2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Who, or what, is JBot going to bring in?

They have to re-sign or replace Simmonds, Frolik, Girgensons, Vesey and Larsson up front. The depth chart up right now roughly like this, with Kahun and Johansson having some history at centre. You’ve got $10-$15 million to work with.

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

Olofsson ??? Kahun

Johansson ??? ???

??? Lazar Okposo

???

Actually they don’t.  Larsson maybe the only one to return. Yes he could take a deal elsewhere and while they’ll at would be disappointing it’s not exactly the end of the world and would add about 2 mill to our cap space.  Simmons might return but at a vet minimum contract.  

Cozens and Tage step in on the 3rd line.  Simmonds and Asplund fight it out for the 4 lw or Lazar if Larsson returns.  

Tyler Johnson is going to look for the best opportunity.  Like JT Miller last year, he has seen his PT and special teams opportunities dry up in TB because of Pointe and Cirelli.  We are one of the few teams that can not only afford his contract but also give him a top 6 oppprtunity.  Odds he waives to come here increase especially if he gets his ring this season.

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, based on JB's recent comments, it sounds like Simmonds will be back.  I don't think more than 1 of the other 4 you named will be back.

I think Cozens is close to a lock to be in Buffalo and Mitts is close to a lock to be in Rochester.

I think if Tage can go to Rochester without clearing waivers -- which is still a critical open issue on Sabrespace -- he will at a minimum start the season in Rochester.  Otherwise, he'll be in Buffalo.

And I'd guess that JB brings in another MoJo-level vet forward and tries to plug him in at 2C.  I'd like to think that JB will make a strong move and trade a good defenseman for a good 2C, but I'm skeptical.

Side note, in an Instigators gig, Sexton talked up Casey’s attitude and progress in Roch as being excellent. He said he can go to Rochester without clearing waivers if he has to, but delivered that with a reluctant tone that led me to believe that’s not the plan. 

To your post, I think you’re on the right track with where the organization is looking.

If Wayne, Tage and Dylan fill three of the spots, you’ve still got about 8-10 million bucks for the other two spots. That’s enough room for two Mojo-level adds, or a Larsson and a legit 2C

Is that enough space to make a difference? (I say yes) Is Botterill capable of using it (i’m not confident)

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually they don’t.  Larsson maybe the only one to return. Yes he could take a deal elsewhere and while they’ll at would be disappointing it’s not exactly the end of the world and would add about 2 mill to our cap space.  Simmons might return but at a vet minimum contract.  

Cozens and Tage step in on the 3rd line.  Simmonds and Asplund fight it out for the 4 lw or Lazar if Larsson returns.  

Tyler Johnson is going to look for the best opportunity.  Like JT Miller last year, he has seen his PT and special teams opportunities dry up in TB because of Pointe and Cirelli.  We are one of the few teams that can not only afford his contract but also give him a top 6 oppprtunity.  Odds he waives to come here increase especially if he gets his ring this season.

Don’t what? Have the cap space?

The have $34 million, and they’ll likely spend ~ $20ish on Montour, Ullmark, Reinhart, Olofsson and Kahun. What did I miss?

I think Johnson Is worth exploring. Who knows where his head is at? Tampa fans think Killorn is the one who will be moved.

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They don’t have to go out and replace most of those guys in the trade or free agent markets.  As I’ve been saying for months, but of the UFAs will be replaced by internal candidates.

Oh I agree, certainly didn’t mean to imply otherwise. At least two of the spots will be filled internally by youngsters.

If Casey and Tage were developed properly, we would be cautiously expecting them to arrive full-time this fall, after getting a taste this spring. That’s pretty typical for guys of their pedigree, like Tanner Glass, Morgan Frost, Jordan Kyrou and Henrik Borgstrom

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, based on JB's recent comments, it sounds like Simmonds will be back.  I don't think more than 1 of the other 4 you named will be back.

I think Cozens is close to a lock to be in Buffalo and Mitts is close to a lock to be in Rochester.

I think if Tage can go to Rochester without clearing waivers -- which is still a critical open issue on Sabrespace -- he will at a minimum start the season in Rochester.  Otherwise, he'll be in Buffalo.

