2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

19 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Oh, and also, source: "I just have a good feeling about Adams"

So do you think the source's info is now potentially filtered through personal optimism? 

16 hours ago, Curt said:

I disagree with this narrative for Botterill.  He did not build a team with no diversity of skills.  He just built a team with a dearth of skills.  They just weren’t very good.

So much this. Botterill was on another level of bad and we should keep him there. 

13 hours ago, freester said:

Unfortunately I think the team is Toronto with Risto or Montour being traded for Kerfoot and Kapanen. Kerfoot is not really a 2C although he would be on the the Sabres. Toronto needs to shed salary and is desperate for RD. 

I'm on record as interested in this deal, I like the 2 players and it's one of the proposals where we'd give up the least. It's not my favourite scenario but it would represent our best off-season in years with a couple other tweaks. 

11 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I wouldn't give more than a 3rd for either player by themselves

I'd give a 2nd for Strome and call it a steal. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I would too. Especially when you factor in our our draft history & what we've used our 2nd rd picks on. Jury is still out on our 2nd rd choices under Jbott, but nothing really blows me away with them. Sure we all hope UPL will be the real deal or that Samuelsson's career is at least as good as his fathers. But in 10 years prior really only Jake McCabe has done anything with us. Sure we've used others in trades but i'll take Strome over Asplund or Marcus Davidsson or the many other players we got in the 2nd.

Sabres draft history in case anyone wants a good cry: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005054.html

31 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

I would too. Especially when you factor in our our draft history & what we've used our 2nd rd picks on. Jury is still out on our 2nd rd choices under Jbott, but nothing really blows me away with them. Sure we all hope UPL will be the real deal or that Samuelsson's career is at least as good as his fathers. But in 10 years prior really only Jake McCabe has done anything with us. Sure we've used others in trades but i'll take Strome over Asplund or Marcus Davidsson or the many other players we got in the 2nd.

Sabres draft history in case anyone wants a good cry: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005054.html

Had a good cry and some laffs.

I used to talk about Morris Titanic and would sometimes refer to his as Mercury Morris by mistake, lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Thorny said:

A second round pick has a historical 25% chance of playing 100+ NHL games.  If someone is calling a second round pick for a proven, youngish NHL player a steep price, they are over valuing 2nd round picks. It would be a steal.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

A second round pick has a historical 25% chance of playing 100+ NHL games.  If someone is calling a second round pick for a proven, youngish NHL player a steep price, they are over valuing 2nd round picks. It would be a steal.

I agree. I think dudacek had it right when he put his value at a mid first. Was just pointing out I'd give more than Flagg and I'd stlll consider it a bargain. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

It's both.  If you don't think having "old school nastiness" in some of your players is a benefit, then we will agree to disagree.

I think we agree, actually. Old school is back in the day of having enforcers but enforcers who brought nothing else to the game. It finally led to stated fights. On the other hand you have to have players who play hockey at the NHL level and be able to protect your star players. Players who don't cough up the puck to escape taking a hit. Goal scorers who take a hit to s ore a goal ect. Are we lacking that? Yes, but it's not topping the list of what we're lacking. Sorry taking so long.

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

A second round pick has a historical 25% chance of playing 100+ NHL games.  If someone is calling a second round pick for a mediocre NHL player who won't make the team any better compared to a plethora of other available options, and thus isn't worth expending effort to acquire, a steep price, they are right that we should look elsewhere 

I'd rather have our third available for an offersheet than what Vesey gave us last year

Strome would likely be your least favorite player we've had in a while 

Edited by Randall Flagg

A good placeholder 2C, a 2nd line/3rd line winger, and a goaltending upgrade is a must for 20-21.  Fail to accomplish this, and the Sabres are looking at another bottom 10 finish...the silver lining...Adams is so well liked by Kym that his job is safe no matter what crap he throws out on the ice.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'd rather have our third available for an offersheet than what Vesey gave us last year

If there was any hope for an offersheet I'd agree.  But we all know that isn't happening.  Given that, I'll take Vesey over a AAAA player.

Strome would have to fall below a whole hos tfo sub NHL players to reach least favorite status.

None of these comments are to be construed as me wanting the Sabres to pursue Strome.  Frankly, I've watched so little of the league in the last 7 years that I have no idea if he is someone we should be pursuing to improve teh team.  My comments were solely in regards to overvaluing our scratch off tickets.

