2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

Here is another interesting set of numbers:

28 23 24

28 35 25

26 29 32

22 25 19 27

That's the ages of our current group of forwards: 2 grizzled vets, 2 kids, and 9 players in their primes.

It's been a long, long time since we've been able to ice a team where the bulk of our forwards have been in that prime 23-30 range.

30 minutes ago, Curt said:

After the rest of the RFAs sign, Buffalo is going to shift straight up on that chart quite a bit.  Or is he already adding in estimated contracts for RFAs?

RFAs that have been issued their QO are assumed to be with their teams, I believe. 

We couldn't have improved by a few predicted wins I don't think if this was currently sitting at a loss of Reinhart, Olofsson, and our starting goalie. 

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

RFAs that have been issued their QO are assumed to be with their teams, I believe. 

We couldn't have improved by a few predicted wins I don't think if this was currently sitting at a loss of Reinhart, Olofsson, and our starting goalie. 

I assumed they were considered to be on the team, but I’m wondering what their salary is considered to be.  If he is just using last years salary, they Buffalo is going to shift straight up that graph (adding salary, but not Ws).  I’m guessing that he used contract projections though.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

I assumed they were considered to be on the team, but I’m wondering what their salary is considered to be.  If he is just using last years salary, they Buffalo is going to shift straight up that graph (adding salary, but not Ws).  I’m guessing that he used contract projections though.

Look at Ottawa lol

10 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Very interesting where Toronto ended up on that chart. That seems odd to me. Don’t get me wrong, I like it…

It just seems… Off.

Ya don't take anything like this as scripture. Was using it more as a conversation starter. Nice to see something statistically predicting improvement for us, though. And ya, the Leafs. I think they will be a bit better overall though with Brodie instead of Barrie, as long as they don't play the former Sabres very much. 

On 3/9/2020 at 2:36 PM, LGR4GM said:

You are absolutely dreaming if you think Marco Rossi is sliding to 9th overall. 

Also there is no reason to send Rossi back to junior. At his age, I don't think he gets much out of that. Sadly he probably isn't NHL ready. Maybe a year in Europe would be best for him. 

He slid to 9th.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why so many guys out of position? Sam on the 3rd line?  

How about?

Hall Eichel VO

Skinner Staal Reinhart

Girgensons Eakin KO

Lazar Cozens Thompson

So, 1 guy was out of position? Cozens? Who they've said is probably starting on wing? And to address that you moved Lazar out of position? Haha. Thompson is a winger who plays both sides. 

Cozens isn't going to play with another rookie, and a 13th man in Lazar on this off-hand, left wing. Forgetting Reinhart on the 3rd line, a Thompson - Eakin - Cozens, Girgensons - Lazar - KO set-up gives us a defensive line and potentially a sheltered offensive line - your bottom 6 set up leaves us with a defensive line, which fails to maximize Eakin, and what looks like a useless line 4 - at least Eakin has some unlockable offensive potential, I could see him providing a reasonable defensive presence for Thompson and Cozens while not torpedoing their offense like playing them with a 13th forward would. Which would also go against their stated desire of playing him on W next to a veteran C. 

So basically your noteworthy change is Reinhart - who could definitely be on line 2, that's where I think I'd have him to start - but plenty are advocating for a more balanced, vegas-like configuration where he's on line 3. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

So, 1 guy was out of position? Cozens? Who they've said is probably starting on wing? And to address that you moved Lazar out of position? Haha. 

Cozens isn't going to play with another rookie, and a 13th man in Lazar on this off-hand, left wing. 

So basically your noteworthy change is Reinhart - who could definitely be on line 2, that's where I think I'd have him to start - but plenty are advocating for a more balanced, vegas-like configuration where he's on line 3. 

Thompson has never played LW.  He was a C when drafted, but only has played RW in the pros.   VO is a LW, but admittedly does have some pro RW experience in Sweden.  Lazar played C for us last year, but has often been a LW in his pro career.

