2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Separate from your point, which I completely agree with, but inspired by your lineup chart: don’t forget about Tobias Reider.

I expect he is penciled in right now in the starting 12. I think he has been handpicked to be on the first PK unit which will keep him in the lineup most nights.

He’s kinda like Eakin in the sense that he’s coming off a bad patch,  but he’s got a history of being trusted defensively and can score 10-15 goals and 30 points. He actually got 48 Selke votes one year. 

Remember how Ralph kind of resurrected Girgensons game last year? Rieder (and Eakin) approach the game with the same kinda mindset as Z. I can see scenarios where they are used as a line of terriers to hound the puck.

The year Zemgus had 15 goals, Rieder had 13 and Eakin 19. Unlike Zemgus, the other two have hit those numbers multiple times. Be interesting to see if Ralph can re-ignite their games.

I suspect Ralph will use them as hounds and tell Cozens, Thompson, Asplund and Mittelstadt that when they are as detailed and hustle as much as those three (and, I guess Lazar as well) they will be in the lineup.

I just wonder who he'd replace out of the 12, though, as we are paying both Thompson and Girgs to play, now. Maybe Lazar? He'd have to be the guy I guess, but Kreuger likes him. And that would leave Girgs at centre. 

A lot of that is moot anyways as it's rare that we have a completely healthy compliment of forwards, same goes for most teams. I'd still guess he starts as the 13th guy on paper, but ya he'll be playing. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I just wonder who he'd replace out of the 12, though, as we are paying both Thompson and Girgs to play, now. Maybe Lazar? He'd have to be the guy I guess, but Kreuger likes him. And that would leave Girgs at centre. 

A lot of that is moot anyways as it's rare that we have a completely healthy compliment of forwards, same goes for most teams. I'd still guess he starts as the 13th guy on paper, but ya he'll be playing. 

I just think most coaches will prioritize the top PK pair over the chemistry of the 4th line.

I think when push comes to shove it will be Lazar as the odd man out early, with Cozens and Thompson closest to the hot seat. Once guys start getting banged up it will be moot.

I wonder if we are going to ask Okposo to adjust his role again.

We've all come around on him because of the LOG line, but I don't think the LOG line is coming back — as a concept as well as a reality.

Will Kyle be asked to play more of a two-way game instead of as a pure shutdown guy? Can he ride shotgun with Tage and/or Dylan as a mentor, get some 2nd unit PP time, and get back to the 15-goal, 30-point level?

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We've all come around on him because of the LOG line, but I don't think the LOG line is coming back — as a concept as well as a reality.

Will Kyle be asked to play more of a two-way game instead of as a pure shutdown guy? Can he ride shotgun with Tage and/or Dylan as a mentor, get some 2nd unit PP time, and get back to the 15-goal, 30-point level?

The Log line played a 2 way game, they just started in their own end.  They spent a lot of time in the oppositions end of the ice.  Okposo has already been around a 15-goal, 30-point pace the past couple years.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

Am expecting the defensive/ 2 way line that gets 3rd line minutes will be Girgensons - Eakin - Okposo.

Which makes the 4th line a selection of Thompson - Lazar - Cozens - Reider - surprise developer from Ra-cha-cha.  Can't see Thompson sitting if fully recovered from the shoulder injury at his salary & can't see Cozens sitting as it does nothing for his development.  Lazar is a C that wins every faceoff & can play PK.  Reider is on a league minimum deal & primarily would be a PKer, but they also have Lazar, Girgensons, & Eakin that typically play PK.  Plus pretty sure Hall plays it & Eichel also does a bit as well.  So, expecting Reider the odd man out when all are healthy, but how often will the top 12 all be healthy?

I flipped on the Instigators this morning as I was out for a ride.  Rivet's unbridled love for Thompson is hilarious.  In a span of 30 minutes, I think I heard 6'6" 230 lbs, at least 3 times..and HIGHLY SKILLED.  Not sure if this is a daily occurrence, but it was a bit of comic relief in an otherwise depressing year.

