2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

Wasnt it @sabresparaavida who had the Botterill firing the day before? In similarly vague terms?

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

I can't put my finger on it but this whole rhetoric rubs me the wrong way.  

a 2C and a top six winger won’t be cheap, unless it’s cap-related, like my frequently pitched Killorn/Cirelli for futures.

If its a hockey trade, don’t be surprised if it’s Reinhart/Montour going the other way.

And there is no reason for any deal to happen for at least another 6 weeks, so no breath holding here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Wasnt it @sabresparaavida who had the Botterill firing the day before? In similarly vague terms?

a 2C and a top six winger won’t be cheap, unless it’s cap-related, like my frequently pitched Killorn/Cirelli for futures.

If its a hockey trade, don’t be surprised if it’s Reinhart/Montour going the other way.

And there is no reason for any deal to happen for at least another 6 weeks, so no breath holding here.

Personally I'm already counting down the days haha

14 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

According to my source, the sabres are in discussions that would bring in a second line center, as well as a top 6 winter from a team that is currently playing. The center is a player the board has talked about before. The sabres main blocks are tentatively agreed upon, but they may have to add significantly depending on playoff performance.

I'm sure your source is credible regarding the pursuit of a 2C. So I have no intention of dismissing your inside knowledge. But targeting certain centers especially on capped strapped teams isn't a revelation. And it isn't surprising that in the pursuit of a center the Sabres have preferences. But in all potential trades the issue isn't only who you want but what you are willing to give up. Would the Sabres be willing to accept their second preferred center over their first preferred player if the cost were significantly less?  Of course they would. Overly stripping a thin team for an addition might solve a problem at the expense of creating another problem. 

There should be no surprise that there have been, are now, and continue to be talks with numerous teams about players. Organizations are constantly talking amongst themselves. It's standard practice for all organizations to have these exploratory discussions. Leaning towards or locking onto a deal now doesn't seem like a smart way especially when the playoffs are over the trade options will increase. (Not saying that is what you are suggesting.)

Because of the Sabres favorable cap situation they are in a good situation to make roster boosting deals. This is going to be an exciting offseason with a lot of speculative trades being mentioned. I'm hoping that this new front office will make the right personnel decisions that will get this team in a better position to seriously compete.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm sure your source is credible regarding the pursuit of a 2C. So I have no intention of dismissing your inside knowledge. But targeting certain centers especially on capped strapped teams isn't a revelation. And it isn't surprising that in the pursuit of a center the Sabres have preferences. But in all potential trades the issue isn't only who you want but what you are willing to give up. Would the Sabres be willing to accept their second preferred center over their first preferred player if the cost were significantly less?  Of course they would. Overly stripping a thin team for an addition might solve a problem at the expense of creating another problem. 

There should be no surprise that there have been, are now, and continue to be talks with numerous teams about players. Organizations are constantly talking amongst themselves. It's standard practice for all organizations to have these exploratory discussions. Leaning towards or locking onto a deal now doesn't seem like a smart way especially when the playoffs are over the trade options will increase. (Not saying that is what you are suggesting.)

Because of the Sabres favorable cap situation they are in a good situation to make roster boosting deals. This is going to be an exciting offseason with a lot of speculative trades being mentioned. I'm hoping that this new front office will make the right personnel decisions that will get this team in a better position to seriously compete.

I thought the whole "the Sabres have cap room" talking point was rebuked.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, inkman said:

It has not. I believe they have the 3rd most cap room in the league.

The “rebuke” was based on the fact they have a lot of RFAs, and the false premise they will eat up all that space overpaying to re-sign them.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, inkman said:

It hasn't been rebuked. We are in a good position to make our cap situation even better this offseason than many cap stressed teams are. In addition, if you bring in a player that doesn't mean that another player isn't exiting. A little finagling can go far if you are smart about it. 

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

Rebuked how?  Sabres have some cap room, maybe quite a bit depending on who is signed, and who walks/is traded.  It’s not going to be enough to go on some outrageous spending spree, but it will be more than 90% of the NHL teams have.

Edited by Curt

14 minutes ago, Curt said:

Rebuked how?  Sabres have some cap room, maybe quite a bit depending on who is signed, and who walks/is traded.  It’s not going to be enough to go on some outrageous spending spree, but it will be more than 90% of the NHL teams have.

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It hasn't been rebuked. We are in a good position to make our cap situation even better this offseason than many cap stressed teams are. In addition, if you bring in a player that doesn't mean that another player isn't exiting. A little finagling can go far if you are smart about it. 

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It has not. I believe they have the 3rd most cap room in the league.

The “rebuke” was based on the fact they have a lot of RFAs, and the false premise they will eat up all that space overpaying to re-sign them.

I'm guessing Reinhart plus any combination of Larsson, Montour, Girgs and whatever other RFA they might want to keep will eat up 12-15  mill of that space.  Add on a second line center at $8 mill, that $20 mill gonzo.  

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

I'm guessing Reinhart plus any combination of Larsson, Montour, Girgs and whatever other RFA they might want to keep will eat up 12-15  mill of that space.  Add on a second line center at $8 mill, that $20 mill gonzo.  

Not if you add a 2nd line center for 5mil

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Your prices are highly inflated. My sense is that Reinhart will be re-signed and that either Montour or Risto will be dealt in a deal. Larsson could be retained but if so it will be at a cost effective contract. Lazur is likely to be his replacement if his price is too high. Unless a player like Cirelli is brought in I don't see the second line center commanding an $8 m contract. I still hold to my position that with some smart player and contract action the organization is in a very favorable cap situation compared to most teams. 

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm surprised on the order of those Flames

I dont think, per say, that Lindholm is a better center than Monahan. I think he brings stuff to the table we might need a little more than Monahan's skill set. But either way I would sing and dance 

What other options might there be?

Staal, Horvat (no way), Domi/Danault, Stepan

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I dont think, per say, that Lindholm is a better center than Monahan. I think he brings stuff to the table we might need a little more than Monahan's skill set. But either way I would sing and dance 

What other options might there be?

Staal, Horvat (no way), Domi/Danault, Stepan

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sure, maybe, but if you have the cap space to add an $8M 2C, then you have cap space, no?

Edited by Curt

32 minutes ago, Curt said:

If you factor in our first round pick I don't think it is out of the realm of reality that the Sabres can add a second line center and winger to next year's roster. As you point out you have to also have to consider who we are going to keep and dispatch in order to re-distribute the contracts. But it is doable. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I can't put my finger on it but this whole rhetoric rubs me the wrong way.  

Jeez.  Can't we just enjoy something for a minute?

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It was indeed @sabresparaavidawho had the JB firing.

As for the timing of a deal:  if it's a team that loses the play-in round, couldn't it happen this week? 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, inkman said:

The point is they have considerably more space than the vast majority of the the league and the flexibility to remake the roster as they see fit. They can use as much or as little as they want on their own free agents.

They have about $34 million, or about $2.9 million per open roster spot. Most teams have an average $1.9 million to spend per roster spot and less than $20 million in actual space. 

Many teams will have to dump players to fit under the cap.Few teams are in a position to accept those players.

Its a buyers’ market and the Sabres are one of just a handful of teams in a position to buy.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Jeez.  Can't we just enjoy something for a minute?

It was indeed @sabresparaavidawho had the JB firing.

As for the timing of a deal:  if it's a team that loses the play-in round, couldn't it happen this week? 

Sure, but why? There’s no incentive to make a move now.

Why wouldn’t each side hold off a bit to see what else shakes lose?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.