2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, freester said:

Unfortunately I think the team is Toronto with Risto or Montour being traded for Kerfoot and Kapanen. Kerfoot is not really a 2C although he would be on the the Sabres. Toronto needs to shed salary and is desperate for RD. 

That would be a horrid trade for us seeing as Kerfoot isn't a 2C.

1 hour ago, freester said:

Most unbiased observers feel that is equal value although I would rather give up Montour than Risto, but I feel Toronto wants Ristos physicality. 

Even if it was the fairest trade imaginable I’d rather not aid the Leafs to get my hands on an average 3C and Mid-6 winger

Just now, Brawndo said:

Rasmus Dahlin in an interview this AM mentioned how he has added 12 pounds during the off-season and is not listed at 205 compared to 193 last year. 

The best thing that may have ever happened was Dahlin was excluded from the playoffs and given 7 months off to workout and prepare for next year. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Gabrielor said:

I'm not about to compliment Housley, but I think Dahlin had a lot more freedom to operate under him...and Krueger needs to allow that...

Short-term pain for long-term gain.

Krueger did it the right way: demand he focus first on the things he needs to improve in order to make him a complete defenceman.

We want him to become Lidstrom, not Housley.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I look forward to seeing how that translates into his game, and how it affects his physicality.

Most players don’t change in this regard.  Either they play with a physical edge to their game, or they don’t.  People hope now that Tage put on some muscle that he will be more physical and nastier...chances are that it is not going to happen. 

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Most players don’t change in this regard.  Either they play with a physical edge to their game, or they don’t.  People hope now that Tage put on some muscle that he will be more physical and nastier...chances are that it is not going to happen. 

Depends on your definition of physicality.  Will Dahlin become a hulking, terrifying open ice headhunter?  No.  But maybe he can get stronger in the corners, in front of the net, and fight through checks better.

39 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The best thing that may have ever happened was Dahlin was excluded from the playoffs and given 7 months off to workout and prepare for next year. 

Not long ago Dahlin was on a video talking about his workout regime and what he was doing to prepare for next season. Even in this short period after the season was cut short it was noticeable that he had gotten bigger. I tried to find it but couldn't retrieve it. But without question he will be a bigger and stronger version of himself. 

If you watch Dahlin is physical in his own end when retrieving pucks. I think there is a fiestiness to him. That said, I fully agree you can't teach aggression and Tage isn't going to suddenly start being a physical force... Cozens on the other hand will try and run you over. 

Just now, JohnC said:

Not long ago Dahlin was on a video talking about his workout regime and what he was doing to prepare for next season. Even in this short period after the season was cut short it was noticeable that he had gotten bigger. I tried to find it but couldn't retrieve it. But without question he will be a bigger and stronger version of himself. 

I think missing a 24 team playoff format and going home as a "loser" is good for the Dahlin's of the world. It drives them when they fail. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Short-term pain for long-term gain.

Krueger did it the right way: demand he focus first on the things he needs to improve in order to make him a complete defenceman.

We want him to become Lidstrom, not Housley.

Yes...in theory.

I saw a lot of Dahlin skating the puck up to our blue line last year, and instead of continuing, he'd hesitate, or stop, in the effort of looking for a pass. I want him to skate if that's the only option, and coverage to adjust. That isn't universal for the other dmen, but I want Dahlin to have that freedom, for sure.

Edited by Gabrielor

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If you watch Dahlin is physical in his own end when retrieving pucks. I think there is a fiestiness to him. That said, I fully agree you can't teach aggression and Tage isn't going to suddenly start being a physical force... Cozens on the other hand will try and run you over. 

I think missing a 24 team playoff format and going home as a "loser" is good for the Dahlin's of the world. It drives them when they fail. 

What is sometimes lost after watching Dahlin make some dazzling plays is his fierceness. (As you point out.) When he is roughed up he doesn't shrink from the combat. He engages with the source of the obstruction. He has the same ferocious competitiveness that Jack has but it isn't as apparent on ice because he is such a smooth and stylish player. 

Both Jack and Dahlin are not only our two best players but also our most competitive players although with different personalities. They both find losing unacceptable and painful. My fear is that if this less than tolerable success rate continues it will affect how both of these elite players view the franchise. This offseason it is imperative that the front office be bold and creative to upgrade the roster and make this a more contending team. Especially with Jack you can see the frustration building. The future is now!

I don't see Tage as ever being a physical force. That's not his game and makeup. Although he can be with more physical development more physical on the ice his game is more finesse revolving around his skating and shooting. I also see this as a critical offseason for Mitts. He needs to work on his body!

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

It's not about being nasty, it's about winning battles — getting and protecting the puck.

Tage and Rasmus needed to improve in that area and I suspect they have.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's not about being nasty, it's about winning battles — getting and protecting the puck.

Tage and Rasmus needed to improve in that area and I suspect they have.

Many fans don't say it but they want old school nastiness and fight they just don't say it. Winnie g battles and puck possession is not in the back of their minds.

56 minutes ago, Radar said:

Many fans don't say it but they want old school nastiness and fight they just don't say it. Winnie g battles and puck possession is not in the back of their minds.

It's both.  If you don't think having "old school nastiness" in some of your players is a benefit, then we will agree to disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

A handful of random things I picked up from talking with my source:

Kevyn Adams is very analytically based, looks at the numbers more than Tim Murray's eye test.

There is a reasonable chance of Girgs and/or Larsson being back

KA is more focused on building a team that works together we'll than Jbotts was. Jbotts was focused more on bringing in the best pieces he could, instead of trying to fit pieces together. (Sited having a surplus of D, but no D chemistry)

KA comes across as smarter than Jbotts

There is a decent chance we see Skinner with Jack this year. Not 100% going to happen, but there is a good chance it will.

Botterill's idea of the best pieces he could bring in is pretty funny. I see the point re: the D, but we didn't do very much talent addition straight up in the forward ranks, either. 

My concern would still be the addition of top 6 talent before looking primarily at fit, but perhaps KA is incorporating both. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.