COVID-19

Indabuff

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I've always eaten a few at a time and been fine.

A few are fine. Don’t go eating a handful. I personally don’t like them. Too bitter and they are about 50% seed. My wife makes pies for her Dad and I am a pie fanatic, but not that one. I’ll pass.

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

All I can do is my part.  If someone else wants to do something that may help propagate the virus, that’s on them.  I’ve said several times on this subject that sometimes we need to be responsible to more than ourselves.  Staying home isn’t a great sacrifice.

Fortunately for me, fishing isn’t a social activity.  I can do that this weekend abd be isolated the whole time.

Wife and myself do volunteer work, 1 of the programs has cancelled and 1 has not.

The only conundrum that would have us both in a very similar routine as you.

Edited by woods-racer

Just now, Ogre said:

A few are fine. Don’t go eating a handful. I personally don’t like them. Too bitter and they are about 50% seed. My wife makes pies for her Dad and I am a pie fanatic, but not that one. I’ll pass.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...

Your dislike of elderberry pie is not fathomable.

Heck, you probably don't like strawberry rhubarb either.

And you call yourself an Ogre....

?

Just landed in Miami from Havana, had 10 days without internet/wifi and it was actually pretty nice. 3 people from Italy just brought the virus to Trinidad last night. 

I am almost in shock with how far this has come and how quickly in those 10 days. Flights being cancelled, etc. 

I honestly think this will pass in a few months, but aggressive measures may be needed in the next 1-2 months to contain the spreading. 

All I know is that working in Healthcare is going to suck until this goes away. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I have been on business travel all week.  Thus trip was planned 8 weeks ago.  I left Monday.  On Tuesday my company restricted travel, restricted hiring, and is expanding work from home options.  

I just got to Buffalo today, not my home or final destination, just a planned visits to see family.  Monday I fly home - to more aircraft to go   

I can can tell you  both of my flights to Buffalo were only half full and it was quiet and sobering.  I wish I was home.  I feel like I got caught in the crossfire between my companies actions and all the other turmoil right now.  

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

People who genuinely think that what he called a hoax was coronavirus itself, rather than what he perceived (correctly or incorrectly) to be a political weapon thrown against him, have let him so far into their heads that they will never be able to keep him out of main board topics 

The president is not who I was referring to.

Edited by Eleven

Several conferences just canceled their basketball tournaments.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Please cease and desist with this BS, which, as both of you are well aware, is highly likely to drag this thread off the rails.  People are trying to have a conversation here.  If you need to make these unfunny, unclever observations, please keep them in the politics club.

The president is not who I was referring to, and it is not BS.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Please cease and desist with this BS, which, as both of you are well aware, is highly likely to drag this thread off the rails.  People are trying to have a conversation here.  If you need to make these unfunny, unclever observations, please keep them in the politics club.

Hold on there captain.  I'm not sure we want those there either. ?

I'm just focused on the impacts right now.  On the board of 3 organizations and it's constant discussion about how we handle every event/public interaction at this point.  All of it day by day because things are so fluid.

Everything got shut down here nationwide, yesterday.

All non-essential public employees have been suspended, all schools and universities closed down, all public events canceled, and everyone in the non-production private sector are encouraged to work from home where possible.

The idea is no longer to contain the virus, but to slow the rate of infection, to keep the healthcare system from collapsing.

• Like (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Just landed in Miami from Havana, had 10 days without internet/wifi and it was actually pretty nice. 3 people from Italy just brought the virus to Trinidad last night. 

I am almost in shock with how far this has come and how quickly in those 10 days. Flights being cancelled, etc. 

I honestly think this will pass in a few months, but aggressive measures may be needed in the next 1-2 months to contain the spreading. 

All I know is that working in Healthcare is going to suck until this goes away. 

be safe buy bleach and soap for wherever you are staying and practice namaste...

15 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You don't know if it's worse or not? The best news we've heard lately is that the mortality rate is only 1%, not 3.4%. 1% is ten times the mortality rate of the flu.

