2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

Good article on this summer's UFAs from Pierre Lebrun in the Athletic today.  https://theathletic.com/2082979/2020/09/22/lebrun-uncertain-free-agent-market-brings-individual-players-cases-into-focus/

On Granlund:

“We see him tapping out as a 50-plus point guy,” one NHL team executive said Monday via text message. “Our guys don’t think he will get back to being a high 60 point guy. More of a playmaker than a shooter. Average skater with high hockey sense. Strictly a winger. On both special teams. Good (complementary) winger.”

On Greiss and other goalies:

It would appear more likely the 34-year-old Greiss throws his hat in the congested goalie carousel the NHL has on display this offseason. He’s coming off a season in which he posted a .913 save percentage in 31 games (and .929 in four playoff appearances) while counting $3.33 million against the cap.

There are bigger names on the goalie market but he’s the type of guy on a shorter-term deal that gives teams some 1B insurance; a goalie that can carry them for a stretch of games if the 1A starter gets injured or is slumping.

His .913 save percentage from this season is fifth among pending UFA goalies behind playoff star Anton Khudobin (.930), Robin Lehner (.920), Cam Talbot (.919), Jacob Markstrom (.918) and Corey Crawford (.917).

On 9/20/2020 at 9:39 AM, thewookie1 said:

So what were the results good sir/mam?

My bad. My source basically said that the deal at this point is pretty unlikely, that team is unlikely to sell both those assets at this point in time, and now that we have staal, there is no need to sell the farm for them. 

My source did say to keep an eye on Vegas and Calgary as possible trade teams- mentioned Marchessault as an under the radar player that could be dealt this offseason.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

My bad. My source basically said that the deal at this point is pretty unlikely, that team is unlikely to sell both those assets at this point in time, and now that we have staal, there is no need to sell the farm for them. 

My source did say to keep an eye on Vegas and Calgary as possible trade teams- mentioned Marchessault as an under the radar player that could be dealt this offseason.

Just one question. Did your source mention what we're looking for exactly?  

We fans know what the team should be looking for (defensive center, defensemen adjustments, scoring wing, goalie shakeup), but I'm curious to know what amongst those are Adams' priorities?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

100 Reasons Why We Love The Office - E! Online

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

I see Stastny being moved first.

14 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

While I can understand why Vegas would want to trade Marchessault who is making $6 M I don't see the Sabres interesting in such a high cost player. 

As you pointed out the acquisition of Staal lessens the need to go all out and deplete the bank of our assets to fill the 2C spot. Although Staal isn't a long term answer he provides the organization more options in scanning the market for good deals this offseason. 

I've spent a good amount of time listening to Knights fans this offseason, so I think I have a decent grasp at their situation.

Fleury is almost certainly going to be traded, and if it comes down to it he'll be waived/bought out.  He's gone.

Stastny is the next guy to go if Fleury doesn't open up enough space for Lehner and their RFAs/other changes.  There's some concern about their center depth if they move him, but most feel confident in Glass/Stephenson as their middle 6 centers.

Marchessault seems to be #3 on their chopping block.  I only think he gets moved if they shake up their lineup in a larger trade or make a splash in free agency (Pietrangelo?), but he is definitely the third most popular trade option.  Much to my dismay, because I was looking into them to begin with hoping there was a case where they would trade Tuch. 😂

I agree that Marchessault at face value seems a little pricey for us this offseason. But who knows.

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

While I can understand why Vegas would want to trade Marchessault who is making $6 M I don't see the Sabres interesting in such a high cost player. 

As you pointed out the acquisition of Staal lessens the need to go all out and deplete the bank of our assets to fill the 2C spot. Although Staal isn't a long term answer he provides the organization more options in scanning the market for good deals this offseason. 

Marchessault‘s cap hit is $5M.  In actual money he is owed $17M over 4 years, equaling out to $4.25M per.  He made $13M combined over the first 2 years of his 6 year deal.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

Buyout window opens Friday.

Mirtle has Carter Hutton on his list of those who could get bought out.

Buyout cap hit: $916,667 for the next two seasons

Why would the Sabres buy him out when putting him in Ra-cha-cha only counts ~$1.6MM against the cap if nobody claims him when he goes down?

The Sabres COULD (if necessary) slide the bonuses Dahlin will inevitably earn into next year's budget.  Saving $700k this year in cap space when it costs $900k next year doesn't make sense unless the Pegulas truly were cash strapped.  (They're not that cash strapped.)

Seems like he's a bit of a DB, but isn't Erik Haula pretty much the perfect UFA signing for the Sabres?

Two-way 30-40 point centre who can shift to the wing if needed and move up and down the lineup.

Skinner Eichel XXX

Olofsson Staal Reinhart

XXX Haula XXX

XXX XXX Okposo

Lazar

XXX= Kahun, Cozens, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Asplund, plus a Girgensons type acquisition.

Edited by dudacek

Hypotheticl:

Vegas calls and wants to trade Fleury to open up cap space.  They will retain salary (How much can one team retain) and take hutton.  What is the sweetener to make it happen?

