2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

What should they do with Hutton?   

He has 1 year remaining at 2.75m. 

I can't see how you bring him back?   Maybe go the Bogo route... waive, re-assign, suspended, terminate?

Or maybe St. Louis would take him back?   Hutton for Jake Allen maybe?   That would give St. Louis a bit of cap relief as Allen makes +4m/yr, as a backup is kinda steep, they might bite at Hutton straight up for Allen.... although is Allen even much of an upgrade over Hutton? 

Have we stumbled on another potential solid line?  The Euro line of MoJo, VO and Kahun seems to have some instant chemistry and is creating offense.  If that lines produces for rest of the season, would that change how we approach the off-season? Would it depend on whether prospects like Cozens or Mitts prove ready?

For example

F1 Jeff, Jack, Sam
F2/3 VO MoJo Kahun

F2/3 ????

F4 Girgensons Larsson KO

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Have we stumbled on another potential solid line?  The Euro line of MoJo, VO and Kahun seems to have some instant chemistry and is creating offense.  If that lines produces for rest of the season, would that change how we approach the off-season? Would it depend on whether prospects like Cozens or Mitts prove ready?

For example

F1 Jeff, Jack, Sam
F2/3 VO MoJo Kahun

F2/3 ????

F4 Girgensons Larsson KO

Regardless of who is on your F3 line, if your penciling in MoJo or Kahun on your second line, we are not going to the playoffs for a 10th year.  Especially with the current options you offered in net.   MoJo needs to be on the third line with a hopefully mature and more polished Cozens.  When the Sabres win the lottery, I can see a path for the new GM packaging MoJo in a trade as we would have a surplus at LW.  

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And people need to stop pencilling in Larry and Zemgus on the 4th line.

They get to choose who they play for. If you were them, would you come back?

I think the bottom six should look something like this:

MoJo-Cozens-Kahun

Lazar-Asplund-Okposo

its up to whomever the gm is to fill 2C and 2RW. It’ll be the difference between playoffs and frustration once again. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/10/2020 at 7:47 PM, Andrew Amerk said:

I’m with Weave regarding Mitts. 

Have you actually seen him play with the Amerks, or are you just basing your thoughts on some stats?

Mitts isn’t even in the same stratosphere as Jack and Rasmus. 

Based on what I’ve seen in Rochester, it would be wise to move on from Mitts if the right deal comes along. Sure, he’s doing okay in the A stat-wise, but I’m not seeing an impactful NHL future for him at this point. 

thanks,  hope people didnt write you off at 21?

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I thought I had started this thread to soon.  Guess not.

The worst part is that Pegula’s last memory of the season was a great win over Washington.  I hope it doesn’t cloud their judgement with regards to firing Botteril. 

Who will be back and who do you want back?  https://buffalonews.com/2020/03/14/buffalo-sabres-carter-hutton-wayne-simmonds-jason-botterill-ralph-krueger-nhl-news-2020/

1) JBot - I know most here don’t want him back, but the truth is given the way this season ended and for the reasons outlined in the News article about causing complete upheaval of the organization again, I think the odds of Jbot returning for another season are about 75%.  

2) HC Ralph Kruger - I must admit I’m not sold. I think his unwillingness to move Reinhart off Jack’s line to try to get Skinner going or re-try Skinner on Jack’s line, I think hurt the team. Still the team has never quit, especially after the swoon in December and again on he last West cost trip and that has to do with RK’s leadership.  Returning? 75%.  His return likely hinges on Jbot’s return.  

3) Guaranteed to return - Jack, Skinner, Dahlin and Jokiharju.  All under contract and all part of the core, despite Skinner’s poor season. 100% returning.