You had Cozens, Thompson, and VO out of position.  My lineup has everyone in position and allows Cozens to develop in a more sheltered position and at the position he needs to be playing in the NHL.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Thompson has never played LW.  He was a C when drafted, but only has played RW in the pros.   VO is a LW, but admittedly does have some pro RW experience in Sweden.  Lazar played C for us last year, but has often been a LW in his pro career.

You had Cozens, Thompson, and VO out of position.  My lineup has everyone in position and allows Cozens to develop in a more sheltered position and at the position he needs to be playing in the NHL.

Wrong. 

Anyways, Lazar - Cozens - Thompson would be a horrific line. Imagine starting Cozens with another rookie and a 13th forward and expecting him to produce. 

Lazar is going to be at C. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/players/playerpage/2245519/tage-thompson

"Thompson's two goals are his first pair as a Sabre. It still leaves him with only three points in 16 games. However, he's spent most of his time on the fourth line, but has recently been utilized on the second line left wing. This opportunity may be allowing Thompson to tap into his offensive potential that warranted him being a first-round draft selection in 2016."

https://athletique.com/2135535/2020/10/13/draw-the-lines-a-look-at-how-the-sabres-forwards-may-stack-up/

"There's also flexibility. Thompson has skated on the left wing."

- - - 

Reinhart and KO will be at RW. From comments we know the preference is for Cozens to start at RW. So that leaves one spot - if we assume it's a top 6 spot, it's likely going to be VO, he played in the top 6 last year and I see him as much more likely to adequately fill a top 6 role than Thompson. Leaving Thompson at LW. 

If Cozens ends up playing top 6 RW, maybe VO stays on the left and Thompson plays on the right. 

49 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why so many guys out of position? Sam on the 3rd line?  

How about?

Hall Eichel VO

Skinner Staal Reinhart

Girgensons Eakin KO

Lazar Cozens Thompson

Excepting having the 4th line all out of position, you've come around to the F lines I've expected since they picked up Reider & Eakin.  👍

Can't see anyway that they'd start Cozens at C on a line w/ one of the best FO men this team has seen.  Krueger has been quoted here several times saying LW/RW doesn't matter, & considering it'll be on the 4th line minutes-wise, can't see there being huge concern over playing Thompson on the LW.  They'll be fluid in the O-zone, so it really only matters when covering the points whether Tage goes L or R.  

Expect Cozens will most likely move up the lineup at RW sooner than he would at C (though LT 2C seems to be pencilled as his to lose), so might as well start him there w/ easy minutes and see how he runs w/ it and how he forces decisions.

If the GT were set (and expect it will be on paper by opening night) then this is actually an honest to goodness NHL lineup.  FINALLY!

I’m starting to wonder if Okposo has a spot. If they want Reider to improve the PK, and they just shelled out for Girgensons, Girgensons - Lazar - Reider surely sounds like our 4th line.

Okposo doesn’t have Larsson anymore, doesn’t do PK, and is likely to lose PP time to Tage or Cozens.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

I’m starting to wonder if Okposo has a spot. If they want Reider to improve the PK, and they just shelled out for Girgensons, Girgensons - Lazar - Reider surely sounds like our 4th line.

Okposo doesn’t have Larsson anymore, doesn’t do PK, and is likely to lose PP time to Tage or Cozens.

I don't expect Okposo to play on the first PP unit. But what he does well compared to the two youngsters you listed is that he is willing to position himself in front of the net and pay the price. He and Reinhart seem to be the two most willing players to do the dirty work. I thought that on the few occasions when Krueger put Risto in front of the net on the PP he was effective. 

6 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

Doubt they give Reider the spot over Okposo, but if he outplays him in TC ...

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't expect Okposo to play on the first PP unit. But what he does well compared to the two youngsters you listed is that he is willing to position himself in front of the net and pay the price. He and Reinhart seem to be the two most willing players to do the dirty work. I thought that on the few occasions when Krueger put Risto in front of the net on the PP he was effective. 

If I’m Krueger, I’m parking Tage in front of the net on PP2.

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Doubt they give Reider the spot over Okposo, but if he outplays him in TC ...

It’s all about improving that PK. If they think Reider can do that, than either Okposo or Tage are sitting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.