2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'm one of the few that like Simmons (now and the past). I believe he said he was playing through injuries this year. I think I read he is feeling good and wasn't opposed to returning. Don't see it though.

It's not unusual that players who have a rugged style of play have it take a physical toll on them. When they start the downslide it becomes evident. There is little chance that they can adequately regain what they lost. He's a player I would have loved to have on the roster a few years ago. Now I don't think he is worth keeping. This warhorse is battered and bruised. We need a fresher body to do what he has done in his career. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Phillip Danault who has one year left on his deal with Montreal is questioning his future with the team. 

He would be a great target as a 2C for next year 

He doesn't seem like a 2C, am I missing something? 27 year old LW with 41pts?

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He doesn't seem like a 2C, am I missing something? 27 year old LW with 41pts?

He played Center most of the season for Montreal. His fancy stats are quite good and his acquisition cost would be a lot lower than Monahan.  

His defensive metrics are better than Monahan’s.

Monahan’s Offensive Production is better as he plays First Line Minutes 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

From James Mirtle in the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/2022080/2020/08/25/mirtle-kyle-dubas-begins-leafs-off-season-with-clean-win-and-hes-not-done-yet/

"Frederik Andersen. The Leafs starting goaltender can apparently be had for a “useful” but low-cost asset in what would largely be a cap-clearing trade. Andersen could be a really intriguing option for a team without a lot of cash, as he has only $1 million in salary remaining due to a large signing bonus the Leafs have already paid. I wonder if the Oilers might be a fit given they want to overhaul their goaltending situation, although they’d have to find a way to make Andersen’s cap hit work."

He's a rental. One year, $5 million.

Interest?

(Kerfoot and Johnsson also being dangled for cap space(

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From James Mirtle in the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/2022080/2020/08/25/mirtle-kyle-dubas-begins-leafs-off-season-with-clean-win-and-hes-not-done-yet/

"Frederik Andersen. The Leafs starting goaltender can apparently be had for a “useful” but low-cost asset in what would largely be a cap-clearing trade. Andersen could be a really intriguing option for a team without a lot of cash, as he has only $1 million in salary remaining due to a large signing bonus the Leafs have already paid. I wonder if the Oilers might be a fit given they want to overhaul their goaltending situation, although they’d have to find a way to make Andersen’s cap hit work."

He's a rental. One year, $5 million.

Interest?

(Kerfoot and Johnsson also being dangled for cap space(

Sure I will take Kerfoot and Andersen and give them what? Montour (too much?) 

Here's an idea I came up with which actually got some Canadiens fans to bite

BUF Receives:

Danault, Phillip

2020 1st round pick (MTL) - 16th Overall

Additional Details:

Signs a 6x5.25mil extension.

MTL Receives:

Montour, Brandon [RFA Rights]

Thompson, Tage [RFA Rights]

2020 1st round pick (BUF) - 8th Overall

2021 2nd round pick (BUF)

The idea is to get a 2C/eventual 3C who is more defensive in nature to lessen Eichel's need to literally be out there 26 min a night. We move down in the 1st round but still have a mid-1st pick to help replenish our prospect pool.

My other primary targets would be Cirelli or Tierney as they all play a Selke-winning styled game and to go far in the playoffs, that is a must have.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/25/2020 at 6:14 PM, dudacek said:

Philip Danault is a matchup dream. One of the better defensive centres in the league and probably a better all-around player than Monahan.

Love to add that guy.

What do you think a deal with Montreal for Danault would look like? If as you indicate he plays a very strong defensive game it is a quality that Krueger would embrace in a player. 

49 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

BUF Receives:

Danault, Phillip

Additional Details:

MTL Receives:

The idea is to get a 2C/eventual 3C who is more defensive in nature to lessen Eichel's need to literally be out there 26 min a night. We move down in the 1st round but still have a mid-1st pick to help replenish our prospect pool.

My other primary targets would be Cirelli or Tierney as they all play a Selke-winning styled game and to go far in the playoffs, that is a must have.

Your deal seems a little hefty but I would take it. Maybe I would quarrel over the 2021 2nd round pick. 

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

BUF Receives:

Danault, Phillip

Additional Details:

MTL Receives:

Why not target Tierney or someone similar as well?  I could stand Eichel-Danault-Tierney as my top 9 spine.  You could plan on Cozens being in Rochester; if he forces himself on the roster, then so much the better.

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Why not target Tierney or someone similar as well?  I could stand Eichel-Danault-Tierney as my top 9 spine.  You could plan on Cozens being in Rochester; if he forces himself on the roster, then so much the better.

It’s NHL or Juniors for Cozens barring the WHL cancelling their season

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:
Edited by thewookie1

11 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

You cannot. He is ineligible to play anywhere but the WHL or the NHL. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.