2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

24 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I haven’t asked yet, but I think it would be reasonable for it to be. The trade would push Staal down to 3c, so...🤷‍♂️.

The lineup post “super-trade” if it did happen would be something like:

skinner-Eichel-Cozens?

acquisition-acquisition-Olofsson 

kahun-Staal-Thompson?

4th line 

I'd be curious if any fallback involves RD for some top 6 winger now, because I still expect Montour to get traded with Risto staying...(and 1 more center)

Olof Eichel Reinhart

Skinner Staal TRADE

Kahun NEED Cozens/Thompson

Lazar Ruots Okposo

I like retaining Reinhart, though.

Edited by Gabrielor

24 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I haven’t asked yet, but I think it would be reasonable for it to be. The trade would push Staal down to 3c, so...🤷‍♂️.

skinner-Eichel-Cozens?

kahun-Staal-Thompson?

4th line 

Sure looks like Reinhart+ for Monahan and Gaudreau.  Copp wouldn't be pushing Staal to 3C.

• Like (+1) 1

9.000 10.000 4.250 81.500   Jeff Skinner Jack Eichel Victor Olofsson
6.750 6.375 0.925     Johnny Gaudreau Sean Monahan Dylan Cozens
0.000 3.250 2.100 Total     Eric Staal Dominik Kahun
0.800 0.925 6.000 73.191   Curtis Lazar Arttu Ruotsalainen Kyle Okposo
0.925 3.875   8.309   Rasmus Dahlin Colin Miller  
2.850 0.925       Jake McCabe Henri Jokiharju  
4.000 0.800       Brandon Montour Will Borgen  
2.850         Linus Ullmark    
2.750         Carter Hutton    
0.850 0.700 0.000     Tage Thompson UFA-D  
Hodgson Salary Penalty            
0.791 1.500 0.000          
Waived              
IR              
IR              
LTIR              
LTIR              

Money *could* work, but it's tight....

Edited by Gabrielor

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

If money was a primary concern, then it’s $1M more feasible than it was yesterday.

You're right. In my fantasy mock, rather than Montour for Copp, I'd be looking for Montour for 3rd line winger.

The fit problem creeps in though. Eichel-Monahan-Staal down the middle leaves a lot of defensive burden on the 4th line, which is why I'm expecting Monahan (if he ever was a target) is dead as a target. Ristolainen for Gaudreau though....

Edited by Gabrielor

44 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

skinner-Eichel-Cozens?

kahun-Staal-Thompson?

4th line 

I'll sign an NDA 🙂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

You're right. In my fantasy mock, rather than Montour for Copp, I'd be looking for Montour for 3rd line winger.

The fit problem creeps in though. Eichel-Monahan-Staal down the middle leaves a lot of defensive burden on the 4th line, which is why I'm expecting Monahan (if he ever was a target) is dead as a target. Ristolainen for Gaudreau though....

There is a literal scout/analytics guy who works for calgary who already has shot down them trading for Risto. 

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There is a literal scout/analytics guy who works for calgary who already has shot down them trading for Risto. 

There were apparently five offers made for Eric Staal that Minnesota wanted to accept that were literally shot down by Staal.

My point is people make far too much about a decision that was made at least three years ago, when clearly there were other people in Calgary who liked Risto enough to seriously consider whatever proposal was on the table..

Circumstances change: new boss, new co-workers, new set of team needs, change in player role/effectiveness, different offer being made...

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There were apparently five offers made for Eric Staal that Minnesota wanted to accept that were literally shot down by Staal.

My point is people make far too much about a decision that was made at least three years ago, when clearly there were other people in Calgary who liked Risto enough to seriously consider whatever proposal was on the table..

Circumstances change: new boss, new co-workers, new set of team needs, change in player role/effectiveness, different offer being made...

I am fairly certain that trade was last year in the summer when it was shot down. Pretty sure Calgary has the same players up top making the calls. In fact they have had the same GM since 2014. They aren't trading for Ristolainen. Montour might be of interest though. 