The following is pretty troubling news, but might explain how highly contagious the disease is:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487110-tests-indicate-coronavirus-can-survive-in-the-air

Covid-19 mortality rate in Italy is currently about 5%. My contacts in Wuhan have always referred to the mortality rate as 5%. They are not even ventilating people over the age of 70 in Italy. Still just the flu?

Be aware that the number Tony Fauci gave was somewhere between 1-2 percent, so at best it is 10x the mortality rate of the flu. Also, bare in mind that the mortality rate is different depending on your age, with those over 60 being published anywhere between 12-18% mortality rate. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Claude_Verret said:

Reading further into the CDC test kit rollout failures seems to me  to be a typical government red tape failure.

Apparently the original test kits had a bad negative control included in them. In other words, the nucleic acid control they included in the test kits were giving positive results which will render all patient samples tested on that PCR plate invalid.

The CDC had published the PCR primers included in the kits which would allow many public health labs to "homebrew" their own test kits, however it appears that at least initially the CDC/FDA did not allow this to happen. For example, most labs would almost certainly have purified influenza or non COVID-19 coronavirus RNA on hand that could be employed as a negative control. Pairing such a negative control with the published primers that can be easily synthesized, a working diagnostic test could have been quickly rolled out by individual labs while the CDC worked on its manufacturing troubleshooting. 

This article provides a good overview of what went on with the CDC diagnostic kit.  RT-PCR in particular is extremely sensitive to contaminants throughout the entire chain..from reagent manufacturing all the way to improper procedures employed by an untrained or sloppy end user.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615323/why-the-cdc-botched-its-coronavirus-testing/

20 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Covid-19 mortality rate in Italy is currently about 5%. My contacts in Wuhan have always referred to the mortality rate as 5%. They are not even ventilating people over the age of 70 in Italy. Still just the flu?

Be aware that the number Tony Fauci gave was somewhere between 1-2 percent, so at best it is 10x the mortality rate of the flu. Also, bare in mind that the mortality rate is different depending on your age, with those over 60 being published anywhere between 12-18% mortality rate. 

When the smoke clears, it is expected to be 10-15 times worse than seasonal flu.

That's in terms of fatalities and just raw number of illnesses.

31 minutes ago, Kristian said:

Everything got shut down here nationwide, yesterday.

All non-essential public employees have been suspended, all schools and universities closed down, all public events canceled, and everyone in the non-production private sector are encouraged to work from home where possible.

The idea is no longer to contain the virus, but to slow the rate of infection, to keep the healthcare system from collapsing.

That's the point here. Every "I'm a 30-year-old so I'll be fine if I get sick" #($*#($ that takes up a bed/test kit/drugs is taking resources from someone who really needs it. Montgomery County PA a few miles from my house closed all their schools until the 30th. I'm sure Chester County (here in Phoenixville) will be soon.

Two weeks ago we planned a bit and are glad we did it. Nothing drastic, but bought staples (pasta, rice, oatmeal) and *some* paper products in case we need to be in the house for 15-30 days. I need to run out tonight and get some propane; we're kinda hosed if we don't have power but the grill will still work. These are things I'd normally buy and won't go bad before we used them up.

I finally found out why the run on toilet paper....

because every time someone sneezes 20 people poop their pants!

?

I won't be here for 2 more weeks, please don't try the veal, and remember to only tip your server through a credit card, no paper money transfers accepted.

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, MattPie said:

That's the point here. Every "I'm a 30-year-old so I'll be fine if I get sick" #($*#($ that takes up a bed/test kit/drugs is taking resources from someone who really needs it. Montgomery County PA a few miles from my house closed all their schools until the 30th. I'm sure Chester County (here in Phoenixville) will be soon.

Two weeks ago we planned a bit and are glad we did it. Nothing drastic, but bought staples (pasta, rice, oatmeal) and *some* paper products in case we need to be in the house for 15-30 days. I need to run out tonight and get some propane; we're kinda hosed if we don't have power but the grill will still work. These are things I'd normally buy and won't go bad before we used them up.

Why would you lose the power for an extended period of time?

16 minutes ago, shrader said:

Why would you lose the power for an extended period of time?

*Probably* won't; don't want to eat raw pasta and rice if for some reason it does. It's something I'll use up over the summer anyway, just getting a head start on buying it. ?