 19. 

We're officially shut down for 2 weeks. I'm sure they won't have me cleaning much after that. I'm planning on having a (hopefully) short unemployment stay.

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Aaaaaand, I'm out of a job. My company wouldn't close the joint so the governor did. 8 pm tonight our doors shut. Unemployment, here I come. My other options are to burn all my PTO(barely have any left, not happening), collect unemployment, or salaried employees can go in and clean. So I'm going in to clean the place. It'll be strange going to work and doing actual work. I've haven't done that since I was 19. 

We're officially shut down for 2 weeks. I'm sure they won't have me cleaning much after that. I'm planning on having a (hopefully) short unemployment stay.

The government is giving Paid Leave for 80 hours of work 

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

I am sorry to hear this --- Good luck and good skill to you in the hunt as this gets underway.

This is going to be a weird ripple effect --- first restaurants/little shops that need the constant customer turnover, then the bigger companies that already have allocated project funding that will carry through the short-term, but not be supported for new projects into next year. It'll rebound, and hopefully you land an even better gig on the next bounce.

In a hockey parallel, it's kind of like the Sabres offseason. You shut down every restaurant and bar and service for a month --- and whole boatload of folks essentially become free agents. Except --- some of the employers/teams will contract altogether during the lockout, or a new crop of rookies enters the workforce.

Im surprised more retail stores(non food related) haven’t shutdown.  With schools out and kids looking for places to go, I would think it’s only a matter a time before malls(germ breeding ground) and other retail stores close up shop. 

Edited by LabattBlue

9 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

It most likely been going around much longer, thing is that  countries like South-Korea that had to deal with SARS have a good supply of test kits.   Something the West is severely lacking in.

We could have had plenty, all we had to do was accept South Korea's offer.

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

That's one way of viewing it. I would imagine those that are dead, wouldn't agree with you.

As of right now, the deaths I see from influenza, cancer, heart disease and etc are gravely higher than this Coronavirus. I worked through H1N1, and I do a lot of epidemiologic work in the 3rd world. 

I'm not trying to downplay this whole thing, but I do belive the fact that every death and every new case being thrown in our face is making this seem worse than it actually is (at this point). 

If this was ebola, or leprosy or something with tangible severe outcomes then yes, this is all warranted, but this is essentially the flu, in a loose sense of the word. And we are acting like flu season has never happened. 

I am also far too cynical from being in this career, so I will admit that isn't helping me in my stance on this. 

I just wish common sense would take hold more in the general public 

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

As of right now, the deaths I see from influenza, cancer, heart disease and etc are gravely higher than this Coronavirus. I worked through H1N1, and I do a lot of epidemiologic work in the 3rd world. 

I'm not trying to downplay this whole thing, but I do belive the fact that every death and every new case being thrown in our face is making this seem worse than it actually is (at this point). 

If this was ebola, or leprosy or something with tangible severe outcomes then yes, this is all warranted, but this is essentially the flu, in a loose sense of the word. And we are acting like flu season has never happened. 

I am also far too cynical from being in this career, so I will admit that isn't helping me in my stance on this. 

I just wish common sense would take hold more in the general public 

I agree with what your saying, except, if we have the ability to curtail the spread by implementing these, I think they're calling them Social Separation? Not sure on that, but if implementing them saves lives, I don't see an issue with it. Whether or not it works, well, that's a different story altogether I guess. It looks like several of you are in the medical field, so all I can go by is public reports and some conversations from some overseas and so on.

What I don't get is the mass hysteria purchasing of products like TP, then it bleeds over to many other products. I got to tell ya Wyldnwoody, my sister in law is a nurse, she's not happy about what happened to her, but she's cool headed about it.

My step daughter works as a cashier at Aldi's on NFBLVD right by the Niagara/Erie county line, the stories she's coming home with these past several days are hilarious, but also just sad. Human behavior I guess.

Just now, Scottysabres said:

I agree with what your saying, except, if we have the ability to curtail the spread by implementing these, I think they're calling them Social Separation? Not sure on that, but if implementing them saves lives, I don't see an issue with it. Whether or not it works, well, that's a different story altogether I guess. It looks like several of you are in the medical field, so all I can go by is public reports and some conversations from some overseas and so on.

What I don't get is the mass hysteria purchasing of products like TP, then it bleeds over to many other products. I got to tell ya Wyldnwoody, my sister in law is a nurse, she's not happy about what happened to her, but she's cool headed about it.

My step daughter works as a cashier at Aldi's on NFBLVD right by the Niagara/Erie county line, the stories she's coming home with these past several days are hilarious, but also just sad. Human behavior I guess.

I get It, I saw people basically running over each other, black Friday style just for basic things, humanity is not a pleasamt sight at this time. 

When it comes to the news and the media, that is where I have a bit of an issue. Social separation is fine, and being informational and educational about this in the correct way would go a long way with this. But instead of helpful PSA's we are basically getting fear mongering. 

This is a very tough issues we are facing and there appear to be 2 distinct sides, from my medical training I am finding it hard to believe all of this over this virus. From someone not medically trained, I can see how this would seem like doomsday. 

My hope is that in 2-4 weeks max, we start seeing the light. I'm not hoping people get infected by any means, but my gut tells me many have and have made it through before the hysteria even started. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I get It, I saw people basically running over each other, black Friday style just for basic things, humanity is not a pleasamt sight at this time. 

When it comes to the news and the media, that is where I have a bit of an issue. Social separation is fine, and being informational and educational about this in the correct way would go a long way with this. But instead of helpful PSA's we are basically getting fear mongering. 

This is a very tough issues we are facing and there appear to be 2 distinct sides, from my medical training I am finding it hard to believe all of this over this virus. From someone not medically trained, I can see how this would seem like doomsday. 

My hope is that in 2-4 weeks max, we start seeing the light. I'm not hoping people get infected by any means, but my gut tells me many have and have made it through before the hysteria even started. 

I'm with ya, I'm not sweating it myself, i'll be 50 in November, but I'm a smoker (ya, ya, I know lol) but I also work outdoors a great deal, climb steel, stay fairly active, outside of a light dose of recently prescribed blood pressure pills, I'll be just fine.

But, my mom, 72, COPD, emphysema and had a quadruple bi-pass 4 years ago, yea, I'm definitely more than concerned. And it's because of that unique situation that I think many may feel the same way. I know she's definitely freaked out by the virus itself and what it could do. So some of the reactions, at least in those cases that face a higher risk, are more than understandable. And in this nation, there are a lot of elderly, and a lot of pre=existing conditions.