GDT: PENGUINS @ SABRES - 7 PM ET

Mustache of God

1 minute ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

I was just thinking of how many times I've watched the Sabres play and trail, of course, and then in the last 2.5 minutes have 6 attackers with the goalie out........and on ...and on

lately down by 2 empty net early pull we haven't allowed an empty net goal so JBot would say that's progress. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, ... said:

So, listening to ERod's pre-game comments, I wonder if it's a simple matter of the Sabres' culture not understanding, not respecting, and not prepared for the grind of an NHL season. Like, from the owners down to even the support staff, the equipment guys, the rink crew, maybe everyone complains and suffers an entire season badly, which would, of course, bleed into the locker room.  That would explain how the problem has transcended GMs and coaches.

Where did you hear this?

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

it is another accidental tank... we may yet end up with a top 5 pick by sheer incompetence 

Yep.  Pretty soon we'll be able to draft Jack Eichel's son.

• Haha (+1) 1

Botterill has to go and I wish RK could.  We don't have to completely start over but with the additional cap space, RFA's and UFA's theres an opportunity for a different team to be built.  I want Botterill no where near those decisions.

Edited by 7+6=13
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, CallawaySabres said:

Oh my God, our coach has officially gone off the rails. Are you listening to this pathetic excuse of a game plan? The reporters are bringing up very good points as to why certain people than play in the third. And he is totally agreeing with them......WHAT!!!!!!!!!

Ralph should be fired for hardly playing Kahun.  He's been one of the more productive players and deserved ice time....I'm ready to move on from Ralph's version of "blah-blah-blah".  I'll gladly take the risk of another GM and HC.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Oh my God, our coach has officially gone off the rails. Are you listening to this pathetic excuse of a game plan? The reporters are bringing up very good points as to why certain people than play in the third. And he is totally agreeing with them......WHAT!!!!!!!!!

I think these post game interviews are preparing a lot of these people for a career in politics.  

I'm no "modern" GM, but if Pegula gave me the  GM job, I would build a heavy team that was nasty in their character.  Teams would hate playing against us.  Teams would fear playing against us.  Eichel and Dahlin would not get touched without immediate retribution.  We may not win every game, but we would be loved and revered in Buffalo.  I could watch that team all year long.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I'm no "modern" GM, but if Pegula gave me the  GM job, I would build a heavy team that was nasty in their character.  Teams would hate playing against us.  Teams would fear playing against us.  Eichel and Dahlin would not get touched without immediate retribution.  We may not win every game, but we would be loved and revered in Buffalo.  I could watch that team all year long.

Since that “nastiness” you speak of has been slowly coached out of the game on all levels for the past 15 years, you’ll be hard pressed to ice a team full of them AND not get caved  in offensively every. Single. Game. That kind of team would be lucky to get 1 goal every third game. And heaviness usually comes at a cost of speed in most instances. So it would be a slow heavy team who can hit and fight and scare a random team. But not nearly the firepower To compete in the NHL of 2020. What you seem to speak of went away long ago.

Some grit? Sure! Some heaviness? Sure! But the last 20+ Stanley cup winners were not full of those types of players. However those who weren’t that way in the regular season, played out of character (generalizing) and added some grit during the playoffs which helps the team overall. No one knows for sure which of our current lineup would play out of character and be gritty in the playoffs except Simmonds. Maybe Risto, maybe McCabe, maybe Larsson, maybe Girgs, maybe KO. Other than that ... not much. And too many who MAY add grit and heaviness when it counts. Can’t rely on a maybe.

Edited by Zamboni

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Since that “nastiness” you speak of has been slowly coached out of the game on all levels for the past 15 years, you’ll be hard pressed to ice a team full of them AND not get caved  in offensively every. Single. Game. That kind of team would be lucky to get 1 goal every third game. And heaviness usually comes at a cost of speed in most instances. So it would be a slow heavy team who can hit and fight and scare a random team. But not nearly the firepower To compete in the NHL of 2020. What you seem to speak of went away long ago.

Some grit? Sure! Some heaviness? Sure! But the last 20+ Stanley cup winners were not full of those types of players. However those who weren’t that way in the regular season, played out of character (generalizing) and added some grit during the playoffs which helps the team overall. No one knows for sure which of our current lineup would play out of character and be gritty, except Simmonds. Maybe Risto, maybe McCabe, maybe Larsson, maybe Girgs, maybe KO. Other than that ... not much. And too many who MAY add grit and heaviness when it counts. Can’t rely on a maybe.

Fair enough.  I'm guilty of remembering  the game played by Schonfeld, Korab, Dudley, Foligno and Gare.  Skill and nastiness combined.  Today, it's a rare skill set mix.  Feel free to "OK Boomer" me.  I just can't stand a soft Buffalo Sabres Hockey team.  Win or lose.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

That looks really funny.  But for those that have played the game, we've all had our "moments" when we get back to the bench and the entire team is laughing at you.  And you can't help but laugh at yourself.

Just now, Tondas said:

Fair enough.  I'm guilty of remembering  the game played by Schonfeld, Korab, Dudley, Foligno and Gare.  Skill and nastiness combined.  Today, it's a rare skill set mix.  Feel free to "OK Boomer" me.  I just can't stand a soft Buffalo Sabres Hockey team.  Win or lose.

I remember those days too. Even though i was in my pre-teens.  Unfortunately that part of the NHL we loved, is gone. The toughest heaviest guy in the NHL is who? Reaves, maybe? If he is, he would get his freakin clocked cleaned on a nightly basis by half the league if we time traveled him back to 1970’s NHL ?

I would love a Tom Wilson type. He has a nice mix of skill and heaviness. There are a few others we could litter our roster with. Perhaps if Borgen is ready? Hopefully JB or whoever can add one or two more “semi-heavy” players who have jam but also can pot 15-20 goals a year... or more.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.