Media will no longer allowed in NHL Locker Rooms

Brawndo

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

People shouldn't gather in lockerrooms, unless you're a player or staff member? I'd like to hear the logic behind this. Is the "scrum" the concern? (People in close proximity.)

Reducing the possibility of transmission. In a scrums reporters are usually within arms length of players, the recommended distance from the CDC is six feet to reduce the risk. This can be achieved in press rooms as the podium is a distance away. 

As quickly as influenza and gastroenteritis spread through rooms, being overly cautious with Covid 19 particularly with the playoffs starting in less than a month is prudent. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Reducing the possibility of transmission. In a scrums reporters are usually within arms length of players, the recommended distance from the CDC is six feet to reduce the risk. This can be achieved in press rooms as the podium is a distance away. 

As quickly as influenza and gastroenteritis spread through rooms, being overly cautious with Covid 19 particularly with the playoffs starting in less than a month is prudent. 

Do reporters catch diseases from the players? Will reporters be sitting more than six feet away from each other? You're making it sound like the goal is to protect the players.

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Do reporters catch diseases from the players? Will reporters be sitting more than six feet away from each other? You're making it sound like the goal is to protect the players.

Umm that’s the whole point of the NHL and NHLPA doing this to protect players 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, pi2000 said:

This is dumb... Is the media more likely to infect players?

Yes.  That much is easy to deduce.  The league cannot afford to have their players becoming infected, especially those that are playoff bound.  They need to take precautions. Letting reports into the locker room infects the entire space.  Because reports are out in the hallways and press boxes mixing it up with people they are far more likely to bring germs into the locker room than the players.

It's a simple preventative measure.  The financial impact of having a team become infected could be significant, so take a little precaution.  It's not like they are not allowing the media and fans into the arena.

33 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

FWIW I don't think they belong in there anyway but I know I'm outnumbered in that opinion.

I really don't get it either.  Since when did any of us have to be interviewed naked.  I watch the Bills get interviewed and see more of players than I want to.  Make a separate room and require players go there for interviews.  And how can this be comfortable for female reporters?  Asking pointed questions with a strange guys junk just literally a foot or so from her.  That's not a hostile work environment??????

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

People shouldn't gather in lockerrooms, unless you're a player or staff member? I'd like to hear the logic behind this. Is the "scrum" the concern? (People in close proximity.)

I too feel like the locker room interview is silly.  Just interview the guy on his way in or out.  Can you imagine locker room interviews of the USWNT?

21 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I really don't get it either.  Since when did any of us have to be interviewed naked.  I watch the Bills get interviewed and see more of players than I want to.  Make a separate room and require players go there for interviews.  And how can this be comfortable for female reporters?  Asking pointed questions with a strange guys junk just literally a foot or so from her.  That's not a hostile work environment??????

The idea used to be you could get open and honest direct answers from players while the emotions were still there. Not the team fed or coach spewed pablum you get in press conferences, but that idea went out years ago. They are all schooled and coached on how to answer questions and you rarely get anything different. Still, I think we've gotten our best or most controversial quotes from the rooms. It's a shame to lose that imo but inevitable and in this case reasonable. 

Wouldn't be surprised if they use this and never bring them back. 

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The idea used to be you could get open and honest direct answers from players while the emotions were still there.

I'd find it difficult to lie when my junk is out in front of a dozen reporters.  Maybe that's just me.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I mean, they're allowed to cover themselves up, right?

They have tight schedules and charters to catch,.  Sometimes there's no time to be modest.  You got to shower, then get dressed and talk at the same time.  You'll always notice how tight the camera shots are in the Bills locker room.  Half the guys are dressing as reporters are interviewing the player next to them.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Oh, thank God.

Win or lose, locker room interviews are mind-numbingly painful.

If I never heard another player, coach, or GM speak publicly again in any forum, my enjoyment of sports might actually increase. All anyone ever does is spew cliches or straight-up lie. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If I never heard another player, coach, or GM speak publicly again in any forum, my enjoyment of sports might actually increase. All anyone ever does is spew cliches or straight-up lie. 

Agreed. I'd be fine with no interviews. Release a statement at the end of the season and call it a day. 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I mean, they're allowed to cover themselves up, right?

During the interview?  Sure.  During the entirety of the dressing room access?  How's that going to work?

Again, think of female athletes and male reporters.  Nope.  Not happening.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.