2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, Gabrielor said:

It’s all about improving that PK. If they think Reider can do that, than either Okposo or Tage are sitting.

Based on what I’ve seen and heard from Ralph so far, I think his pecking order of least likely to most likely to sit - at least going in to training camp - will be:

Not Going To Happen

Eichel

Hall

Reinhart

Risto

Only With Great Pain

Staal

Dahlin

Skinner

Unlikely But Possible

Eakin

Montour

McCabe

Okposo

Olofsson

Girgensons

Jokiharju

On The Bubble

Miller

Cozens

Thompson

Rieder

Lazar

On The Outside Looking In

Irwin

Mittelstadt

Asplund

Ruotsalainen

Davidson

Edited by dudacek

Three more moves to make.

1) Somehow upgrade Hutton.  I'm thinking that this is unlikely at this point, but maybe easier as we get more clarity as to when the season is actually going to begin.  I can see KA waiting to see how Hutton looks in the extended camp.

2) One more talented forward.  My favorites for the job are Kahun and more importantly Galchenyuk.  The guy is only 26 and is over a .5pt per game player for his career.  He needs a fresh start and we need more talent especially if none of the 3rd line candidates, like Mitts, Thompson, Cozens or Routsalainen are ready.    We could also use some Taylor Hall not re-signing insurance.  

Hall Eichel VO

Skinner Staal Reinhart

Galchenyuk Eakin Thompson

Girgensons Lazar KO

3) Move a RHD to get cap room for later season moves if the team needs them, especially a trade in goal.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Three more moves to make.

1) Somehow upgrade Hutton.  I'm thinking that this is unlikely at this point, but maybe easier as we get more clarity as to when the season is actually going to begin.  I can see KA waiting to see how Hutton looks in the extended camp.

2) One more talented forward.  My favorites for the job are Kahun and more importantly Galchenyuk.  The guy is only 26 and is over a .5pt per game player for his career.  He needs a fresh start and we need more talent especially if none of the 3rd line candidates, like Mitts, Thompson, Cozens or Routsalainen are ready.    We could also use some Taylor Hall not re-signing insurance.  

Hall Eichel VO

Skinner Staal Reinhart

Galchenyuk Eakin Thompson

Girgensons Lazar KO

I would make #2....swap out a RHD for a LHD via trade(s).  To me that would be much more important than adding another forward.  Take away Bogo who never played anyways, and you basically have the same d corp as last year...which IMO was not a playoff caliber group.

• Like (+1) 2

I would not sign another forward until Thompson/Cozens/Mittelstadt/Asplund/Ruotsalanien prove themselves unworthy.

We don't have the space, we have other areas (LD, goal) in greater need of upgrades, and the kids need an opportunity. We have five guys battling for one or two spots.

A forward upgrade comes at the trade deadline if necessary, in the form of a rental.

I think the the starting 6D is a playoff-calibre group. It was weighed down by forwards unable to maintain possession or take advantage of their excellent passing. And it was not well-supported by the goaltending.

I would like to see a Montour or Miller flipped for a Scandella type in a hockey trade to upgrade the PK and balance the hands.

Acquiring a goalie to push aside Hutton and at least challenge Ullmark is far and way my biggest priority.

We can make the playoffs without any moves, but 30 games of what Hutton gave us last year makes it very precarious and it's a gamble I'd rather not take.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I would not sign another forward until Thompson/Cozens/Mittelstadt/Asplund/Ruotsalanien prove themselves unworthy.

We don't have the space, we have other areas (LD, goal) in greater need of upgrades, and the kids need an opportunity. We have five guys battling for one or two spots.

A forward upgrade comes at the trade deadline if necessary, in the form of a rental.

I think the the starting 6D is a playoff-calibre group. It was weighed down by forwards unable to maintain possession or take advantage of their excellent passing. And it was not well-supported by the goaltending.

I would like to see a Montour or Miller flipped for a Scandella type in a hockey trade to upgrade the PK and balance the hands.

Acquiring a goalie to push aside Hutton and at least challenge Ullmark is far and way my biggest priority.

We can make the playoffs without any moves, but 30 games of what Hutton gave us last year makes it very precarious and it's a gamble I'd rather not take.

Is there cap space to make the second happen if the first bolded does, too?

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Is there cap space to make the second happen if the first bolded does, too?

It’s tight, but possible.

Sign Victor for 3.5 and bury Hutton we have a little over $4 in space (it’s a little more complicated than that, but close enough.)

Can use a bit of retention to tweak the contracts if necessary to balance things out.

I still like my all-in-one Arizona idea:

Risto Mitts and a first for Chychrun and a goalie.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

So far I have come up with Risto to Chicago for Murphy and Carpenter. (Murphy is a more defensive Dman which we could use with Dahlin)

Then Miller to NJD for Butcher (was proposed on the hfboards by a Devils fan. 

From there, with Hutton in Rochester we would have 3.793 mil in cap space to acquire a goalie. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I want Risto to be on the Sabres when they break the drought this season.  I want this franchise to give him that experience, and I want his nasty in the playoffs.

This is how I feel about Girgensons.

Risto just doesn’t give me the same feeling.  Maybe because it seems like 3 years in a row there have been reports or half hearted trade requests.  And also I don’t think he is a smart player.  I just don’t feel connected to him.