Damn...I guess we have the next great power forward waiting in the wings...fresh off a demotion to the AHL which ended a 1/4 of the way into the season with an injury.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

He was on track for 14 goals and 30 points last year whilst being the shutdown line in fairness

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I flipped on the Instigators this morning as I was out for a ride.  Rivet's unbridled love for Thompson is hilarious.  In a span of 30 minutes, I think I heard 6'6" 230 lbs, at least 3 times..and HIGHLY SKILLED.  Not sure if this is a daily occurrence, but it was a bit of comic relief in an otherwise depressing year.

Damn...I guess we have the next great power forward waiting in the wings...fresh off a demotion to the AHL which ended a 1/4 of the way into the season with an injury.

That tracks, he describes pretty much every player by height and weight first.

And if he is at 230 that should help 

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres still list Tage at 215 and Dahlin at 193.

I read a feature a few months back on Tage that I'm pretty sure listed him at 225 and something on Ras more recently that him well over 200.

Unrelated, while checking weights, I see Matt Irwin gets #52 and Cody Eakin with #20, along with Staal at #12.

Take that for what it's worth, because it also lists Toby Rieder at #16, which is highly unlikely, Hall at #91 when he's already said he's wearing #4 and both Brandon Davidson and Kyle Okposo with #21.

It also still has Lawrence Pilut on the big club's roster, which is odd because it does not have Reinhart, Ullmark or Olofsson.

On 10/12/2020 at 12:59 PM, Brawndo said:

One of the best offseason plans is having Your Franchise Defenseman bulk up to this. 

0454172D-B337-46CA-AD70-CA690C4975A0.png

Dahlin redefines "Tank" in Buffalo

20 hours ago, Curt said:

So, I think this picture demonstrates why it can be wrong to compare 19 yr old Dahlin directly to guys like Makar, Heiskanen, or Hughes, even though those guys are only 1-2 years older.  Guys regularly make huge physical gains between ages 19-22.  Especially a kind of lanky 19 yr old 6’3” guy compared to more compact 5’11”-6’0” guys.  Dahlin just had/has a lot more physical development ahead of him.

And in their primes, even with similar skating and puck skills, a 6’3” 210lb Dahlin has a lot more potential than a 5’11” 190lb guy.

Puppy chow for a full year.. til they're full grown.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Rivet is infatuated with Thompson and has been so for quite a while. But the point he is making emphasizing weight and strength with Thompson and to a lesser extent with Dahlin is that there is a transition period for young players who haven't entered the adult stage from a physical standpoint. As he often states it is growing into an adult body.  He calls it Man Strength

It would be a major bonus for this team if a young player such as Thompson made a quantum leap forward and became the player that was expected for a first round pick. Because of his height and gangly stature the maturation process was going to take him longer than other touted younger players. Let's hope that he has finally gotten to that level. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/12/2020 at 12:16 PM, dudacek said:

I'm glad it looks like there is no spot for Casey on this team. It's good for his development and it makes trading him easier.

But I would love it if he took a step and enabled a Tage/Casey/Cozens 4th line.

i like that line too. 

though i would use it as a 3rd line and would never start them on a defensive face-off. Obviously not used as a checking line

Girgs, Eakins, Okposo., Lazar and Reider can fight for spots on 4th / defensive line.

If Mitts still isn't ready for the NHL, then I like Lazar between Tage and Cozens. I really like Lazar and think he is good enough defensively and has potential to produce offensively this season. 

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don't see Cozens and KO as much of a fit unless Cozens is at C, and I don't see that as likely based on their comments. 

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Am expecting the defensive/ 2 way line that gets 3rd line minutes will be Girgensons - Eakin - Okposo.

Which makes the 4th line a selection of Thompson - Lazar - Cozens - Reider - surprise developer from Ra-cha-cha.  Can't see Thompson sitting if fully recovered from the shoulder injury at his salary & can't see Cozens sitting as it does nothing for his development.  Lazar is a C that wins every faceoff & can play PK.  Reider is on a league minimum deal & primarily would be a PKer, but they also have Lazar, Girgensons, & Eakin that typically play PK.  Plus pretty sure Hall plays it & Eichel also does a bit as well.  So, expecting Reider the odd man out when all are healthy, but how often will the top 12 all be healthy?

