UPL returns to Cincinnati

Brawndo

52 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He got lit up in Rochester right?

3/4/3 with a 3.15 GAA and an .874 SP.

I think those people from last summer who were ready to pencil him in to the Sabres lineup this fall should probably reconsider.

Yeah anyone who thought UPL might be up here next year were out of their minds. It often takes 2, 3, 4 years in the minors for a goalie to properly develop & be ready for the pro game. This will have been a good learning experience for UPL. As he now has a better idea of the speed of professional players & what he needs to work on.

Sure it wouldve been nice to see him put up stellar numbers & dominate. But a solid learning experience that'll aid in his growth isnt that bad either. He's years away from ever playing here. I'd expect him to play well in Cinci down the stretch here.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

3/4/3 with a 3.15 GAA and an .874 SP.

I think those people from last summer who were ready to pencil him in to the Sabres lineup this fall should probably reconsider.

And should be a signal to whomever is the new Sabres GM (hopefully someone other then JBot) that getting a goaltender is abig off season priority.

But with Braden Holtby as the 'best' possible UFA, the trade route may be the only viable short term option until UPL is ready.

And this UPL regression is why I don't think the Sabres should shy away from Askarov in the 20 Draft if they pick say 10th and he is available.

13 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

And should be a signal to whomever is the new Sabres GM (hopefully someone other then JBot) that getting a goaltender is abig off season priority.

But with Braden Holtby as the 'best' possible UFA, the trade route may be the only viable short term option until UPL is ready.

And this UPL regression is why I don't think the Sabres should shy away from Askarov in the 20 Draft if they pick say 10th and he is available.

GT's are so variable, I'm not sure I'd do it there unless it was a sure-fire bet (like top-5 can't miss). If it were really a high-need, I'd pick 2-3 in the mid rounds with the idea that one of them would rise to the top "for sure". Probably not the best use of assets though.

1 hour ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

1.  Win draft lottery.

2.  Trade pick to Winnipeg for a sweet package including Hellebuyck, a center, and more.  Maybe this includes their pick or a high end prospect.  

3.  Watch as Alexis Lafreniere takes years to develop into a good second-line left wing.

4.  Make playoffs next year.

This is selling high and buying low.

But it does depend on winning that lottery.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Holtby is too much. We don’t need a starter imo, I think someone that can do thirty games or so with Linus getting the lions share would be fine. Maybe get two goalies, one to play thirty games the other for Rochester in case of injury 

45 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Holtby is too much. We don’t need a starter imo, I think someone that can do thirty games or so with Linus getting the lions share would be fine. Maybe get two goalies, one to play thirty games the other for Rochester in case of injury 

This team doesn’t make the playoffs with simply adequate goaltending.

Ullmark is a good back-up who might have the ability to hold the fort as a starter if forced, Hutton a veteran back-up who has virtually played himself out of the league and we have two prospects who aren’t ready for even backup duty.

At minimum, we need to add somebody at least as good as Ullmark and preferably someone much better.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.