Cirelli + Killorn
Cirelli + Palat
Cirelli + Johnson
Cirelli + Gourde 
Likely constitutes all possible Cirelli iterations with a "top six wing"

Monahan/Lindholm + Tkachuk?
Monahan/Lindholm + Gaudreau?
Monahan + Lindholm?

Unless you count Mangiapane or Lucic as a top 6 wing, if this potential deal is with Calgary, it's probably going to be massive.

Strome + Kane
Strome + Saad
Strome + DeBrincat
Strome + Kubalik

are the likely possibilities that the source's info would allow from Chicago. Some are less exciting. 

Liger mentioned Frost, but Philly doesn't make sense as a team that fits the mold of potentially wanting to or needing to make a big move if they don't go far in the playoffs, the way Calgary (rumors of them wanting to blow up the core) and Tampa (money) do. Even Chicago doesn't really make sense.

What other centers have we talked about that are still playing?

Stepan + Kessel
Stepan + Keller
Stepan + Garland (22 goals)
Stepan + Dvorak (nice player...center?)
Stepan + Hall? (UFA though)

This doesn't really fit what we were given about the team hemming and hawing based on playoff results either, quite frankly. 

No way Vancouver moves a center.

Staal + Parise or Staal + Fiala? They love Fiala. I don't think this can be it either. 

The Jets don't have a 2C to give us. 

I really would guess it's Tampa or Calgary given what we have in this thread, and I think we need to pray to the hockey gods each night that this thing plays out 

I wonder if Tampa Bay would be interested in the 8th Overall more so they could grab that Dman prospect ranked about there? After all they are in a bit of a predicament with the expansion draft with 3 D already to protect in Hedman, Sergachev, and Cernak I'd assume.

Jokiharju would need to be protected which would mean he or Cernak would likely be left exposed.

Just a thought 

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Saad and Strome is one I hadn’t given too much thought to that very much fits what Buffalo needs and Chicago wants to do.

The price shouldn’t be that high for that combo. I wonder what the Hawks think of CaseyMittelstadt?

Saad is $6M and UFA at end of '20-'21 season. Strome is RFA when done this season and will likely get a decent raise (maybe bridge). 

I can't see Calgary trading Tkachuk, Lindholm or Gaudreau... suppose anythings possible but those are 3 players I can't see them wanting to move on from. I wouldn't move them, not for what we'd be willing to send their way, unless they really value our 1st rd pick in a deal.

Vancouver makes some sense. I'd love to have Horvat but i cant imagine the Nucks would move him, as he's sorta like their Eichel & on a good contract still. But Boeser, Virtanen, Gaudette seem like attainable pieces. I also remember their GM Benning wanting Reinhart in the past, and that area is where Sam is from. The Nucks also need some defensive help. So maybe Risto & Reinhart for some combo in return?

Chicago also seems plausible. Strome & Saad could be possible targets for us. What they'd be interested in return i have no idea. Strome is up for a new contract & will be getting a substantial raise from where he's at now. Still gotta figure his salary will be less than what Reinhart will get on his new deal. If thats part of the trade, Chicago ends up paying Reinhart but knows who theyre getting in him & we pay Strome & take more of a chance we get the numbers right. Maybe that is attractive to both teams for different reasons.

I hope the names we're mentioning are the targets we're looking at & not a bunch of middle 6 tweeners we're hoping can be 2nd line players.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/3/2020 at 4:14 PM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I would argue that the only reason that Murray's surrendering of picks in the ROR and Kane trades may not seem egregious is because the over-over-payments were asinine to begin with, were ill-timed in addition, and smacked of trying to make Bylsma look good because of the Mike Babcock spurning.  But at least I understood why he targetted whom he did and what direction he had.

I got no such feeling of direction from Botterill.  His appear worse than they might otherwise seem because they seemed aimless and did not help at all.  And he had the gift of the Skinner trade to help out his numbers.

The reason giving up the pics wasn't egregious is because giving up picks for top level players like ROR is a good strategy. 

