COVID-19

Indabuff

46 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I believe that's it, and he gets quarantined when he does come back

I think the quarantine is a fluid situation.  If I'm not mistaken it depends on certain factors.  Also, it may have changed but at one point it was an "agreement" of self quarantine.  

27 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I read somewhere that it was a hoax, and now the NBA has suspended its season and the NHL may do the same.

If the NHL does suspend the season, what happens to the draft?  Do we see an equally-weighted lottery like the Crosby year?  (I bet no.  There's no incentive for the NHL to get a star to Pittsburgh and there is every incentive for the NHL to help Detroit.)

They have standings, even if they're incomplete.  Due to the uneven number of games played, they'd probably convert it to points per game, but they have plenty of games to use to determine draft order... and seeding for an abbreviated playoff schedule.

48 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I read somewhere that it was a hoax, and now the NBA has suspended its season and the NHL may do the same.

28 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

The only person to say publicly that it was a hoax was the guy that I shall not mention for reasons who also said his uncle was a super genius. Its not a hoax.

Please cease and desist with this BS, which, as both of you are well aware, is highly likely to drag this thread off the rails.  People are trying to have a conversation here.  If you need to make these unfunny, unclever observations, please keep them in the politics club.

• Like (+1) 4

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca 

The analytically minded crowd here might appreciate this one. Would be interested in thoughts on it. 

To me the two key points are around China's ability to lock down 60 million people  - not present in Western countries AND the impact of not flattening the curve on mortality rates for Covid-19 and other unrelated illnesses or accidents that don't get addressed due to consumed hospital resources. 

• Like (+1) 1

Re Elderberry: it's pretty easy to make in a pressure cooker with dried berries. Somehow, I suspect it'll be kinda hard to find any right now though. Last year they got really expensive due to flu, so we stocked up in August. I should probably make some more up this weekend just to have it on-hand.

Just now, Sakman said:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca 

The analytically minded crowd here might appreciate this one. Would be interested in thoughts on it. 

To me the two key points are around China's ability to lock down 60 million people  - not present in Western countries AND the impact of not flattening the curve on mortality rates for Covid-19 and other unrelated illnesses or accidents that don't get addressed due to consumed hospital resources. 

Saw that earlier. I was about to say that Western (or at least North America especially) countries aren't going to be able to lock down people. "No government scientist is going to tell me what to do."

22 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Please cease and desist with this BS, which, as both of you are well aware, is highly likely to drag this thread off the rails.  People are trying to have a conversation here.  If you need to make these unfunny, unclever observations, please keep them in the politics club.

Will do.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

People who genuinely think that what he called a hoax was coronavirus itself, rather than what he perceived (correctly or incorrectly) to be a political weapon thrown against him, have let him so far into their heads that they will never be able to keep him out of main board topics 

His handling of this is my least favorite thing he's done in his presidency, but it's funny how ungrounded our (broadly, not sabrespace) self-appointed fact/moral arbiters can be

Feel free to delete this comment, I shouldn't have posted it but couldn't help it

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Re Elderberry: it's pretty easy to make in a pressure cooker with dried berries. Somehow, I suspect it'll be kinda hard to find any right now though. Last year they got really expensive due to flu, so we stocked up in August. I should probably make some more up this weekend just to have it on-hand.

They grow in the ditches like weeds here in Bloomfield. We have about 5 pounds of the little buggers in the freezer.

37 minutes ago, MattPie said:

The Sambucol extract is what has been tested in studies but its likely elderberries would also work, just might need to eat/drink more of it because its not as concentrated

Edited by matter2003

4 minutes ago, Ogre said:

They grow in the ditches like weeds here in Bloomfield. We have about 5 pounds of the little buggers in the freezer.

Every consider a side-hustle? ?

https://www.amazon.com/Elderberries-Whole-European-Berries-Frontier/dp/B000UVW4JE/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=elderberries&qid=1584028466&sr=8-7

Edited by MattPie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ogre said:

And now people will start blindly eating berries they picked off the ground.  This should be fun.  That's the real adventure in situations like this one, there's a decent proportion of our population that will believe anything they read*.  You can very easily convince a good number of people to drink bleach to kill of the virus.  Just listening in on some of the random conversations I've come across over the last few days, so many people are parroting stories that are complete works of fiction.  A quick example was this saturday I got to listen to a customer telling a Costco cashier that the olympics were just canceled.

