COVID-19

Indabuff

For a lot of us, this is uncharted territory. Most of the people who survived the Spanish flu over 100 years ago are just about all gone now. Yet, they got through it. We will too.

Prayers going up.

(BTW, if any of you need prayers, send me a PM.)

I just spent about an hour listening to the radio in the car and learning some things--from Schopp of all people.  I'm starting to take this a little more seriously than I did a month ago; still not in panic mode though.  Anyone know why we don't have test kits in the US like they do in South Korea?  Especially since we had more of a head start?

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I just spent about an hour listening to the radio in the car and learning some things--from Schopp of all people.  I'm starting to take this a little more seriously than I did a month ago; still not in panic mode though.  Anyone know why we don't have test kits in the US like they do in South Korea?  Especially since we had more of a head start?

The Utah Jazz got something like 50+ plus kits at the drop of a hat. But the general public can't seem to get any. That came from Paul Hamilton on the Schopp show about an hour ago.

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Free market health care and "It can't happen here". I can't think of a better reason. There were issues with the CDC kits, but even so no one seems to have taken it seriously until the last couple days.

9 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I just heard that 80% of people that contract the virus don't realize they have it and recover on their own. This doesn't seem to make sense to me. They could be infecting many many others that could seem to cause a balloon effect at some point.

My partner had a wheezy cough a few weeks ago; we're wondering. Neither I nor my daughter caught anything though.

14 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Free market health care and "It can't happen here". I can't think of a better reason. There were issues with the CDC kits, but even so no one seems to have taken it seriously until the last couple days.

My partner had a wheezy cough a few weeks ago; we're wondering. Neither I nor my daughter caught anything though.

Fingers crossed

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

Covid-19 mortality rate in Italy is currently about 5%. My contacts in Wuhan have always referred to the mortality rate as 5%. They are not even ventilating people over the age of 70 in Italy. Still just the flu?

Be aware that the number Tony Fauci gave was somewhere between 1-2 percent, so at best it is 10x the mortality rate of the flu. Also, bare in mind that the mortality rate is different depending on your age, with those over 60 being published anywhere between 12-18% mortality rate. 

Mortality rate for elderly is higher, but you’re forgetting the shadow-figures. Studies claim that every confirmed case needs to be multiplied by 27, to give a best estimate of the actual number of cases.

The problem with this one is not it’s mortality rate, but that a staggering number of people contract it, all at once.

1 hour ago, Claude Balls said:

The Utah Jazz got something like 50+ plus kits at the drop of a hat. But the general public can't seem to get any. That came from Paul Hamilton on the Schopp show about an hour ago.

That is exactly what got me started.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Weave said:

That’s a hell of an article.  Sobering.

Just convinced me that Friday night whiskey night is at home for awhile.

Just cancelled two family spring breaks.  Only family travel north and south, no hotels or airplanes.  That article hit me.  I am open to criticism.  I had two hours.  I did it.  I’m not afraid of the virus.  I’m afraid of being a link between the disease and human beings.  Now, time for self quarantine reflection.  My science and math:  Risk Overreact < Risk Underreact.  It’s all I got.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/03/11/coronavirus-covid-19-response-hurt-by-shortage-testing-components/5013586002/

You know, maybe, just maybe, protectionism on some of these type of production facilities would have been helpful, instead of spending the last 40 years allowing THIS NATION'S manufacturing capacity across the board to be drained away like waste water and actually supporting it through silence on it while many of us in the middle class were screaming about it for a few decades now.

A Zen thought for the day.

The article explains it form those in the industry.

Edited by Scottysabres

So Idiot panic government here put everything in lockdown.

Schools: Kids whose parents have to go to work and don't have anyone to take care of them are allowed to go to school, Grand parents are not allowed to have contact with young kids so 75% of kids will be in school anyway.   Might as well keep them open maybe ? certainly seeing any spread has not come through young kids.

Worst thing is, they closed down all bars, ***** wtf do they think I will sit home all day for 6 weeks while I will still have to go to work anyways.  ***** them.

32 minutes ago, Neo said:

Just cancelled two family spring breaks.  Only family travel north and south, no hotels or airplanes.  That article hit me.  I am open to criticism.  I had two hours.  I did it.  I’m not afraid of the virus.  I’m afraid of being a link between the disease and human beings.  Now, time for self quarantine reflection.  My science and math:  Risk Overreact < Risk Underreact.  It’s all I got.

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So Idiot panic government here put everything in lockdown.

Schools: Kids whose parents have to go to work and don't have anyone to take care of them are allowed to go to school, Grand parents are not allowed to have contact with young kids so 75% of kids will be in school anyway.   Might as well keep them open maybe ? certainly seeing any spread has not come through young kids.

Worst thing is, they closed down all bars, ***** wtf do they think I will sit home all day for 6 weeks while I will still have to go to work anyways.  ***** them.

Differences in perspective.  These posts have it.

33 minutes ago, Neo said:

I’m afraid of being a link between the disease and human beings.  Now, time for self quarantine reflection.  My science and math:  Risk Overreact < Risk Underreact.  It’s all I got.

This is exactly where I am at right now.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Differences in perspective.  These posts have it.

This is exactly where I am at right now.

Yeah well I don't know what to believe right now, those same scientists who claimed closing schools was no use, that it was nothing worse than a small flu.   Are now still contradicting each other.    I think its more Politicians trying to save their ass and saying at least they can't say we didn't do anything. 

Looking for advice from engineers on here on how to construct a low budget moat.  Gators optional.

Everyone's been whipped into a frenzy in such a short amount of time.  I think the realization of inconvenience is setting in for a lot of people.  The fact that people are emptying shelves at stores is just making matters worse by congregating in close proximity in these areas.  I'm not saying don't be overly cautious but the hysteria is not helping.  It's a domino effect.  If I bought all the plastic utensils from the local stores would people obsess about finding them if they passed by an empty shelf where they used to be?

"Margaret, I don't know why but they're sold out of plastic utensils at Walmart!!!"

"Well you need to find them Dave!  Go to Tops and Wegmans!  Don't come home without those ***** utensils!"

Edited by Indabuff
Just trying to lighten the mood and stay levelheaded
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

We're not allowed to bring up politics so I can't answer this for you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1