2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

25 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

Reinhart is 1

2 is hopefully Mittelstadt, ehhhh if it’s 8 and bad if it’s cozens.

Montour, Reinhart, and Mitts (roughly 10mil in salary here)

for Killorn, Cirelli and Coburn (6ish mil here but Cirelli is going to cost more than 4)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Then I need a sweetner from Buffalo because I am underpaying. That was too easy. 

Probably. Although Montour is better than Coburn(at this point.) Killorn is way better than Mitts, and then you have Samson for Cirelli straight up. I'm way over simplifying this...yeah, you'd need a sweetner. One year of Coburn and I think 3 more of Killorn. Then they have to sign Sam and we have to sign Cirelli.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Problem is that this doesn't help Tampa. We'd be giving them 3 more RFAs 

Yah but Montour isn't get much if any of a raise above qualifying. Reinhart will get less than Cirelli or should. Mitts aint getting any raise either. 

If you can get Montour for 4mil, Reinhart for say 6.5 and Mitts for whatever 800k I think that more than offsets Cirelli (should get 7), Killorn is 4.4 I think, and Coburn is 1.7

Montour replaces Coburn

Reinhart replaces Killorn

Mitts gives you a potential center

I think in the end it saves them a few million (2-3) depending on those other deals. You are at around 11 for the 3 Sabres but you are at 13-15 for the 3 lightning depending on Cirelli. For the record I don't think this trade happens just more of a thought/idea.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Montour, Reinhart, and Mitts (roughly 10mil in salary here)

for Killorn, Cirelli and Coburn (6ish mil here but Cirelli is going to cost more than 4)

Tampa has no interest in anything other than picks and prospects and players on entry level deals.  Even so you may be forced to accept a cap dump in return.. They have no interest in Reinhart or Montour. You will need to replace those with Ryan Johnson and Cozens and #8

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yah but Montour isn't get much if any of a raise above qualifying. Reinhart will get less than Cirelli or should. Mitts aint getting any raise either. 

If you can get Montour for 4mil, Reinhart for say 6.5 and Mitts for whatever 800k I think that more than offsets Cirelli (should get 7), Killorn is 4.4 I think, and Coburn is 1.7

Montour replaces Coburn

I think in the end it saves them a few million (2-3) depending on those other deals. You are at around 11 for the 3 Sabres but you are at 13-15 for the 3 lightning depending on Cirelli. For the record I don't think this trade happens just more of a thought/idea.

This trade has no chance of happening.

It leaves Tampa with only 2 defencemen under contract and about $9 Million in cap space to sign Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Montour, Sergachev and Cernak, as well as replace UFAs Shattenkirk, Bogosian and Maroon. 

Edited by dudacek

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Montour replaces Coburn

Also, Cirelli is unlikely to get more than Reinhart, simply because of how the CBA works.

Cirelli is on his second contract, has no arbitration rights, and has four more years until he is eligible for UFA status. Sam is on his 3rd contract, has arbitration rights and is 2 years from UFA status. In other words, Reinhart has leverage that Cirelli does not.

Last year, Brayden Point was in the exact same situation as Cirelli and was also a top 10 scorer in the NHL.He signed a three-year bridge deal at $6.75. When Sam was in Cirelli’s position (with better offensive stats, but less defensive acclaim) he signed a two-year Bridge deal worth ~ $3.6.

if Cirelli signs a bridge deal - which Tampa definitely will want - it will probably be for something in between what Reinhart and Point got.

The Sabres will be wanting to protect their asset by signing Reinhart to term. If that happens, UFA years cost more, and therefore his AAV should be higher than Cirelli’s.

• Like (+1) 2

I really can't figure out how Tampa signs a team for next year. Cirelli alone takes up their cap. 

Maybe something like Mitts, 8 and idk random defender prospect for Cirelli and Killorn? I can't figure out fair value because Tampa's cap is a nightmare. 

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I really can't figure out how Tampa signs a team for next year. Cirelli alone takes up their cap. 

Maybe something like Mitts, 8 and idk random defender prospect for Cirelli and Killorn? I can't figure out fair value because Tampa's cap is a nightmare. 

