COVID-19

Indabuff

19 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

Thank you! I know  I'm not the only one on here who is trying to handle this sensitive subject with as balanced an approach as possible. ATST, it goes without saying that there will be those who live on the fringes and are completely devoid of any common sense like this idiot: https://www.christianpost.com/news/tithe-paying-christians-are-protected-from-coronavirus-by-psalm-91-pastor-brian-tamaki-claims.html

Most everyone here knows that I'm a believer, but even I know that this is full of poppycock.

I am sitting in a classroom in a seminary, and the professor has asked us to space ourselves throughout the room so that if one person is sick, we have an appropriate social distance. Holy water has been removed from the chapel and replaced by hand sanitizer; we no longer consume from the chalice at Mass. 

Apparently we will not be saved by Psalm 91.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The day I listen to Joe Rogan for information is the day my mind has gone for good.

His show his pretty good.

I also know the the guy he is talking to loves to sell books.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I would direct you to look at the lengths China went to in order to keep  it “under control” there.  That is a government which is not nearly as concerned with people pleasing.  Basically all governments around the world are taking steps similar to what the US is doing, more extreme steps in many cases.

I don't think China did all that much tbh.   The hospital they build was just a huge quarantined zone with 4 walls and some beds.   They still didn't have enough room for all the sick and a lot died at home.   China was also really late in containing and reporting this outbreak.

I don't know the more I think about it, the more it looks like a testcase.   Let a mild flu like desease out in the world and see how everyone reacts to it.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Check out @MODO Hockey on twitter for an explanation that is unwelcome here.

why is that ? 

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't know the more I think about it, the more it looks like a testcase.   Let a mild flu like desease out in the world and see how everyone reacts to it.

Who do you propose was initiating this test? Surely not the Chinese. Not because I think they wouldn't sacrifice thousands of their own citizens for the "greater good" but rather because they are all about control, and control is achieved through economic stability. Setting something like this on the world, especially emanating first in their own country, is a recipe for a massive global recession which is not at all in their best interests, even less so than the US.   

36 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Regardless of what you think of Rogan, this is worth a listen. 

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

Full episode is, frankly, not for the faint of heart.

[The Joe Rogan Experience] #1439 - Michael Osterholm 
https://podplayer.net/?id=98491658

First 5 minutes I thought, this guy is just spreading fear, after that he seemed to know what he was talking about.  

Thing over here is and probably in USA as well.   We have a very aging population , a virus like this that spreads easy.   Mortality rate in Europe might as well be around 10 % and dominant in the 60 + age groups.   I did like how he talked about medical supplies, my health minister always exported a lot of meds out of the country.   But now she  has her back up against the wall because test kits, and other medical supplies will run out in few weeks.

They don't even test you anymore, just call  your house doctor if you got a cold and he will tell you to stay home for 7 days ...

Edited by Huckleberry

9 minutes ago, Sakman said:

Who do you propose was initiating this test? Surely not the Chinese. Not because I think they wouldn't sacrifice thousands of their own citizens for the "greater good" but rather because they are all about control, and control is achieved through economic stability. Setting something like this on the world, especially emanating first in their own country, is a recipe for a massive global recession which is not at all in their best interests, even less so than the US.   

I don't look at this as a country doing this, the real power isn't with the countries but with the multinationals.

42 minutes ago, Sakman said:

There were growing protests in China leading up to the Wuhan. No better way to keep people off the streets. Not saying I believe it, but not saying I would be surprised if it turned out to be true, either.

• Like (+1) 1

Disclaimer:  I have not attended medical school, used an electron microscope, interviewed anyone at the U.N., or traveled to the Netherlands.  Presented without agenda, xenophobia, racism, the color purple, or any disrespect to pine cones ...

The CDC ....  interesting, and I had no idea. 

23 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Already some rumours its coming out of a lab, wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

That has been the speculation by some early on.  The fact that it seems to have started in close proximity to a virology lab in the Wuhan area.  My interest was piqued when I read that the genome sequencing of it was identified in "less than two weeks" by Chinese officials when it allegedly takes six months to a year.  They attributed the rapid identification to a "probable advancement in technology".  Really?  Like all of a sudden?  I don't work in the medical field and those that do on here could probably shut me down on this faster than a backup goalie against the Sabres' offense but that's what I read.  I don't have the energy to find a link either but it is/was out there and I'm sure it can be located.

Edited by Indabuff
I did stay at a Super 8 last night

21 minutes ago, Neo said:

Disclaimer:  I have not attended medical school, used an electron microscope, interviewed anyone at the U.N., or traveled to the Netherlands.  Presented without agenda, xenophobia, racism, the color purple, or any disrespect to pine cones ...

The CDC ....  interesting, and I had no idea. 

Why do you hate pine cones?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kristian said:

Mortality rate for elderly is higher, but you’re forgetting the shadow-figures. Studies claim that every confirmed case needs to be multiplied by 27, to give a best estimate of the actual number of cases.

The problem with this one is not it’s mortality rate, but that a staggering number of people contract it, all at once.

I’m not forgetting the “shadow figure”. I just can’t speak in hypotheticals, but can only comment on the current data we have. If I were to comment on “shadow figures”, I would state that known influenza cases are on the tip of the iceberg and the majority don’t make it to medical attention. 

8 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

The Utah Jazz got something like 50+ plus kits at the drop of a hat. But the general public can't seem to get any. That came from Paul Hamilton on the Schopp show about an hour ago.

NPR had a discussion with one of the Jazz journalists.  When the Jazz player failed the influenza test they finally gave the COVID test.  When he tested positive the OKC health department prioritized testing for the team, etc.  That's why it happened.  The journalist has NOT had the test however.  He had already returned to Utah.  He heard the news last night and pulled himself and his kid from the public event they were at and has self-quarantined for now.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Sending PM.

Send me too.. although I have ways to reach out to him... I am lazy. ?

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

I am sitting in a classroom in a seminary, and the professor has asked us to space ourselves throughout the room so that if one person is sick, we have an appropriate social distance. Holy water has been removed from the chapel and replaced by hand sanitizer; we no longer consume from the chalice at Mass. 

Apparently we will not be saved by Psalm 91.

I'm more in line with the Puritan/Reformed Baptist persuasion. I've talked with the pastor of the church we're visiting and told him that we would be suspending our visits for the time being. As it is, my wife is immunosuppressed, which means that it's much easier for her to get sick than me. Being in line with his character, he completely understood. He knew that we didn't want anyone there to get sick on our account, especially the elderly.

But, my point was that when men spout off this kind of stuff only confirms in my mind that they have no business being in the pulpit in the first place. Even worse is that twisting the Scriptures to push a narrative like that is doing way more harm than good - especially when public health could be further jeopardized and a possibly subsequent legal fallout.

BTW, I can't believe this scumbag is still trying to pull tricks out of his sleeves. https://www.christianpost.com/news/missouri-attorney-general-sues-jim-bakker-show-ministry-for-selling-silver-solution-as-possible-coronavirus-cure.html

Edited by Crosschecking
addendum