4) Guys under contract who I can see being moved in the right circumstances.

a) Okposo - 90% - I doubt his contract is tradeable unless we make a deal for another bad contract.  His solid play on the GLO line has enhanced his value to the team as a leader and made the trade even less likely.

b) MoJo - 90% - One year left on his deal and his effort hasn’t been a question.  Has played decent hockey most of they year out of position.  The new Euro line seemed to find something with Kahun.  To bad the season got cut short to give the line a real tryout.  Depending on the other moves made, I can see a small possibility he is traded to help get a deal done to upgrade the 2nd line.

c) Hutton - 50% - I know people don’t want to hear this, but who is taking his deal off our hands given his inconsistent performance.  Jbot or his replacement should demote him to the AHL, but that doesn’t work if they want UPL and Johansson in a Rochester next year.  Also Jbot hates buyouts, but this might be the best option here. If he returns the fan base won’t be happy, but it’s a distinct possibility but in a reduced role. 

d) McCabe - One year left on his deal and his play has improved under RK and his staff.  He is also a solid asset that could be moved to a enhance the forwards. Still odds of moving a solid LHD given our limited supply, unlikely.   85% returning.

e) Miller - 2 years left and RHD and this could be traded in the right deal, but improved over the course of the season.  Probably the least likely of the 3 RHD to be moved. 85% returning

f) Ristolainen - 2 years left and seems to be much improved under RK. Our most physical D, who does a little bit of everything and does can consistent offense.  Maybe our best asset to get a 2C, but hard to part with when you think the best is yet to come.  65% returning just because of trade value.

5) The RFAs

a) Olofsson - 100% returning.  Only size the deal is the question.

b) Kahun - 100% returning.  Jbot didn’t acquire him to move him.  He also looked pretty good since we acquired him.

c) Reinhart - 95% returning. We are already short handed at RW, but could he be the big piece moved to change the team and get us a top end 2C? The better question is how big his contract will be.

d) Lazar - 100% returning.  Cheap the keep and really has done a solid job since being recalled.  Needs to give more offense to be more then a fill in player but could become our ace Pker.

e) Montour - 50% returning - Seems like the most likely candidate to be traded to try to enhance the forward group because of our depth at RHD and his UFA status.  Still if Risto is traded, signing him becomes a priority. Had an off-season playing as an LD which likely reduced his trade value enhancing the odds Risto gets traded instead, but also reduced his cost to retain or sign if traded.

f) Pilut - 85% returning.  LHD will have a full time role with the team once one of Montour, Miller or Risto is traded. Still his numbers haven’t been great when he played this year.  Could new management go in a different direction for the 3rd pairing LD.

g) Ullmark - 90%. Needs to be re-signed or traded.  Earned no.1 job and should be re-signed.  He earned a long-term commitment from the Sabres. However, a new GM might want to completely redo the goalies.

h & I) Thompson and Mittelstadt  - Cheap to keep and two key young players for Jbot and the organization long-term. Not sure if next year is their year but if they make the team and produce it would go along way toward ending our forward depth issues.  TT is 100% likely to return given his injury, but Mitts is only 75% because he might be a good asset in a trade

6) UFAs with zero chance of returning as Sabres - Frolik, Sobotka, Wilson and Hunwick.  

7) UFAs who could return

a) Simmonds - over the hill, but is a leader and adds toughness to a lineup that needs it.  If signed to a cheap deal, he’ll add additional RW depth and might be worth keeping. 25% returning.

b & c) Larsson and Girgensons - UFAs and key pieces of the GLO line - It’s reasonable to think they are sick of losing and they’ll want to take the act elsewhere. Still they have grown  into important players here and are excellent in their roles and are worth keeping at the right price.  Lazar’s play may make re-signing Larsson less likely, but why mess with success. 65% returning for Girgensons and 50% for Larsson because of Lazar.  Despite other posting to the contrary, I think both guys want to be part of the solution here.

d) Vesey - His improved 2 way play makes we think he could be retained at the right price, but likely wants to leave given that he didn’t want to be here in the first place and our lack of centers hurt his chance of cashing in as a UFA.  Chance of returning 25%.

e) Wilson - I can’t see him returning to the Sabres specifically, but he could get re-signed as a vet for Rochester with a promise to recall as needed. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Anyone equating Johan Larsson's play to Curtis Lazar is wrong and should not be GM of an NHL team. If Lazar is half the player Johan is than he will stick in the NHL. Larsson is criminally underrated. 