And I'd guess that JB brings in another MoJo-level vet forward and tries to plug him in at 2C.  I'd like to think that JB will make a strong move and trade a good defenseman for a good 2C, but I'm skeptical.

Looking forward to how Interim Sabres GM Randy Sexton handles the 2020-21 Trade Deadline 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, darksabre said:

Guess maybe we don't have to worry about Simmonds being re-signed now

That was one of my initial takes.  It's not a certainty that he'll be back.  Thankfully.

However, if they could get a time machine working that brings even the version from 3 years ago in, well ...

Now that we have a new GM, I don't actually think the gameplan should change.  That said, Adams will try to put his stamp on the team.  So which of Jbot's players gets sent packing?  Miller? Montour? Thompson? Mittelstadt? Skinner? Or will he finally move on from long-term holders like Larsson, McCabe and Ristolainen?  

What will a Kevyn Adams team look like?  He was a 4th line energy player for most of his career.  Does this mean he'll try to build a hard working team but as @Weave noted above with energy guys regardless of talent?  He has been a development coach.  Does that mean more or less patience with prospects?  Will he be a better judge of when they are ready for NHL duty?  

Honestly, I think this is a terrible hire.  Awful.  I think he has no clue on how to even begin to build an AHL team, much less a NHL team regardless of his decade in the organization.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Adams is no more or less qualified than Steve Yzerman was or Mike Gillis was or John Chayka was when hired.

He starts at zero like every other GM. I’ll judge every move as it happens and make a decision based on his body of work as he builds it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Adams is no more or less qualified than Steve Yzerman was or Mike Gillis was or John Chayka was when hired.

He starts at zero like every other GM. I’ll judge every move as it happens and make a decision based on his body of work.

Though, grabbing the 3rd consecutive 1st time GM that this ownership has hired, and this one having no NHL FO experience is troubling.  

Truthfully this move is only slightly more puzzling than when Adams became the head of the business side of hockey operations.  That seemed to be a reach as well, but he did something they liked in that role.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Honestly, I think this is a terrible hire.  Awful.  I think he has no clue on how to even begin to build an AHL team, much less a NHL team regardless of his decade in the organization.

The poor guy has arguably one of the most challenging offseasons ahead of him because of the number of RFAs. In addition to everything else, he's also got to assemble all the RFAs and sign, let go to arbitration, or trade....  But he does have the opportunity to put his stamp on the roster immediately, no doubt.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

He starts at zero like every other GM. I’ll judge every move as it happens and make a decision based on his body of work as he builds it.

Stevie Y had experience building rosters for Hockey Canada from 2007-2010.  Chayka had time as Maloney's Asst and is a successful business man outside hockey despite his youth and Gillis spent 18 years as a player's agent so he has ample experience negotiating player contracts and evaluating player's market value.  

Beside's Adams' failed 5 minutes as a player agent, he has nothing on his resume to show me he is ready for this job.  The Sabres would be wise to hire a Rick Dudley or someone like him as a sounding board for Adams to give him a fighting chance at the job.

On a positive note, I'm going to lay out an off-season game plan for Kevyn Adams.

1) Sign Larsson to a 2-3 year deal 

2) Sign Reinhart to another 2 year bridge deal.  

3) Buyout Okposo if we get a compliance buyout for next season

4) Put Miller, Montour, Risto, and McCabe on the block and see where you get the best offers and move on from at least one of them.

5) Put Mitts on the block especially if we are drafting in the top 7 in this draft.  Mind you I like Casey and still think he has a bright future, but I think Cozens and if we get some like Rossi or Perfetti in the draft, he'll be the 3rd best center prospect in the organization. 

6) Re-sign key RFAs, Kahun, VO and Ullmark. Kahun for 2-3 years, Vo for 4-5 and Ullmark 3-4.

7) Re-sign Montour if he isn't traded.

8.) Dump Hutton if you can.  If so, get someone like Cam Talbot to backup Ullmark

9) Hire Rick Dudley or similar to help you get through your first couple of seasons in the job.

10) Find a bridge 2C - Henrique, Tyler Johnson, Strome, etc....  Getting a CIrelli is a pipe dream.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.