Edited by Curt

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

So far I have come up with Risto to Chicago for Murphy and Carpenter. (Murphy is a more defensive Dman which we could use with Dahlin)

Then Miller to NJD for Butcher (was proposed on the hfboards by a Devils fan. 

From there, with Hutton in Rochester we would have 3.793 mil in cap space to acquire a goalie. 

I want to play. 

Hutton, Risto, Mitts, and Okposo to Chicago for Kane and Subban. 

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

Whether or not I can enjoy Risto on this team depends entirely on whether they finally play him second pair minutes, or if they continue to force feed him the minutes of a first pair D. 

Rasmus Dahlin should take over Risto's mintues. He has the size and the skill to do everything Risto does but better. 

• Like (+1) 4

On 10/26/2020 at 11:24 PM, Thorny said:

Whether or not I can enjoy Risto on this team depends entirely on whether they finally play him second pair minutes, or if they continue to force feed him the minutes of a first pair D. 

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Rasmus Dahlin should take over Risto's mintues. He has the size and the skill to do everything Risto does but better. 

Third Pairing for Risto and QBing the 2nd PP Unit please 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/26/2020 at 9:43 PM, nfreeman said:

I want Risto to be on the Sabres when they break the drought this season.  I want this franchise to give him that experience, and I want his nasty in the playoffs.

I do too. Just so when he's the same mistake prone flawed hockey player as always it will disprove this insane theory that Risto has to be kept because in the playoffs he'll magically be better. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I do too. Just so when he's the same mistake prone flawed hockey player as always it will disprove this insane theory that Risto has to be kept because in the playoffs he'll magically be better. 

I agree that he's flawed, and I hope this is the year that he ceases to lead the D in ice time.  My point was more of a sentimental one -- the guy has persevered, worked hard, stood up for his teammates and done what his coaches have asked of him for pretty much the entirety of the worst period in team history.  If they are finally on the upswing, I'd like him to reap some of the rewards.

• Like (+1) 4

Offseason plan goal: get a 2C and a top-six F to flesh out the top six. Achieved! (Let's not talk about balancing D handedness or goalies yet.) Instead, let's just admire that we have a complete top six for the first time in a decade. I went back to look at all of the previous top two lines on (more-or-less) opening night each year. I also noted where we had a rookie (strictly <82 GP and Calder-eligible). Two things of note: 1) we've had really poor top sixes since we last made the playoffs, and 2) we are always adding rookies, so Cozens, get ready to skate!

But Hall-Eichel-Reinhart / Skinner-Staal-Olofsson or any combination thereof looks might nice compared to the following:

2010-11 (10/8/10) Ruff
Our last playoff roster.

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Ennis [R] - Connolly - Pominville

2011-12 (10/7/11) Helsinki/Berlin - Ruff
Adam had played 19 NHL games the season before, and had a hot start between Vanek and Pominville

Vanek – Adam [R] - Pominville
Gerbe - Roy - Stafford

2012-13 (1/20/13) - Ruff
48 game season. Note that Leino was out and likely takes Foligno's spot if healthy.

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Foligno [R] - Ennis - Stafford

2013-14 10/2/2013 - Rolston

Vanek - Hodgson - Stafford
Ott - Ennis - Leino

2014-15 (10/9/2014) - Nolan
Foligno/Hodgson eventually made up the 2nd line once Reino went down, including Foligno at center as Hodgson's health was further compromised

Moulson - Ennis - Stafford
Hodgson – Reinhart [R] - Gionta

2015-16 (10/8/2015) - Bylsma
Technically, Reino only had 9 games of experience, so he’s Calder-eligible this year, too. Rookie up!

Moulson - O’Reilly - Ennis
Kane – Eichel [R] – Reinhart [R]

2016-17 (11/29/2016) - Bylsma
(I cheated and delayed to get past Eichel’s injury. Note that opening night had Ennis on 1LW and Larry as 2C. Sadly, Ennis was hurt just before Jack returned, so we didn't see a top 6 with he and Eichel in the lineup until later that season.)

Carrier [R] - R.O'Reilly - Okposo (pre-ICU)
Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

2017-18 (10/5/17) - Housley

Kane - Eichel - Pominville
Pouliot - O’Reilly - Okposo (post-ICU)

2018-19 (10/4/18) - Housley
Added an optional #2, based on ice-time it was the vets: Sobotka, Berglund, Okposo

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Sheary - Berglund - Thompson [R]  OR  Sobotka - Mittelstadt [R] - Okposo

2019-20 (10/3/19) - Krueger
If memory serves, Vesey played a period or so with Skinner and MoJo?

Olofsson [R] - Eichel - Reinhart
Skinner - Johansson - Sobotka/Vesey

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I agree that he's flawed, and I hope this is the year that he ceases to lead the D in ice time.  My point was more of a sentimental one -- the guy has persevered, worked hard, stood up for his teammates and done what his coaches have asked of him for pretty much the entirety of the worst period in team history.  If they are finally on the upswing, I'd like him to reap some of the rewards.

I'd take it a step further. I don't really like Risto - but he might magically get more valuable in the playoffs because the rules also seem to magically change every year once the playoffs start. 

He'll never be good in a first pair role, regardless, but an increased-value second pair asset in the playoffs? It's an intriguing possibility. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.