2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

On 9/25/2020 at 5:29 PM, Brawndo said:

Craig Smith from Nashville is the player they should be looking at

From the Athletic:

• Predators forward Craig Smith will test free agency, according to agent Kevin Magnuson. “A three-year deal is our goal,” Magnuson said. “I think the number, because there are eight to 10 teams that have decent cap space, I think we won’t be too far off at the end of the day. He’s not going to be signing any blockbuster deals, but at the same time, he’s going to be in the market or a little bit above it, I think.”

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

NOT happening.  Can we please stop with this?

I agree. Why would we even want to do that to ourselves. Okposo isn't worth 6mil but he is a useful NHL player in his new role. I would also add he is one of the few older veterans in that locker room. Let him be, at least he gives a damn. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am thankful Okposo isn't and has never been a one-trick pony. He was one of the biggest UFA signings the year we got him, right? Those rarely work out. Relative to other adds we have seen, here and across the league, and especially considering the severe health issues he had to go through - I consider us lucky we are still rostering a useful player with that 6 mil who works hard and I'd imagine is a valuable influence in the room - to @LGR4GM's point above. 

Happy to have him play out his deal. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I am thankful Okposo isn't and has never been a one-trick pony. He was one of the biggest UFA signings the year we got him, right? Those rarely work out. Relative to other adds we have seen, here and across the league, and especially considering the severe health issues he had to go through - I consider us lucky we are still rostering a useful player with that 6 mil who works hard and I'd imagine is a valuable influence in the room - to @LGR4GM's point above. 

Happy to have him play out his deal. 

Serious question:  if KO's contract had expired now, or last summer, or the summer before, would he still be on the team?  I think the answer is that he almost certainly would not be, and that he'd likely not be in the NHL.

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Serious question:  if KO's contract had expired now, or last summer, or the summer before, would he still be on the team?  I think the answer is that he almost certainly would not be, and that he'd likely not be in the NHL.

Really?  You don’t think he has played at an NHL level the past couple season?  I feel like he could be a solid bottom 6 (energy/defensive line) wing and veteran leader on most teams in the league.  Not worth $6M obviously, but if he was a UFA, I would have zero problem bringing him back on a 1-2 year deal at $1-1.5M.

19 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

He might play for a contender if he felt it was the right situation, but otherwise I think you're right--but not because teams wouldn't want 32-year-old KO.  Rather, I think he'd hang 'em up.

46 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He might play for a contender if he felt it was the right situation, but otherwise I think you're right--but not because teams wouldn't want 32-year-old KO.  Rather, I think he'd hang 'em up.

I think a guy who can get you a dozen goals and 25 points and grind effectively while showing the kids the way would have a role on virtually any team. Don’t think he’s interested in hanging it up.

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think a guy who can get you a dozen goals and 25 points and grind effectively while showing the kids the way would have a role on virtually any team. Don’t think he’s interested in hanging it up.

If he was periodically moved up to the second line to mix it up a little and was given some opportunities on the second PP unit  where he could hover around the net I believe that he could be a 15 goal scorer. He's a character guy and player. He's an asset that not only won't hurt you but will help you in immeasurable ways. I'm sure Krueger is the type of coach that understands and appreciates what he brings to the table. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Had his contract expired this offseason I'd guess he'd get picked up by a team to be a vet Bot 6 guy at under 2mil. 

If he were making 3mil here in Buffalo few would likely have a problem with him; he's a hard working veteran player who is a good influence on the entire team. His problem isn't his play per-say but rather his play in comparison to his contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Ya, what they ^ said.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

The first sentence is my point. 

Whether he gets the right gig, again assuming @nfreeman's hypothetical, is a different question.  But yeah, teams would be interested in him.  Whether he would be out of the league would be up to HIM, not up to the market.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/22/2020 at 10:49 AM, sabresparaavida said:

My bad. My source basically said that the deal at this point is pretty unlikely, that team is unlikely to sell both those assets at this point in time, and now that we have staal, there is no need to sell the farm for them. 

My source did say to keep an eye on Vegas and Calgary as possible trade teams- mentioned Marchessault as an under the radar player that could be dealt this offseason.

Hey @sabresparaavida Have you heard anything lately? Things must be heating up quite a bit!

Thanks for your info, we all appreciates it.

On 9/22/2020 at 10:49 AM, sabresparaavida said:

My bad. My source basically said that the deal at this point is pretty unlikely, that team is unlikely to sell both those assets at this point in time, and now that we have staal, there is no need to sell the farm for them. 

My source did say to keep an eye on Vegas and Calgary as possible trade teams- mentioned Marchessault as an under the radar player that could be dealt this offseason.

Craig Rivet has been highlighting on his WGR hockey show recently that Marchessault is a player who is likely candidate to be moved because of the salary situation in Vegas. What is squeezing Vegas is their desire to get Lehner signed. Marchessault may be a necessary casualty due to their tight cap situation in order for the organization to put the salary puzzles together. The Sabres are very well positioned compared to many teams to get some good quality deals done.  

Marchessault is interesting.  He's a C, shoots R, turns 30 in December, 5'9", 180, very good skater, pretty productive at about 55-60 pts per season, plays about 17 min per game, and has 4 years left on a contract with a $5MM per year cap hit but $4.25MM per year average cash hit, and no NTC.

This is another guy that would usually either not be available, or available only at a steep price in trade, but this year might be available at a pretty discounted price.

Yes please.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He would be a better fit as a forward on a Staal line with maybe Skinner as the other winger????

He's older and comparable to Reinhart in terms of production. So yea, you could do Skinner - Staal - Marcherssaults. Gives you the option of the next year doing Skinner - Cozens - Marcherssaaulltssass.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Marchessault is interesting.  He's a C, shoots R, turns 30 in December, 5'9", 180, very good skater, pretty productive at about 55-60 pts per season, plays about 17 min per game, and has 4 years left on a contract with a $5MM per year cap hit but $4.25MM per year average cash hit, and no NTC.

This is another guy that would usually either not be available, or available only at a steep price in trade, but this year might be available at a pretty discounted price.

Yes please.

Heart eyes 

11 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Yes please.

This may or may not have been discussed at last years trade deadline. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.