Botterill not only gave up more in quantity, regardless of Murray's draft pick out-the-door being a slightly higher average quality that Botterill's, Botterill's return was substantially worse.  

The myth that we overpayed for ROR needs to die. Grigorenko, Zadorov, Compher, and a 2nd for an elite, young, two-way centre, is a great deal (timing, arguably, aside), nevermind an "asinine, over-over payment". 

Edited by Thorny

50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Saad and Strome is one I hadn’t given too much thought to that very much fits what Buffalo needs and Chicago wants to do.

The price shouldn’t be that high for that combo. I wonder what the Hawks think of CaseyMittelstadt?

They may be reasonably happy with what they've seen/heard from Nylander..

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I can see Strome as the Sabres’ target and I can see Chicago being interested in trading him, but Saad seems too expensive, too short-term and he’s a LW.  

He’s listed as a guy who plays both sides and he adds size, discipline, willingness to play in traffic and Stanley Cup experience to the top six: in short he is the answer to what the captain was asking for.

He would be a Skinner-like acquisition: a veteran you test drive for the season to see if there is a fit worth re-signing, and flip at the deadline if there’s not. From Chicago’s perspective he’s strictly a cap dump, and because he makes $6 million, the market will be very limited prior to the trade deadline. Hawks need to clear space for Kubalik and a new starting goalie.

The price for Saad isn’t going to be much if he’s traded this off-season.

I don’t think they need to trade both Strome and Saad, but that does set them up nicely to bring in some upgrades. They need goalies and RHD and cheap complementary forwards.

I:’m not suggesting we dangle him, but since you brought up his name earlier, this is a team the would look at Ullmark.

Edited by dudacek

11 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Cirelli + Killorn
Cirelli + Palat
Cirelli + Johnson
Cirelli + Gourde 
Likely constitutes all possible Cirelli iterations with a "top six wing"

Monahan/Lindholm + Tkachuk?
Monahan/Lindholm + Gaudreau?
Monahan + Lindholm?

Unless you count Mangiapane or Lucic as a top 6 wing, if this potential deal is with Calgary, it's probably going to be massive.

Strome + Kane
Strome + Saad
Strome + DeBrincat
Strome + Kubalik

are the likely possibilities that the source's info would allow from Chicago. Some are less exciting. 

Liger mentioned Frost, but Philly doesn't make sense as a team that fits the mold of potentially wanting to or needing to make a big move if they don't go far in the playoffs, the way Calgary (rumors of them wanting to blow up the core) and Tampa (money) do. Even Chicago doesn't really make sense.

What other centers have we talked about that are still playing?

Stepan + Kessel
Stepan + Keller
Stepan + Garland (22 goals)
Stepan + Dvorak (nice player...center?)
Stepan + Hall? (UFA though)

This doesn't really fit what we were given about the team hemming and hawing based on playoff results either, quite frankly. 

No way Vancouver moves a center.

Staal + Parise or Staal + Fiala? They love Fiala. I don't think this can be it either. 

The Jets don't have a 2C to give us. 

I really would guess it's Tampa or Calgary given what we have in this thread, and I think we need to pray to the hockey gods each night that this thing plays out 

This is a solid breakdown, and basically what I came to post.

CGY Monahan / Lindholm Lindholm / Gaudreau
TBL Cirelli Killorn
CHI Strome DeBrincat / Kane / Saad
ARI Dvorak / Stephan Schmaltz / Kessel
VAN Horvat Boeser
WPG Copp / Roslovic Ehlers
MTL Domi / Danault Gallagher / Drouin / Tatar

That's the only combinations I could think of that fit the description, while also having any kind of plausibility. 100% agree on Vancouver, I don't see a Horvat trade.

I'm left praying that it's Tampa, content if it's Calgary, and the rest would depend on what we gave up.

Incidentally, the Cirelli deal I've liked from the start mirrors the Jordan Staal deal 8 years ago.

8th pick, Mittelstadt, Pilut for Cirelli, Coburn

They get big low-cost assets, we fill the 2C hole with basically the best solution this offseason offers.