I think Tampa’s preferred move would be trading Killorn and getting one of JohnSon/Gourde/Palat to waive their NTC and get back NHL players on their ELC; Ideally, they’d want to do something like Jokiharju and Mittlestadt for Palat and Killorn.

Dont know if they’re going to be able to do that with the flat cap. Building teams like the Sabres would be foolish to make that kind of trade, and win-now teams don’t have the cap space.

They might be forced to virtually give a middle six forward or two away. Its why I think they have to at least be exploring what returns are out there for Cirelli and Sergachev.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/11/2020 at 9:32 AM, sabresparaavida said:

I know the biggest players in the trade, unsure about the details as far as picks/prospects go. I would be very positive about the trade if it went through, and I believe most fans would like the trade.

Now rumors are coming from the Flames side?  Connect the dots? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

It was a team that was in the play in round, supposedly. I thought that was all we knew and then speculation went from there. 

-2C/T6W Combo

-One of the 24 teams who didn't fail at life

-A friendly hint Reinhart may be involved

That's what we've gotten.

Wouldn't really make sense to break much more until Adams actually has a confirmed deal done.

1 minute ago, Gabrielor said:

-2C/T6W Combo

-One of the 24 teams who didn't fail at life

-A friendly hint Reinhart may be involved

That's what we've gotten.

Wouldn't really make sense to break much more until Adams actually has a confirmed deal done.

I really don't like the idea of trading Sam.  We have no need for Gadreau, but I would love Monahan as our 2C.  I would trade Mitts, Montour and #8 for Monahan.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, freester said:

I really don't like the idea of trading Sam.  We have no need for Gadreau, but I would love Monahan as our 2C.  I would trade Mitts, Montour and #8 for Monahan.

I would hope you wouldn't have to give a number eight choice in the deal. That alone in my mind is too much.

17 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Thinking about some potential lines out of the roster that we have, with a couple of places for players to fill in. The goal here is to get scoring throughout the lineup, as well as keeping that first line ticking. 

Skinner-Eichel-Thompson (Ideally we bring in another Rw that can replace Thompson)

New top 6 forward (Granlund?)-Cozens-Reinhart (This only works if Cozens looks like he belongs in the NHL. This line should get decent minutes, but probably a little less than a typical 2nd line, and lets our now capable 3rd line out more. My source immediately after the signing mentioned Granlund as a possible target for the Sabres.)

Oloffson-Mojo-Kahun (This line had some success last year and could form a solid 3rd line. Some possible alternatives are Ruotsalainen , Thompson if we add a top6 rw, Mitts if he magically develops. What I like about this line is the potential for any player to play some 2nd line time. That actually looks like a good 3rd line, something we havent seen in a while. We still need a couple players to make it work, especially Cozens not looking lost. 

Asplund-Lazar-Okposo (A whatever 4th line, I'm sure we add a couple forwards which will change how this looks, likely one of asplund/Lazar will be a 13th forward)

Pairings:

Dahlin-Miller (seemed to gel somewhat)

McCabe-Jokiharju

xxx-Risto

Montour? (Kinda hoping they move Montour to get a forward, either part of a package for a 2C or a RW)

Mitts in rochester - for the most part i approve.  Only issue might be that... i think there's 2 PK forwards listed there in asplund and i guess lazar.  So it likely falls to cozens and...?  i'm not sure.  Our PK was really bad a year ago, and a lot of that is the D sure, but there wasn't exactly a strong group of forwards killing penalties either.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Monahan's production should see a positive regression next season. His PDO was 99.3 so we should see that edge back nearer or slightly above 100. 

99.3% has to be well within noise, and not considered unlucky. Bad Sabres teams hover around 96% sustainably haha. 

That would correspond to his plus-minus improving by ~3, which would at best give him 3 more points, but probably less when you consider some of that PDO improvement might come in goaltending 

Edited by Randall Flagg

3 hours ago, freester said:

Well, I think any chance of Monahan involves losing Sam...I'm not pumped about it either, but if this stuff is real, we're going to lose something we like.

I also have this unfortunate feeling that Gaudreau is getting tied into this maybe-speculation-deal as a mandatory component (meaning we can't just acquire Monahan solo), which of course means a higher price tag. 

Edited by Gabrielor
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.