COVID-19

Indabuff

3 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I have a second colonoscopy in 2 years coming up in two weeks because they didn't do a biopsy on the last one. Sadly. The fistulotomy scared all the doctors that weren't taking my issues as seriously as they should have, now they are scrambling for answers. Even doctors make mistakes I guess.

I’m certainly not talking about extraordinary cases like you may be experiencing. And of course, sorry to hear about your health issues like that. ??

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

In fairness, knowing my wife she would have bought more than one pack but Wegman's had a limit of one per shopper.

Facial disguises have been working well for me.  I think the cashiers realize I'm the same person but are giving me credit for going to such a great length for a pack of toilet paper.

1 hour ago, josie said:

My mother always said the worst curse to put upon someone was "may you live in interesting times". 

My good friend is a nurse at ECMC. 2 unconfirmed cases in the ER in quarantine as of last night and a family that just returned from France.

Just be patient, kind, and careful. Be extra nice to the people working the checkout registers, etc. 

There's no win. We either take precautions and the outcome isn't as horrifying as potentially expected and everyone crows that it was no big deal/overblown, or we don't take precautions, ***** hits the fan, and we're all standing there with our proverbial sausage in our hands going "why didn't someone do something?"

I personally don't care to find out how well I handle bilateral pneumonia, nor do I care to see how my ailing 73 year old father takes to it when a simple cold almost knocked him out this month. But if people wanna doomsday prep, well, whatever. No sense in getting nasty when this is out of everyone's control. We're all learning how to handle this unprecedented situation. 

giphy-1.gif

My 80 year old father has been wearing grampers for 7 weeks since he picked up a superbug in the hospital when he was in with another ailment. Talked to him last night and his mortality was front and center. He said he’s basically a goner if this gets near him. I suspect its a forgone conclusion. Needless to say he’s staying in till this blows over with a very limited list of visitors that keep him supplied.

• Sad 3

46 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The mass hysteria we are seeing is beyond what should be happening, I just simply don't understand it, not even a little. Toilet paper for a respiratory virus, cmon people. 

Social media, "news", etc have ruined this planet. If we want to beat this, stay home, wash your hands, don't be an idiot. Simple as that. 

You could have chimed in BEFORE I built this goddam catapult!

1 hour ago, Claude_Verret said:

For those concerned about reliable information sources I suggest not listening to the  TV news, social media, random blogs, sports radio hosts or what you heard from a friend.  The doctors you hear pontificating on TV and the internet are largely getting their information from the published literature.  Here is a good resource that I found from the National University of Singapore that is compiling the latest information and research in a weekly digest format.  You can either scan the summaries or dive deeper into the provided citations so that you can look up and read the papers for yourself.  No middle man/woman required.

https://sph.nus.edu.sg/covid-19/

Also CIDRAP 

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19 

ECDC

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/rapid-risk-assessment-novel-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-pandemic-increased 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Ugh, OK.... Yesterday I flew into Miami and then NYC, the number of people wearing masks and improperly using gloves was remarkable. The education on this needs to be better. 

2nd, this virus is only dangerous to the very young, the very old, and those with multiple co-morbid conditions. I would guess that half of those that get it, would be fine in a week without ever knowing they had it. 

The bad part, the incubation period seems to be longer than the normal influenza A or B, and the consequences of this respiratory virus can be attributed to that of SARS, also can cause concurrent pneumonia and possible ARDS (but so can any virus) 

The mass hysteria we are seeing is beyond what should be happening, I just simply don't understand it, not even a little. Toilet paper for a respiratory virus, cmon people. 

Social media, "news", etc have ruined this planet. If we want to beat this, stay home, wash your hands, don't be an idiot. Simple as that. 

My job is now pure Sh1t because of this, every single time an outbreak of anything happens, fear and panic make it 10000x worse than it needs to be. 

Most of the hysteria is because of quarantines and the slow government response dispite statement that it was under control... no one trusts any of the politicians on either side

Just now, North Buffalo said:

Most of the hysteria is because of quarantines and the slow government response dispite statement that it was under control... no one trusts any of the politicians on either side

I haven't trusted a politician ever. Or any hospital administrators for that matter. 

But then again, I find it hard to trust many people in general. But cynicysm aside, this can be handled a lot better if we used the media to give medical info/advice and calmly explained things. But, it's 2020,so that won't happen 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Eleven said:

What were they putting the gloves on?!

Just touching everything and then touching other things. Sure, your hands may be OK, but you're not actually helping the spread of anything. 

Also saw people touching their face with gloves, coughing into the glove, not changing them, etc. 

We aren't a smart population, us homosapiens

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Only thing I can say is, corona really seems to want Trump.   3rd guy this week he has been in close contact with has come down with it.   ?