Myself I still like the idea of Thompson - Eakin - Cozens. If that's going to be a pretty sheltered line, I like Eakin's shot best at providing some offence. I think they let Lazar have a shot a being Larry-light, and trust Girgs and KO to keep that line running on time, in combination with easier usage than last year. 

Agree Rieder is 13th man to start, on paper. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The Sabres still list Tage at 215 and Dahlin at 193.

I read a feature a few months back on Tage that I'm pretty sure listed him at 225 and something on Ras more recently that him well over 200.

Unrelated, while checking weights, I see Matt Irwin gets #52 and Cody Eakin with #20, along with Staal at #12.

Take that for what it's worth, because it also lists Toby Rieder at #16, which is highly unlikely, Hall at #91 when he's already said he's wearing #4 and both Brandon Davidson and Kyle Okposo with #21.

It also still has Lawrence Pilut on the big club's roster, which is odd because it does not have Reinhart, Ullmark or Olofsson.

The official site is always so wonky. Go look at the "in the system" page, though. It looks really strong right now lol. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Anyone else notice the Sabres have acquired five "good Canadian kids" over the past month and drafted another in the 1st round?

Maybe it's what they've been missing. 😜

One of us was going to say it 😆😉

Jokes. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is what the Sabres roster is going to look like, cap wise, with the signing of Reinhart to a 6.5 aav, Olofsson to a 3.5 aav, and Ullmark to a 2.5 aav:

Untitled.thumb.png.06eb73f8171fee6b8c4d27a6bf75b091.png

The cap for that roster is as follows:

a.thumb.png.b65addf157e4f97eddb541e76bad1d96.png

So the "self imposed cap" is not really the limiting factor now, it's just the cap. Any deal we make is pretty much money in, money out, unless we don't lock up one of the RFAs. 

Edited by Thorny

This won’t happen anywhere outside my imagination, but I’d love to see these combos rocking all cylinders as we head towards the playoffs, strictly for the story lines and the entertainment value

The Yappy Little Mutts line: Girgensons Eakin Reider

Speed galore, forechecking intensity, defensively dependable and capable of burying the mistakes they force

The Can’t Wait Until Tomorrow line: Olofsson Cozens Thompson

Three skilled fast kids with the enthusiasm and right talent mix to feast on 3rd defence pairings

The 2014 Called line: Skinner Staal Okposo

Three old pros rediscover the fountain of youth with an extra dose of heaviness and savvy 

The Best Line In Hockey line: Hall Eichel Reinhart

Remember the days of 7, 11 and 14?

Dammit, Adams has me daydreaming again.

Edited by dudacek
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This won’t happen anywhere outside my imagination, but I’d love to see these combos rocking all cylinders as we head towards the playoffs, strictly for the story lines and the entertainment value

Speed galore, forechecking intensity, defensively dependable and capable of burying the mistakes they force

The Can’t Wait Until 2024 line: Olofsson Cozens Thompson

Three skilled fast kids with the enthusiasm and right talent mix to feast on 3rd defence pairings

Three old pros rediscover the fountain of youth with an extra dose of heaviness and savvy 

I don't think  that Okposo will be on the second line. However, if he does find himself on that more talented line it would be terrific if he would be more involved in the scoring. He's a fine fellow that one roots for. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The Can’t Wait Until Tomorrow line: Olofsson Cozens Thompson

I proposed KO on the second line a few days ago and everyone said he is to old and slow to play that role.  I agree with you.  I think he'd be fine.  He has some experience with high end players and I can see him in a kind of enforcer role keeping others from taking liberties on Staal and Skinner.  

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I proposed KO on the second line a few days ago and everyone said he is to old and slow to play that role.  I agree with you.  I think he'd be fine.  He has some experience with high end players and I can see him in a kind of enforcer role keeping others from taking liberties on Staal and Skinner.  

I think KO is definitely fast enough to play on a second line.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.