2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

Can someone explain to me why I see so many line-ups listed with Skinner and Staal on the same line? From my memory of them on the same team and what Hurricane's fans have to say, I seem to remember they never worked well together on a line in Carolina.  Not to mention Hall and Eichel are similar players. I don't think you would even want them on the same line in the first place. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steddy13 said:

Can someone explain to me why I see so many line-ups listed with Skinner and Staal on the same line? From my memory of them on the same team and what Hurricane's fans have to say, I seem to remember they never worked well together on a line in Carolina.  Not to mention Hall and Eichel are similar players. I don't think you would even want them on the same line in the first place. 

Probably has something to do with both Adams and Krueger both saying they can't wait to seeing Eichel & Hall playing together.  That, and Hall's description of the ideal C describing Eichel to a T.

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Isn’t $3M basically what was expected?  Or at least $2.5-3M?

2.25 to 2.5 I think? .5 mil is a lot when we are talking 2-3 mil. We are tight against the cap right now - if Sam's, Linus's, and VO's arbs all come in .5m higher than expected, could be dicey. 

I think we have ~13/13.5 in space, 

VO - 4.0

Sam - 7.0

Ullmark - 3.0

..would put us over

- - - 

Could gain some wiggle room I suppose in whatever D out, goalie/D-man in maneuver they attempt, but those numbers are up in the air right now. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

2.25 to 2.5 I think? .5 mil is a lot when we are talking 2-3 mil. We are tight against the cap right now - if Sam's, Linus's, and VO's arb's all come in .5m higher than expected, could be dicey. 

I think we have ~13/13.5 in space, 

VO - 4.0

Sam - 7.0

Ullmark - 3.0

..would put us over

Trade a RD.  It should happen.

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

Trade a RD.  It should happen.

Yep. If we don't move a RHD I think the roster looks pretty much as is heading into camp. 

Moving Risto for futures nets us 5.4 to play with, Miller, 3.875, Montour, 3.85. I think they'll need to pick one - that's the avenue for improvement I think we all see. Perhaps the player is moved in a deal straight up. 

Risto is here till his deal expires I'd guess, and beyond if he'd be willing to stay, and Montour is viewed as better (?) than Miller and is actually slightly less costly now, and with one less year of commitment - so I think maybe he'll be easiest moved/the one to be moved for this reason. 

On the other hand, maybe they like the idea of moving Miller, and playing Montour on whatever side he needs to be depending on which of say Samuelsson (LHD) or Borgen (RHD) (I'd say he's ready) earns a bottom pair spot (or Irwin) - and Montour apparently provides that flexibility.

I also am not ruling out the possibility they just play Montour on the left, keep everyone we have, and call it a day. Not a fan of that idea- we need a goalie upgrade, could def use a swap for LHD failing that, and even beyond that, we should be giving a guy like Borgen some runway here. 

Edited by Thorny

From Eric Duhatschek in the Athletic:  https://theathletic.com/2143240/2020/10/16/duhatschek-vegas-hits-alex-pietrangelo-jackpot-oel-sweepstakes-and-more/

Buffalo is better. The Sabres top my list of most improved because they added three top-nine pieces up front (Hall, Eric Staal and Cody Eakin) and only subtracted one player (Marcus Johansson). Hall needs to find chemistry with Jack Eichel and Jeff Skinner needs a significant bounce-back season (hopefully, playing with Staal will do that. They overlapped for six years in Carolina). Staal is a wonderful leader and an excellent role model who can add a level of professionalism to the mix in Buffalo. And Eakin can be a useful two-way presence as a third-line centre. There’s nothing wrong with Buffalo’s six-man defense corps and if the goaltending, led by Linus Ullmark, holds up, the Sabres could actually see genuine improvement.

• Thanks (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Shootica said:

I'd put my money on Miller as long as there's a willing trade partner.  He clearly wasn't Krueger's favorite player, and they just re-signed Montour.

I’m not sure that Montour signing means he is “safe”.  It’s a one year deal that walks him to UFA ASAP.

24 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m not sure that Montour signing means he is “safe”.  It’s a one year deal that walks him to UFA ASAP.

I agree, I wouldn't consider him safe.  But you don't see too many guys get moved immediately after signing an extension, even if it is only one year.

A guy on  Capfriendly purposed an interesting multi-team trade that ended up with 

To BUF

Hickey ($1,000,000 retained) 2x1.5mil

Komarov ($1,500,000 retained) 2x1.5mil

Helm ($1,850,000 retained) 1x2mil

To DET

Okposo

Pilut

I like Okposo, the person, but I'd say yes to this seeing as it frees up cap space

Edited by thewookie1

17 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

A guy on  Capfriendly purposed an interesting multifaceted trade that ended up with 

To BUF

Hickey ($1,000,000 retained) 2x1.5mil

Komarov ($1,500,000 retained) 2x1.5mil

Helm ($1,850,000 retained) 1x2mil

To DET

Okposo

Pilut

I like Okposo, the person, but I'd say yes to this seeing as it frees up cap space

Huh? 2 guys play on NYI, one on Det

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Huh? 2 guys play on NYI, one on Det

34 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Great, you just ruined Detroits plan of trading players they don't have the rights too.

Or they think so low of Okposo (or Pilut) that they wouldn't even give up any of their own players to get them......

Ok, the trade was after some another trade Detroit made acquiring Komorov and Hickey. Also multifaceted was supposed to be multi-team

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 1

What would we have to give up to get Dunn from St Louis?   Mitts, Pilut,  and 2nd rd pick

If I were Terry I would tell KA to offer sheet Dunn at 4 years at $4.25 million.   Dunn probably wouldn't care if he moved since they just signed Krug.

It would be kinda pay back for the crap we got in the ROR trade!!!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.