*Don't read this as a shot at the current topic.  I'm just speaking very generally.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, shrader said:

And now people will start blindly eating berries they picked off the ground.  This should be fun.  That's the real adventure in situations like this one, there's a decent proportion of our population that will believe anything they read*.  You can very easily convince a good number of people to drink bleach to kill of the virus.  Just listening in on some of the random conversations I've come across over the last few days, so many people are parroting stories that are complete works of fiction.  A quick example was this saturday I got to listen to a customer telling a Costco cashier that the olympics were just canceled.

*Don't read this as a shot at the current topic.  I'm just speaking very generally.

We ate elderberries because they were all over the place and her grandpa really liked them. We had no idea they had any health benefits at all until years later. I’m not trying to sell snake oil. Just pointing out that elderberries are a pretty common plant in WNY.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Ogre said:

We ate elderberries because they were all over the place and her grandpa really liked them. We had no idea they had any health benefits at all until years later. I’m not trying to sell snake oil. Just pointing out that elderberries are a pretty common plant in WNY.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting any snake oil in these posts.  It just made me thing of all the other things that have and will be thrown out there that aren't based in reality.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

People who genuinely think that what he called a hoax was coronavirus itself, rather than what he perceived (correctly or incorrectly) to be a political weapon thrown against him, have let him so far into their heads that they will never be able to keep him out of main board topics 

His handling of this is my least favorite thing he's done in his presidency, but it's funny how ungrounded our (broadly, not sabrespace) self-appointed fact/moral arbiters can be

Feel free to delete this comment, I shouldn't have posted it but couldn't help it

33 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't know how it would be possible to discuss this situation without acknowledging the role our government and politics has played and will continue to play in either its spread or containment.

And here we have 2 regrettable themes that continue to manifest in this context: 

- "I know I'm right about XYZ political issue and so I'm just going to say what I think, regardless of whether this is the right time or place."

- "Everything is politics so I get to push my political agenda in every conversation about every topic."

Both of these themes are just self-absorbed BS.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sakman said:

1). Generally speaking the article is very good

2). All the numbers out of China are pure BS.  I’ve spent plenty of time in China, trust me, it’s pure BS

3).  His death rate assumptions are silly. He believes all countries except the one who tests everyone. Logic favors SK.  This drastically changes the death rate. 

4).  But most importantly what gets lost too many times in digressions-  none of that undermines the rest of his arguments.  

29 minutes ago, MattPie said:

My wife and I were just discussing this. I had no idea they were so popular. There’s a lot work to processing them, the stems have to be completely removed, but there are clumps of these things were I could harvest  50 lbs of them in a single trip.

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

And here we have 2 regrettable themes that continue to manifest in this context: 

- "I know I'm right about XYZ political issue and so I'm just going to say what I think, regardless of whether this is the right time or place."

- "Everything is politics so I get to push my political agenda in every conversation about every topic."

Both of these themes are just self-absorbed BS.

I think you're overreacting.

1 hour ago, Sakman said:

That’s a hell of an article.  Sobering.

Just convinced me that Friday night whiskey night is at home for awhile.

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

That’s a hell of an article.  Sobering.

Just convinced me that Friday night whiskey night is at home for awhile.

For how long and when will you know it's ok to resume normal* life?

The end result I took from the article is it has to be an all or nothing response.  Everyone stays in for 2 weeks or else we might as well all continue our lives as normal.

I do grabble with the same question as you. Do I limit activities outside my home to those only necessary for survival (work/food/medications)? No social functions, eating or drinking out. 

But for how long and would it made a difference if I start today and some portion of people around me didn't? Would my chances of being affected get reduced?

Edited by woods-racer

1 minute ago, woods-racer said:

For how long and when will you know it's ok to resume normal* life?

The end result I took from the article is it has to be an all or nothing response.  Everyone stays in for 2 weeks or else we might as well all continue our lives as normal.

I do grabble with the same question as you. Do I limit activities outside my home to those only necessary for survival (work/food/medications)? No social functions, eating or drinking out. 

But for how long and would it made a difference if I start today and some portion of people around me didn't? Would my chances of being affected get reduced?

All I can do is my part.  If someone else wants to do something that may help propagate the virus, that’s on them.  I’ve said several times on this subject that sometimes we need to be responsible to more than ourselves.  Staying home isn’t a great sacrifice.

Fortunately for me, fishing isn’t a social activity.  I can do that this weekend abd be isolated the whole time.

• Like (+1) 2