Ideally for me: Fleury (salary retained)+Tuch for Hutton+middling prospect or mid round pick.  Probably a non starter but if we are helping them wih Fleury I want something of substance back.  I would be willing to move Mitts if Vegas retains enough salary and included Tuch.

Tuch, Marshessault and McNabb are pieces I could reasonably see them moving on from for the right offer. 

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Hypotheticl:

Vegas calls and wants to trade Fleury to open up cap space.  They will retain salary (How much can one team retain) and take hutton.  What is the sweetener to make it happen?

Ideally for me: Fleury (salary retained)+Tuch for Hutton+middling prospect or mid round pick.  Probably a non starter but if we are helping them wih Fleury I want something of substance back.  I would be willing to move Mitts if Vegas retains enough salary and included Tuch.

Tuch, Marshessault and McNabb are pieces I could reasonably see them moving on from for the right offer. 

Maximum retention is 50%, so for Fleury would be $3.5M.

Full retention on Fleury and we'd be the one throwing in a sweetener.  And honestly, I don't see them being interested in Hutton.  Remember that Vegas went out and got Lehner to bolster their goalie depth before the playoffs.  With a compressed schedule next year, they aren't going to be comfortable with Hutton as their 2.

On top of that, it sure sounds like they have no interest in moving Tuch for any reasonable offer.  He's a whole lot more than a sweetener to them.

Edited by Shootica

I wouldn't

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Coburn, Maatta, Stralman, John Moore, Brendan Smith and Marc Staal among the depth defencemen who could soon be on the market, according to Mirtle.

I wouldn't mind adding Stralman or Staal to the bottom of our D group.  They would bring much needed leadership to the group as well as some reasonable depth play.

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Seems like he's a bit of a DB, but isn't Erik Haula pretty much the perfect UFA signing for the Sabres?

Two-way 30-40 point centre who can shift to the wing if needed and move up and down the lineup.

Skinner Eichel XXX

Olofsson Staal Reinhart

XXX Haula XXX

XXX XXX Okposo

Lazar

XXX= Kahun, Cozens, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Asplund, plus a Girgensons type acquisition.

Haula is a good depth player who has had one really good season for his career.  He is a 35 pt player  At some point the kids have to play.  I'd much rather spend money on a 2nd line RW then another depth center when we have Cozens, Mitts, Larsson (if re-signed) and Lazar already here.  His best attribute is that he wins faceoffs.  I'm all for signing him over Larsson, but not for getting both.

I'm ok with a spine of Eichel Staal Haula Cozens with RK using the Haula line as the shutdown line and then using our 4th line as a young offensive zone weapon.  However, we can;t just try to solve our problems with money spent on outside assets.  We must develop some talent from our prospect pool beside Eichel, Dahlin and Reinhart for this team to succeed long-term.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

At some point the kids have to play...we can;t just try to solve our problems with money spent on outside assets.  We must develop some talent from our prospect pool beside Eichel, Dahlin and Reinhart for this team to succeed long-term.

I agree 100 percent. The roster I pitched leaves five spots open for the kids to fight over, the of them in the top nine.

Signing Haula gives us the flexibility to do that.

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I agree 100 percent. The roster I pitched leaves five spots open for the kids to fight over, the of them in the top nine.

Signing Haula gives us the flexibility to do that.

I think with your roster, we have to fill the fourth line with strong defensive UFA adds or our PK will be a trainwreck.

And Kahun takes an X spot, leaving two places open for the kids.  Which I think is an ideal number, but just saying.

Edited by Shootica

1 hour ago, Shootica said:

I think with your roster, we have to fill the fourth line with strong defensive UFA adds or our PK will be a trainwreck.

And Kahun takes an X spot, leaving two places open for the kids.  Which I think is an idea number, but just saying.

I was counting Kahun among the kids. I know some people have anointed him for the top 6 already , but to me he's played two years pro and hasn't cemented his role or status yet.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Marchessault‘s cap hit is $5M.  In actual money he is owed $17M over 4 years, equaling out to $4.25M per.  He made $13M combined over the first 2 years of his 6 year deal.

As a Sabre would you consider him worth the price? And do you consider him to be a second-line caliber of player? If he is a second line player and plays a more hard charging style of play then the price quotes that you posted would make him a reasonable player to acquire. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Skinner Eichel XXX

Olofsson Staal Reinhart

XXX Haula XXX

XXX XXX Okposo

Lazar

My only issue with Haula is he reminds me of why we disliked Bogosian, he's hurt a lot the past 2 years. Otherwise I like the pickup. If I'm not mistaken he keeps hurting his knee and is out a significant amount of time each time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jsb said:

My only issue with Haula is he reminds me of why we disliked Bogosian, he's hurt a lot the past 2 years. Otherwise I like the pickup. If I'm not mistaken he keeps hurting his knee and is out a significant amount of time each time.

Hard to say about this, would need to see medically.  With his knee, it was one very bad injury that required major surgery and rehab.  That was 2018-19.  Then he returned this year and missed a little time with it.  He was healthy at the end of the season though.  Hard to say for sure.  Would need to trust the doctors opinions.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.