OT: March Madness

WildCard

350 million people, if 70% get it thats 250 M. If 85% of the cases are mild that still leaves 35 M. If the death rate is 1% that is 350, 000 Dead. Lots of bodies, especially when you consider the normal flu kills 20-50,000. Even if only 30% get it still over 100,000. If the death rate is 3.4% like WHO says that's over a million. I hope everything tends to be hyperbole by the media. I'm no so sure that this isn't pretty damn serious.

1 minute ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

350 million people, if 70% get it thats 250 M. If 85% of the cases are mild that still leaves 35 M. If the death rate is 1% that is 350, 000 Dead. Lots of bodies, especially when you consider the normal flu kills 20-50,000. Even if only 30% get it still over 100,000. If the death rate is 3.4% like WHO says that's over a million. I hope everything tends to be hyperbole by the media. I'm no so sure that this isn't pretty damn serious.

If it is hyperbole, it is coming from medical scientists, not the media.  The media is quoting what the medical scientific community is telling them.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, #freejame said:

This is sheer lunacy to me. 

17 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yea I tend to agree. 

Read this.  Written by an Italian doctor.  https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797 

Put aside statistics. Here is how it looks in practice. Most of my childhood friends are now doctors working in north Italy. In Milan, in Bergamo, in Padua, they are having to choose between intubating a 40-year-old with two kids, a 40-year old who is fit and healthy with no co-morbidities, and a 60-year-old with high blood pressure, because they don't have enough beds. In the hallway, meanwhile, there are another 15 people waiting who are already hardly breathing and need oxygen.

But why the urgency, if most people survive?

Here's why: Fatality is the wrong yardstick. Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu. No travel for leisure or business is worth this risk.

The biggest problem I see with America today is that we stopped trusting our scientific community and decided that we know better.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

Read this.  Written by an Italian doctor.  https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797 

The biggest problem I see with America today is that we stopped trusting our scientific community and decided that we know better.

They kinda lost me when they used the phrase “ordinary flu.” Anyone who has ever had the flu (I have twice) knows there is nothing ordinary about it.

I’ll just say this, since October 1st, 2019, there have been as many as 50000 deaths in this country (alone!) from the “ordinary flu.” And still people don’t get there shots.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

This.

Listen to the professionals. Shut unnecessary things down. Watch the game on TV. Those that can, work from home.

Reduce the risk. Don’t let your desire to be inconvenienced, or your arrogance cost someone else their loved one. 

They aren’t asking for any major sacrifices here. Listen, and maybe they won’t have to.

Just now, SwampD said:

They kinda lost me when they used the phrase “ordinary flu.” Anyone who has ever had the flu (I have twice) knows there is nothing ordinary about it.

I’ll just say this, since October 1st, 2019, there have been as many as 50000 deaths in this country (alone!) from the “ordinary flu.” And still people don’t get there shots.

None of this is reason to not take precautions against COVID-19.

It’s not that I don’t trust the medical community; I’m sure it’s very bad. But I’m concerned that the economic impact of this approach is going to negatively impact more people in equally as bad ways. The people suffering the most economically during quarantines and closures are low income workers and those in positions who don’t have the option to work from home if the building is down. 

There’s more to it than that but this isn’t the thread, nor does that thread exist. I will say this: I had swine flu in ‘09. That was immediately followed by bronchitis and then pneumonia, which I caught again 11 months later and lost 15 pounds in a little over a week. I understand how these things go beyond just the flu itself and how detrimental they can be to the person who gets it. I just think that right now, we’re going to cause a lot more suffering than the situation presently dictates. 

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

People value inconveniences more than they value risk.  We are a stupidly optimistic people that equates bad things to other people's personal choices.  And as a result more people are put at risk.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

It’s not that I don’t trust the medical community; I’m sure it’s very bad. But I’m concerned that the economic impact of this approach is going to negatively impact more people in equally as bad ways. The people suffering the most economically during quarantines and closures are low income workers and those in positions who don’t have the option to work from home if the building is down. 

There’s more to it than that but this isn’t the thread, nor does that thread exist. I will say this: I had swine flu in ‘09. That was immediately followed by bronchitis and then pneumonia, which I caught again 11 months later and lost 15 pounds in a little over a week. I understand how these things go beyond just the flu itself and how detrimental they can be to the person who gets it. I just think that right now, we’re going to cause a lot more suffering than the situation presently dictates. 

My primary response is, health is hella more important than any economic impact.  We can recover from an economic impact.  If you die or deal with a permanent aftermath of the disease you aren't getting that back.

And equally important, just like childhood vaccinations, the ones that ignore the medical and scientific advise put alot more than just themselves at risk.  You are putting the entire community you interact with at risk.  Don't be so ***** selfish, I guess.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Well, unless it’s closed down or flights are canceled ... I’m going to Disney World in May with the family. 
I guess I’ll be part of the problem by not staying in the four walls of my house. And have the media on my tv 24/7 telling me I’m an evil person for not subjecting me or my family to self quarantine. Throw the low brow insults all ya want. 

Just now, Zamboni said:

Well, unless it’s closed down or flights are canceled ... I’m going to Disney World in May with the family. 
I guess I’ll be part of the problem by not staying in the four walls of my house. And have the media on my tv 24/7 telling me I’m an evil person for not subjecting me or my family to self quarantine. Throw the low brow insults all ya want. 

Hopefully Disney is more serious about this than you are.

I;ve got tickets, a flight, hotel, and a rental car booked for my son and I to go to a bucket list concert this Summer.  We've got tix up front on the floor.  If this thing doesn't subside when the warm weather hits we're likely to eat it.  I hate it.  it'll be expensive, and a missed opportunity that I likely won't get back.  But sometimes you have to be responsible for more than yourself.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Weave said:

You can thank your media and politics for that 

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I don't think we need to look any further than a mirror for blame.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Weave said:

It isn't just that, unfortunately.

One of the American economy's greatest strengths is people taking risks to make their dream company go.  That means that risking extended exposure is part of doing business because the purchases that can make or break your company don't care about flu, coronavirus, or kids with chicken pox.

I know of one run by a friend of mine which has this exact problem.  They made a decision to ignore the experts and keep going to work to produce their product.  This will keep them from going broke and get the cash to pay for health insurance and the next few payrolls.

The time to take action, for example by increasing social distances, is now.    Delaying by even a single day can have catastrophic consequences.

That said, I'll be shocked if the major sport leagues, including golf, tennis, etc... don't end up putting their seasons on hold for the next 4-6 weeks.    

People talk about the economic impact of cancelling or postponing events.... while the financial losses could be significant, it would pale in comparison to the economic impact a COVID-19 epidemic would have on this country.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

China can rot in Hell for all I care....fckn idiots

This is really uncalled for.  The people of China aren't the reason a virus mutated.  And if the government wasn't forthcoming with the truth.... again, it's not on the people.

The first recorded case of the 1918 flu that killed 50 million people was in  Kansas military barracks. They sent those soldiers to Europe even as the death rates for the soldiers due to illness skyrocketed.  fckn idiots?

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

This is really uncalled for.  The people of China aren't the reason a virus mutated.  And if the government wasn't forthcoming with the truth.... again, it's not on the people.

The first recorded case of the 1918 flu that killed 50 million people was in  Kansas military barracks. They sent those soldiers to Europe even as the death rates for the soldiers due to illness skyrocketed.  fckn idiots?

I edited to say Chinese government can rot in Hell as that was what my intention was to begin with....and i hope they really do rot in hell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.