That's not the question.  It's does Larsson want to return and how much does it cost to retain him.  Are you paying 2.5 mill to Larsson to keep him?  For how many years?  Larsson will be 28 this summer.  Are we going to invest decent money in a 4th line center or do we need to allocate resources elsewhere.  Don't forget that just 2 seasons ago nearly everyone on this board wanted Girgensons and Larsson sent packing.  

While he and Z had relatively good years, Larsson only gave us 18pts (a career best).  Signing him and Z would likely mean will be investing nearly 15% of the cap on our 4th line (when combined w KO).  Not sure that is a smart strategy.    

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That's not the question.  It's does Larsson want to return and how much does it cost to retain him.  Are you paying 2.5 mill to Larsson to keep him?  For how many years?  Larsson will be 28 this summer.  Are we going to invest decent money in a 4th line center or do we need to allocate resources elsewhere.  Don't forget that just 2 seasons ago nearly everyone on this board wanted Girgensons and Larsson sent packing.  

While he and Z had relatively good years, Larsson only gave us 18pts (a career best).  Signing him and Z would likely mean will be investing nearly 15% of the cap on our 4th line (when combined w KO).  Not sure that is a smart strategy.    

For numerous reasons, I can rationalize paying them to have LOG making 3A line money for 1-2 years and as 3B money for 1-2 more after that until we are a real contender (3 years max).  There is a lot here to disagree with, so YMMV.

1. Larry and Z were both projected to be solid middle-six centres. Disco Dan Abysmal was THE worst thing to happen to them.  In Pittsburgh, Abysmal was notorious for impeding development of young, moderately skilled players in favour of less-talented JAG's; he virtually killed these two.  I wonder how much better they and the team would be if they had been handled better.

2. There was a lot to dislike about Housley's coaching, but rehabilitating these two and helping Okposo re-invent himself to create the LOG line was genius.  During the worst season since The Bad Big Tank, they were the only line in the league to go plus against Pastrnak-Bergeron-Marchand and Krejci's line the entire season.  Even Anyone-O'Reilly-Reinhart were inferior to them against top lines that season.  That's not trivial.  (I keep track of these things.)

3. Yes, the LOG line ideally is a 4th line.  But since their creation, they have been the Sabres' #2 line over long stretches by both ice time and performance.  That can be used to allow Cozens, Mittlestadt, Thompson, Asplund, Kahun, and the rest of the youth to be developed properly -- for a change.  The line's role can be varied and eventually replaced as the youth improves.

If they are still a checking line that drives the opposing top lines nuts for the next 3 years, that is more than passable to me at $12M -- especially if the coaches can fix the PK.

Edited by E4 ... Ke2
Tpyos.

• 1 month later...

Revisiting thread...

Would you trade rights to Montour plus prospect/pick to Montreal for rights to Domi?

Would you trade Mitts and 2nd rd pick to Blue Jackets for rights to Anderson?

Sign Domi to 6 year $6 million AAV contract.

Sign Anderson to 4 year $4.5 million AAV.

Sign Reinhart to 7 year $7.5 million AAV.

Sign Olofsson to 3 year $4 million AAV.

Top six would consist of line like:

Olofsson- Eichel- Anderson

Skinner- Domi- Reinhart

On 4/22/2020 at 8:39 AM, sweetlou said:

Revisiting thread...

Would you trade rights to Montour plus prospect/pick to Montreal for rights to Domi?

Skinner- Domi- Reinhart

Hmm.  I would consider it.

On 4/22/2020 at 8:39 AM, sweetlou said:

Revisiting thread...

Skinner- Domi- Reinhart

For Domi, it would depend on the prospect, but yes, probably.

For Anderson, that’s also a probably yes.

I think that your salary numbers for both Reinhart and Anderson are actually a little high, especially considering the current financial situation.

Anderson could get that, but I’m thinking more $3.5-4.0

Reinhart is more like $6.0-6.5 than $7.5

I think contracts given out will be less generous than previously projected.  The cap is probably not going to see much increase for the next 2-4 years.

Edited by Curt

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.