With Bolsonaro the count is up to 4 corona infected people touching trump in the last week ?

2 hours ago, Claude_Verret said:

For those concerned about reliable information sources I suggest not listening to the  TV news, social media, random blogs, sports radio hosts or what you heard from a friend.  The doctors you hear pontificating on TV and the internet are largely getting their information from the published literature.  Here is a good resource that I found from the National University of Singapore that is compiling the latest information and research in a weekly digest format.  You can either scan the summaries or dive deeper into the provided citations so that you can look up and read the papers for yourself.  No middle man/woman required.

https://sph.nus.edu.sg/covid-19/

On this note, if you are truly interested in the virus and want to educate yourself on it, watch this linked Joe Rogan podcast with Michael Osterholm.

You will learn all that you need to know and then some in 1.5 hours.  No editing, no commercials, no arguing and fighting, no communicating in sound bites.  Just a long conversation with a guy who probably knows as much about this sort of thing as anyone on Earth.

And then you'll wonder why you try to get news from traditional media outlets.  

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

Edited by Kruppstahl
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

The extra TP is so we don’t have to get to a store should this virus become widespread in our community.  We bought two 36 roll packs.  I figure best case we don't need to buy TP for quite awhile.

Worst case scenario: you won't need to buy TP for quite a while either.

1 hour ago, Claude_Verret said:

The best thing about this post is knowing that shitload isn't caught by the filter.  Interesting.  In fairness, knowing my wife she would have bought more than one pack but Wegman's had a limit of one per shopper.

The filter needs whitespace around words to replace them I suspect.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Im not gonna get caught up in the hype or run to Wegmans to stock up on stuff. 

My wife and I have 20 rolls of toilet paper. That’s gonna last us 2 months at least. My god who the heck ? three or more times a day where you go thru a roll a day or more? Time for a dr visit then ?

IF I was cut off from all supplies and food today. I have 2-3 weeks of it. No question. Only thing lacking would be fresh fruit and fresh veggies after a few days. But I have frozen bags so that’s not really an issue either. I can respect being prepared and being cautious… But I also see the hype train going wild causing semi-panic with the general public.

Most people don't have that, to be honest. It's a fairly "adult" thing to do. Think about all the jokes around people with nothing but beer and condiments in the fridge.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

The extra TP is so we don’t have to get to a store should this virus become widespread in our community.  We bought two 36 roll packs.  I figure best case we don't need to buy TP for quite awhile.

Other than that, our pantry is full.  We are good for a mandatory confinement period if needed.

Wife went to the store last night for our normal weekly grocery shopping and she said the meat counter was bare.  I’ve never seen a run on meat during a natural “disaster “ warning.  So much for steaks tonight.

There was nothing but lamb chops at Wegs last night. I'm not much of a meat eater so whatever.

19 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Fair warning: it takes a LOT of beer to make sausage.

I have 6 cases of Genesee 12 Horse in my bunker, so you'll just need to take care of yourself.

6 minutes ago, MattPie said:

The filter needs whitespace around words to replace them I suspect.

Most people don't have that, to be honest. It's a fairly "adult" thing to do. Think about all the jokes around people with nothing but beer and condiments in the fridge.

There was nothing but lamb chops at Wegs last night. I'm not much of a meat eater so whatever.

There were plenty of veggie burgers in the frozen food section. I stocked up. I'm going to eat them anyway, but now I just have extra.

I'm going to have to learn to eat everything with lettuce wraps though since apparently sandwich bread doesn't exist anymore.

• Haha (+1) 2

Apparently Chinese and Japanes scientists found out this Corona strain might have origin from USA and might be linked to those vaper deaths over the summer.   
Its a strain that might come out of a military lab that got shut down with a military base nearby.   You might ask how it got to Wuhan, there were militay games in wuhan in Octobre.  

Colleague just showed me article today from japanese scientists on his phone.   My tin foil hat is buzzing ?

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Apparently Chinese and Japanes scientists found out this Corona strain might have origin from USA and might be linked to those vaper deaths over the summer.   
Its a strain that might come out of a military lab that got shut down with a military base nearby.   You might ask how it got to Wuhan, there were militay games in wuhan in Octobre.  

Colleague just showed me article today from japanese scientists on his phone.   My tin foil hat is buzzing ?

For the love of god, pull your head out of the microwave man! The magnetron hates foil.

Edited by MattPie

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Given their wet markets I find that hard to believe

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Given their wet markets I find that hard to believe

Besides, that was attributed to Vitamin E Acetate. If nothing else, those vape deaths would have infected people around them if it were a coronavirus.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/11/11/20959198/vaping-vitamin-e-acetate

24 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re trolling.  Odd time to do that, but to each his own.