GDT:Caps at Sabres 7pm MSG, WGR

Eleven

Since we are pretty much mathematically eliminated, the real question now is whether or not 11 points are available to beat last years total with 14 games remaining and the 4th hardest schedule down the stretch.  Or are we going to continue to fall in the lower basement of the league standings and perhaps be in the mix for pick 4-8? But nothing can go wrong tonight...Ovi vs our PK right?

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

legit chris pratt GIF by The Paley Center for Media

I want to use all my player goal pictures tonight.  Don't let me down Sabres.

I made my own set. We'll see which one the masses prefer.

Guess you shouldn't have stolen Sheary Amour and Werewolves.

This is the time and place of my choosing.

#PIAB

Edited by PASabreFan

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

My bad. I hurried before a meeting. Sorry. 

How dare you place your job before this message board!

52 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I bet this GDT ends up looking similar to the last couple by the time the game ends.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Since we are pretty much mathematically eliminated, the real question now is whether or not 11 points are available to beat last years total with 14 games remaining and the 4th hardest schedule down the stretch.  Or are we going to continue to fall in the lower basement of the league standings and perhaps be in the mix for pick 4-8? But nothing can go wrong tonight...Ovi vs our PK right?

Honest question....does anyone really care if they end up with more points than last year? It would be like getting a 59 instead of a 58 on your final exam.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Honest question....does anyone really care if they end up with more points than last year? It would be like getting a 59 instead of a 58 on your final exam.

I prefer wins. 
Even if it’s just to make the GDTs readable.

• Thanks (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I don't, but some might say... oh look! we improved!  Yay!

When you look at the massive 1 offseason turnarounds some teams have had over the past few years, it really doesn't matter how close you were the year prior.   

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Last time Washington visited Buffalo as the season circled the drain, we had a surprisingly fun afternoon.

I expect a good game from Washington tonight. They're fighting Philly for the division and they've got a few nights off after this game, so I bet they'll be throwing everything they can at the Sabres.

Yep were tanking and we are not even trying! With the other teams around us in the standings playing well and winning we look good for maybe 2nd or 3rd last. Yet another high pick. Maybe that was JBotto's plan all along this year? Maybe what he meant by "meaningful games in March" was it means something to keep losing as we can get another high draft position. hell maybe we'll win the stupid lottery for once and draft first! Nah the NHL will never let that happen. We'll probably get bumped down as usual. OV is slumping so look out! He is due for a big game. Although the Sabres tend to lose the so-called "easy" or "winnable" games and beat the better teams. Thus, we will win 4-2...

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Things are looking good for a bottom 5 finish. 

Looking at the remaining 14 games....I'll be shocked if this team can get 4 more wins. I'm also curious how long this losing streak will run through. Can we hit 10 games? Will they lose out? Just how far will they drop in the standings? I think it's impossible it "catch" Detroit, but it's looking like they could finish anywhere 2nd last - 4th last.

If they somehow land the lottery and get the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pick, do you take that pick or try to flip it for immediate help at 2C? 

Edited by Mustache of God
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

If they somehow land the lottery and get the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pick, do you take that pick or try to flip it for immediate help at 2C? 

G and 2C if they win the lottery.  2d or 3d, well, they'll have to make some tough decisions.  Right now I think goaltending is a bigger problem than center depth--and that says a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

Listening to Rob Ray's segment with S&B on GR-55 just now...

He said that at this time last year, players on the team were saying to Rob "Do you think it's funny that at this point in the season and after all we've been through, I still have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing in the defensive zone?"

Rob then said to S&B:  "That's not good."  

1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

Yep were tanking and we are not even trying! With the other teams around us in the standings playing well and winning we look good for maybe 2nd or 3rd last. Yet another high pick. Maybe that was JBotto's plan all along this year? Maybe what he meant by "meaningful games in March" was it means something to keep losing as we can get another high draft position. hell maybe we'll win the stupid lottery for once and draft first! Nah the NHL will never let that happen. We'll probably get bumped down as usual. OV is slumping so look out! He is due for a big game. Although the Sabres tend to lose the so-called "easy" or "winnable" games and beat the better teams. Thus, we will win 4-2...

Nobody.....and I mean NOBODY circles the tanks like the Buffalo Sabres!

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

G and 2C if they win the lottery.  2d or 3d, well, they'll have to make some tough decisions.  Right now I think goaltending is a bigger problem than center depth--and that says a lot.

Not sure if I agree, i think a real 2C is more important than replacing Hutton at this point. Ullmark is servicable, and we should waive Hutton and bring in a veteran back-up who used to be a starter but is at the tail end of his career who can be a good mentor for Linus (think what JBot did with Hutton originally, but someone who, you know, was an actual starter at one point). If we send Hutton to Rochester, it then means we have a semi-capable goaltender to call up as a back-up when we hit an injury at the goalie position.

Special Teams also needs a huge upgrade. I'm hoping Steve Smith does not come back. 

28 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

In Linus we trust!

What if if he takes us on a ten game winning streak?!?!

If TOR, FLA, and MTL all go 5-5 over that same span, then a 10-game winning streak has it like this. Still on the outside looking in, but with a game in hand.

TOR 79 gp,        89 pts

FLA & BUF 78 gp,   86 pts

MTL 80 gp, 81 pts

For the record (probably 16 rpm as JBottom looks like he learnt how to put a team together off the back of a cereal box), the NHL record for most consecutive regulation losses in a row is 17, set by the 1974-5 Washington Crapitals and equaled by the 1992-3 San Jose Sharts.  The Sabres of 2014-5 are tied for 4th with 14.

The NHL record for longest winning streak is 17 by the 1992-3 Pittsburgh Penguins.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.