Media will no longer allowed in NHL Locker Rooms

Brawndo

11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Apparently it maybe phased in over the next 48 hours. 

The initial report about an absolute ban was incorrect, according to the league. The statement the league put out gave teams the discretion as to what to do.

Earlier in the day, the NHL issued a statement that said teams could use their own discretion as far as the status of their locker rooms.

Early Saturday night, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman held a press conference and confirmed that the league, for now, is leaving a policy on locker rooms up to the individual teams.

https://www.burlingtoncountytimes.com/sports/20200307/flyers-keeping-locker-room-open-to-media---for-now

The story also has talk about whether attendance at games might be "limited."

Edited by PASabreFan

9 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

We've seen the stupid levels of damage that this could prevent firsthand, too

ROR? That was a locker cleanout day, I think. I think he would have still said the same thing had they taken the press availability to a conference room.

I'm surprised at support for kicking out the reporters. There's a whiff of "Merica 2020" in that opinion. Sure, most of what is said is hockey drivel, but sometimes you learn something. Sometimes there's true emotion. People get mad and tell the truth. We learned about Eichel from his early lockerroom interviews. There's fun. Lindy throws a shaving cream pie, etc. etc. Drew Stafford is seen wearing the celebratory fur coat. Rob is in the background picking off an imaginary goatee and hanging it up on the stall's hook.

The best argument for keeping it, I don't blame any fan for forgetting: SOMETIMES YOU WIN BIG GAMES, EVEN PLAYOFF GAMES, AND THE INTERVIEWS ARE JOYOUS, MUST SEE TV.

I know I have @Neo on my side here.

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

ROR? That was a locker cleanout day, I think. I think he would have still said the same thing had they taken the press availability to a conference room.

I'm surprised at support for kicking out the reporters. There's a whiff of "Merica 2020" in that opinion. Sure, most of what is said is hockey drivel, but sometimes you learn something. Sometimes there's true emotion. People get mad and tell the truth. We learned about Eichel from his early lockerroom interviews. There's fun. Lindy throws a shaving cream pie, etc. etc. Drew Stafford is seen wearing the celebratory fur coat. Rob is in the background picking off an imaginary goatee and hanging it up on the stall's hook.

The best argument for keeping it, I don't blame any fan for forgetting: SOMETIMES YOU WIN BIG GAMES, EVEN PLAYOFF GAMES, AND THE INTERVIEWS ARE JOYOUS, MUST SEE TV.

I quoted True, who was talking about never hearing another word from a professional athlete 

21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I am certainly aware of, and touched by, spontaneous joy!  I’m not sure I find it in locker room interviews very often.  I hear regurgitation of the obvious, “gotcha” or manufactured controversy too often for me to listen regularly.  Some hunts, I got no dog.

37 minutes ago, Neo said:

I am certainly aware of, and touched by, spontaneous joy!  I’m not sure I find it in locker room interviews very often.  I hear regurgitation of the obvious, “gotcha” or manufactured controversy too often for me to listen regularly.  Some hunts, I got no dog.

I guess it's a tradeoff. If you want the cameras in there after they win a Cup, you have to accept them in there after a loss to Columbus on a Tuesday in November.

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't actually care, but I couldn't help noticing that upside of his proposition.

In ROR's case, you'd have to believe it was a spontaneous comment that was not intended to add to the push to trade him. I'm not that naive. You would have heard it from him in some other way, IMHO. Players will always get their message out.

An interesting twist on this is where the players and PA stand on the lockerroom vs. conference room issue, or even how they would feel about no press access a'tall. I'm pretty sure the PA would not favor the latter.

On 3/7/2020 at 7:30 PM, TrueBlueGED said:

If I never heard another player, coach, or GM speak publicly again in any forum, my enjoyment of sports might actually increase. All anyone ever does is spew cliches or straight-up lie. 

I guess we can't fault them for having future political aspirations. ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.