Staal had a NT list, that's very different and the GM who agreed not to move him is gone.

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am fairly certain that trade was last year in the summer when it was shot down. Pretty sure Calgary has the same players up top making the calls. In fact they have had the same GM since 2014. They aren't trading for Ristolainen. Montour might be of interest though. 

Staal had a NT list, that's very different and the GM who agreed not to move him is gone.

Brian Burke was in the building at the time and he hasn't worked for the Flames since the spring of 2018. I believe it happened in the summer of 2017.

What you know is that the Flames had an offer on the table that they seriously considered, but ultimately rejected based on the argument made by their analytics guy.

The fact that it got to that point means there were guys with the Flames who like Risto.

You have no idea if the Flames opinion on Risto has changed, or if there is a price point where they might consider acquiring him. You are making absolute statements based on limited information.

Edited by dudacek

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Brian Burke was in the building at the time and he hasn't worked for the Flames since the spring of 2018. I believe it happened in the summer of 2017.

What you know is that the Flames had an offer on the table that they seriously considered, but ultimately rejected based on the argument made by their analytics guy.

The fact that it got to that point means there were guys with the Flames who like Risto.

You have no idea if the Flames opinion on Risto has changed, or if there is a price point where they might consider acquiring him. You are making absolute statements based on limited information.

Cool.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So Ehlers and Copp for Montour and Reinhart. Guess I am missing a sweetner in there from Winnipeg. 

Good call on Reinhart. As others have said though, probably unlikely to bump Eric down. 

If this *was* the deal I'm glad we got what we did, Reinhart/Ehlers more/less a toss up, and I'd rather have Staal than Copp I think and I'd rather pay Johansson than Montour (Based on thinking Montour would fetch more in a separate trade. But who knows based on what we just got for Mojo).

4 hours ago, Shootica said:

Sure looks like Reinhart+ for Monahan and Gaudreau.  Copp wouldn't be pushing Staal to 3C.

This was my first thought. So Monahan instead of Staal. Considering what Monahan is going to get, if we someone lived in a world where we knew Cozens was going to reach expectations, I'd rather have the Staal move. But obviously, there's no guarantee of that at all.

*Every new Sabres GM when they first take over the role in Buffalo* - "I think I'm going to move that Max Reinhart fellow in a shake-up, he seems pretty ok but I think we can afford to cut bait."

*Every new Sabres GM after they take a more in depth look at Reinhart* - "I am not going to trade Sam Reinhart". 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

if we someone lived in a world where we knew Cozens was going to reach expectations, I'd rather have the Staal move. But obviously, there's no guarantee of that at all.

There is never a guarantee, but it would be more shocking if he didn't. He is no Mitts. 

I don't really agree with the sentiments of putting Cozens on RW though. I personally think he should be 4C until he is ready to take over from Staal as 2C (3rd line should be a checking PK line).

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried a veteran line of Skinner-Staal-Okposo in training camp (if there is a training camp). It's all about how parts fit together after all isn't it?

Ya, I am definitely open to Cozens starting as an offensive matchups C. Like you said, it'll be about the pieces. 

For me, further additions could be a factor. If our next significant addition is a checking C, more likely Cozens starts on wing in the top 6. If we bring in some sort of no-bs top 6 winger, I could see it being more likely Cozens gets his sheltered centre role. 

The potential configurations just get easier and easier the more real players we bring in. Huh. 

Edited by Thorny

low 70s was the report, not necessarily exactly 70. I also have yet to hear a report about a budget that didn't originate from a Toronto media dipshit, so I'll fully believe when I see the opening night roster. 

I do expect Cozens, Ruotsalainen, Thompson, and Lazar to make the team though, and all cost < 1 mil.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Danault really isn't that good ....

Compared to Cirelli and Tierney?

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Also with a possible internal salary cap of 70 million.    Be prepared that our 8OA (Holtz / Rossi / lundell ) + Cozens + Ruotsolainen will all be in the line up.

Would be very surprised if the puck at 8 OA is in the lineup 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.