How Good Is Linus Ullmark?

bob_sauve28

37 minutes ago, jsb said:

I disagree with you I've watched more Vancouver games than I care to admit, Markstrom is the #1 reason they're still in a playoff run. 

Halak with Boston is an UFA after this year, sign him to a 2 year deal and dump Hutton.

Wasn't Halak a Sabre for a few days during the selloff a few years ago? IIRC it left a bad taste in his mouth.

• Like (+1) 1

He's improving, but he hasn't arrived yet.    You can't assume he's the #1 guy going into next season, even if he finishes strong.

It's imperative that you bring a guy to legit compete with him for the #1 job heading into next season.... and I'm not talking about guy who's been a career backup.   

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Wasn't Halak a Sabre for a few days during the selloff a few years ago? IIRC it left a bad taste in his mouth.

I think he dressed for one game then was traded again, wasn't he a part of the Miller trade?? I don't recall if it left a bad taste with him but he was probably grateful they traded him from that crap show of a team.

Adding a goalie better than Linus to compete with Linus is the Sabres clearest path to the playoffs next year, short of the very unlikely possibility of adding an O’Reilly-level centre at a similar price to what we sold him for.

A Risto for Henrique type deal is just downgrading the top 4 to improve the top 6.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, jsb said:

I think he dressed for one game then was traded again, wasn't he a part of the Miller trade?? I don't recall if it left a bad taste with him but he was probably grateful they traded him from that crap show of a team.

Yep, found it; Miller for Halak and Stewart, then Halak and a pick for Neuvirth and Kesla.

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

When UFA hits, though, Halak's moment with us will have been 2 GMs ago and 4 coaches ago, so I dont think it'll play a role

?

True, didn't realize that was that long ago. The Sabres miserable seasons blend together.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adding a goalie better than Linus to compete with Linus is the Sabres clearest path to the playoffs next year, short of the very unlikely possibility of adding an O’Reilly-level centre at a similar price to what we sold him for.

A Risto for Henrique type deal is just downgrading the top 4 to improve the top 6.

Yep. In order, It would be very good 2C first. THEN second, a competing goalie as good or better than Ullmark. Just that alone would have gotten us squeaking into the playoffs for sure IMO.

I like Linus and agree that he is in the 19-24 range of starters, but has been improving.  I like the ideas of another clear 1B or former starter to push him and replace Hutton.  Indeed, I bet Hutton would be better in short NHL stints if he were successful in the AHL next season.

If we get the Markstrom-like growth, let's just celebrate our good luck.

4 hours ago, jsb said:

Wasn't the one game he dressed in whichever arena doesn't have room for the back-up goalie on the bench so they're forced to sit all alone in the zamboni entrace? 

4 hours ago, jsb said:

Don't know, a slovak goalie his age probably grew up adoring Hasek.    He might want to play for the sabres if offered.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.