Edited by Gabrielor
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

According to my source, the sabres are in discussions that would bring in a second line center, as well as a top 6 winter from a team that is currently playing. The center is a player the board has talked about before. The sabres main blocks are tentatively agreed upon, but they may have to add significantly depending on playoff performance.

I gotta ask...

Would this involve the 8th pick? (Because if the answers no, based on your words, drafting Jake Sanderson suddenly get 100% more appealing).

16 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

At this point in time I don't know, it likely will depend significantly on playoff performance.

Fair enough, thanks.

Will Sabres fans be happy with this(these) possible trade target(s)? (Ville Leino was once sold as a 2C haha)

Edited by Gabrielor

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

The Hawks make so much sense. Will be an interesting couple weeks around here. 

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Hawks make so much sense. Will be an interesting couple weeks around here. 

I'd consider the best case scenarios are Cirelli or Monahan. (I'm going to leave Horvat off. There's no way.)

Cirelli is a style fit, plus brings what the team needs x 1000. (In all cases, you're still looking for a defensive 3C too (I like Chris Tierney or Andrew Copp trades for that))

Monahan would boost Skinner on a 2nd line into a respectable force, but then I think it'll force a bigger burden on that 3C line tbd.

Strome is a much bigger gamble. I guess you hope Reinhart wasn't in the deal, and Saad is. Olofsson-Eichel-Saad Skinner-Strome-Reinhart looks fine to me.

Edited by Gabrielor

51 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

At this point in time I don't know, it likely will depend significantly on playoff performance.

The question that comes to mind is, what players value may depend heavily on playoff performance?  Which players have something to prove?

To me, that’s Strome and Monahan, both players who had kind of down years compared to previous seasons and need to show that they can get back to that level.  Cirelli has been on a steady upward trajectory and I don’t think his value is so tied to near term performance.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

The question that comes to mind is, what players value may depend heavily on playoff performance?  Which players have something to prove?

To me, that’s Strome and Monahan, both players who had kind of down years compared to previous seasons and need to show that they can get back to that level.  Cirelli has been on a steady upward trajectory and I don’t think his value is so tied to near term performance.

Calgary. Do they blow up the core cause they can't get it done, or does this group make a run in the playoffs.

So, everyone, route for Calgary to lose

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gabrielor said:

According to my source, the sabres are in discussions that would bring in a second line center, as well as a top 6 winter from a team that is currently playing. The center is a player the board has talked about before. The sabres main blocks are tentatively agreed upon, but they may have to add significantly depending on playoff performance.

If this is legit then I think people are missing the significance of the last sentence.  “Add significantly depending on playoff performance” to me rules out vets such as Stephan or Monahan.  It would lend credence to a younger player still developing their value.  Someone like a Cirelli or a Strome.

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Calgary. Do they blow up the core cause they can't get it done, or does this group make a run in the playoffs.

I, too, think they're the logical conclusion.

The question, of course, is whether the Bruke-era folks who refused Ristolainen are still around...

Edited by Gabrielor

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I think they are a good trade partner but I am unsure of what they would be trading for. Obviously a defender but then what else?

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think they are a good trade partner but I am unsure of what they would be trading for. Obviously a defender but then what else?

That's the rub. I would guess they want to go younger, so Strome is probably on the list

Calgary needs RHD. Montour is obvious to me.

They would also need to replace the players going out because they aren’t doing it internally. 
If it’s a hockey trade, Reinhart is likely headed the other way. If the intent is free space, then quality futures.

And don’t sleep on a goaltender.

I keep tripping over the “top six winger” part of the deal. They aren’t trading Tkachuk and they need Lindholm to move into Monahan’s role because they don’t have depth at centre and they aren’t signing a replacement for him in UFA. Mangiapane is young and cheap, but isn’t really a top six.

That leaves Gaudreau, which (even with his bad year and contract status) is expensive.

Which is why I keep coming back to Cirelli and Killorn.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.