A good placeholder 2C, a 2nd line/3rd line winger, and a goaltending upgrade is a must for 20-21.  Fail to accomplish this, and the Sabres are looking at another bottom 10 finish...the silver lining...Adams is so well liked by Kym that his job is safe no matter what crap he throws out on the ice.

Hes a first year GM... i think his jobs safe.  

I’m more worried about Eichel wanting out at that point 

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Weave said:

If there was any hope for an offersheet I'd agree.  But we all know that isn't happening.  Given that, I'll take Vesey over a AAAA player.

Strome would have to fall below a whole hos tfo sub NHL players to reach least favorite status.

None of these comments are to be construed as me wanting the Sabres to pursue Strome.  Frankly, I've watched so little of the league in the last 7 years that I have no idea if he is someone we should be pursuing to improve teh team.  My comments were solely in regards to overvaluing our scratch off tickets.

Hes pretty bad and would lead to another season like 18-19 because we'd operate under the assumption that we've fixed our biggest problem when that's not true

Keep picks to help in genuinely good trades later in the summer (like we did skinner) rather than pretending you did something good earlier 

Edited by Randall Flagg

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Is the implication that Strome = Jimmy? 

He must be an absolute gong show defensively and entirely a product of his linemstes offensively if you wouldn't pay a third round pick for a player who's outproduced Reinhart per game the last two seasons combined. 

His per game numbers would rank above anyone on our team sans Eichel. By all means make more impactful moves but a 2nd/3rd for a 23-year old Strome is one you make if it's available (it wouldn't be).

Edited by Thorny

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He must be an absolute gong show defensively and entirely a product of his linemstes offensively if you wouldn't pay a third round pick for a player who's outproduced Reinhart per game the last two seasons combined. 

Sometimes you just don't like a player.

The best analogy I can think of is what you think of Risto, even discounting his analytics.

Risto looks the part on paper: he's big, he's aggressive, he's a strong skater, he works his tail off on both ends of the ice, he can play the PP and kill penalties, he puts up 40 points regularly, he wants to be a difference maker; he ticks all the boxes for a prototype defenceman. But when push comes to shove, he just can't carry the mail in a matchup role and you are looking to upgrade. (In Risto's case, the issue is IQ)

Strome is big, with silky smooth hands. He sees holes and delivers the puck to them with the right touch, he's got the size and wingspan to protect the puck, he puts up 50 points with ease, he can connect with elite players because he processes the game at their level; he has the tools of a top-six centre. But he can't carry the mail in a matchup role and you will be looking to upgrade. (In Strome's case, the issue is compete)

Play him with Pat Kane and he will put up points, but the line probably loses most of its matchups. Play him with Skinner and Mojo and we probably get caved.

He's a luxury.

Edited by dudacek

Not really - I don't like Risto all that much and yet I'm not low-balling his value close to that extent. I'm not giving him away for a pick. 

My reading was a rough equation of Vesey to Strome and that would be like using Risto and Hunwick or something. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Not really - I don't like Risto all that much and yet I'm not low-balling his value close to that extent. I'm not giving him away for a pick. 

But if he was on another team, would you be trading a 2nd to solve a problem on your top four?

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But if he was on another team, would you be trading a 2nd to solve a problem on your top four?

Hell yes 

I've maintained that Risto is a second pair D man. It's doubt that we'll EVER play him in that role that feeds the angst. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Hell yes 

Fair enough. I misjudged your valuation of him.

I'd give up a 2nd for Strome before going into the season without a 2C, because I think he's an upgrade, but I don't think he's the solution.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Picks are overvalued anyways and we need current players. My issue with the way Botterill ran through picks is moreso the players he targeted..

A 3rd for Jimmy was and always will be balls. Especially within the context of the LACK of other moves made. 

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'd give up a 2nd for Strome before going into the season without a 2C, because I think he's an upgrade, but I don't think he's the solution.

Well, hopefully Cozens is the Prince who was Promised, and takes over 2C in 2021-22.

If Strome can be had for a cheapo price in trade and then a bridge contract (he is RFA after this season), I'd be pretty happy to plug him in as 2C for next season, drop him to 3C the following year, and then decide whether he's worth a long-term deal.

It seems fairly likely that Strome will be in more or less the top 3 centers that change teams this offseason.  If the Sabres can get someone better?  By all means, I hope they do so.  But if not, I'd much rather they pick up Strome under the parameters described above than take the JB "hope for the best" approach and waste another year of Eichel's prime.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.