2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, Gabrielor said:

-2C/T6W Combo

-One of the 24 teams who didn't fail at life

-A friendly hint Reinhart may be involved

That's what we've gotten.

Wouldn't really make sense to break much more until Adams actually has a confirmed deal done.

I thought I saw a recent post where he mentioned Granlund as one of the players.

I very well could be wrong though.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2020/08/rumor-minnesota-wild-trying-hard-to.html

"Look for the Wild to make a few deals this off season, and if they have their way, Zuccarello will be included. Teams like Calgary, Nashville and Buffalo are expected to be interested. It will all be up to Mats. "

Not sure how Buffalo is associated with Zucc's.   If he is the top 6 forward associated with the 2C (Staal) then the cost is not much, because they will have to give something to take on this contact.    It's Mitts and who?    Just what we need, another LW. 

There's been some discussion in the playoffs thread about Monahan.  Imm'a respond here because I think this is the logical thread for that conversation now that Calgary's been eliminated.

I was not impressed with what I saw from Monahan during this playoff run.  It was way too easy for the opposing D to get the puck out of the zone and going the other way when Monahan's line was on the ice.  He's skilled, and created a number of scoring chances when he had the puck, but he sure didn't go out and get it.  @dudacek's observation that Monahan is closer to Derek Roy than to ROR is spot on, and deeply troubling.

Gaudreau, OTOH, was much more effective.  I freaking love the idea of him on Eichel's wing, or him as the 2LW if the Sabres pick up a 2C elsewhere.  And while trading for another LW seems nuts, I would trade Risto for him in a heartbeat.

I guess where I'm at is that I'd be much less excited to give up Reino, #8 and Risto/Montour for Monahan and Gaudreau than I was before watching that playoff series.  I could probably talk myself into it, and the point made in the other thread (maybe by @Thorny) that Monahan might thrive as a 2C instead of a 1C is a good one, but I would be apprehensive about giving up too much in total and expecting too much from Monahan.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Granlund hasn't been a true center since 2016. That's the last time he took more than 300 faceoffs. His numbers remind me of Johansson who we also tried to force into a center role. 

Signing Granlund with the idea of center would be another Leino move. I’d be pretty depressed about it.

13 hours ago, nfreeman said:

There's been some discussion in the playoffs thread about Monahan.  Imm'a respond here because I think this is the logical thread for that conversation now that Calgary's been eliminated.

I was not impressed with what I saw from Monahan during this playoff run.  It was way too easy for the opposing D to get the puck out of the zone and going the other way when Monahan's line was on the ice.  He's skilled, and created a number of scoring chances when he had the puck, but he sure didn't go out and get it.  @dudacek's observation that Monahan is closer to Derek Roy than to ROR is spot on, and deeply troubling.

Gaudreau, OTOH, was much more effective.  I freaking love the idea of him on Eichel's wing, or him as the 2LW if the Sabres pick up a 2C elsewhere.  And while trading for another LW seems nuts, I would trade Risto for him in a heartbeat.

I guess where I'm at is that I'd be much less excited to give up Reino, #8 and Risto/Montour for Monahan and Gaudreau than I was before watching that playoff series.  I could probably talk myself into it, and the point made in the other thread (maybe by @Thorny) that Monahan might thrive as a 2C instead of a 1C is a good one, but I would be apprehensive about giving up too much in total and expecting too much from Monahan.

Clearly Monahan is not as good as ROR. He is a 2C not a 1C. OTOH he’s the best option out there short of Cirelli. If we can get Monahan for #8 Montour and Mittlestadt I’d do it in a heartbeat. 

1 hour ago, Gabrielor said:

Yeah, the idea of getting Monahan is significantly more exciting to me....because Eichel.

Monahan addresses two specific things the Sabres need, in addition to the obvious 2C:

He’s consistently been a plus on faceoffs (52.6 last year)

He’s money from the slot on the PP (averages 9 goals a year over the past 6)

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Monahan addresses two specific things the Sabres need, in addition to the obvious 2C:

He’s consistently been a plus on faceoffs (52.6 last year)

He’s money from the slot on the PP (averages 9 goals a year over the past 6)

Hope it happens. Hope the 'tentative agreement' was this.

we will not get Monahan...they'll want to much. But, as you may have noticed thus far, goaltending wins games and the fact is our goaltending was nowhere near good enough. Yes one needs to see straight to play goal, but even if Hutton gets this problem corrected is he good enough? I think we really need to address goaltending ASAP. We wil not get a 2nd line center handed to us as we got ROR and the asking price now for such a player is going to be significant as we are not the only team lookinng for a 2nd line center

19 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

we will not get Monahan...they'll want to much. But, as you may have noticed thus far, goaltending wins games and the fact is our goaltending was nowhere near good enough. Yes one needs to see straight to play goal, but even if Hutton gets this problem corrected is he good enough? I think we really need to address goaltending ASAP. We wil not get a 2nd line center handed to us as we got ROR and the asking price now for such a player is going to be significant as we are not the only team lookinng for a 2nd line center

It depends on the kind of retooling they want to do.  With the perceived failures of their current core, they might want to swap out big pieces for different big pieces.

42 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

ROR was not handed to us GMTM gave up substantial resources to acquire him. We will have to give up significant assets but I think Calgary is planning on overhauling their roster. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, freester said:

Would you trade Carter Hutton for Jake Allen?  St Louis would save about 1.5 million on the cap and we get a goalie upgrade. 

In a second.

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

I honestly feel he's not worth the eighth pick.

The eighth pick isn't worth the eighth pick with some of the dreams people have here.  It is possible, but unlikely, that the pick turns out to be as good as Monahan.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Eleven said:

In a second.

The eighth pick isn't worth the eighth pick with some of the dreams people have here.  It is possible, but unlikely, that the pick turns out to be as good as Monahan.

You may be right but that's high price for a player many seem to want to get rid of. He could work out for us but I'm not convinced it takes our 8th plus for him..

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

In a second.

The eight pick will unlikely end up as good as Monahan, but one thing is guaranteed. It will produce a decent asset that will have zero affect on a team’s salary cap. I don’t think that’s something to be underestimated in these coming years. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.