Sabres defence is better*

dudacek

At least at limiting high danger chances, aaccording to this article by Joe Yerdon

https://theathletic.com/1653613/2020/03/04/how-the-performances-of-sabres-defensemen-have-changed-under-ralph-krueger/

If there is one area where this year’s team has done particularly well at 5-on-5, it is in limiting opportunities against. Via NaturalStatTrick.com, the Sabres are ninth in the NHL in high-danger chances against. The other side of that, however, is that they’ve allowed 80 high-danger goals against, which ties them with Vegas for 20th place. Their high-danger save percentage is fifth-worst in the NHL. The defense has mostly done its job, while goaltending has not.

I don't see how that's necessarily on the goaltenders. What I see is the D allowing the opposition to control the front of the net area and bang in a lot of rebounds, walk right out in front, stuff like that. I assume these are "high danger" chances. 

Also think the stat is skewed in our favor when teams get an early lead on us and then just play shutdown hockey rather than attack because they know we don't score much and fight back when we fall behind (like the most recent Winnipeg game, the stat might say they had less high danger chances in the 2nd and 3rd, but that wasn't us, that was them playing safe D). 

My eyeball impression is that this defense is much, much better than the past.They play physical along the boards, make good passes leaving the zone, Risto is always putting someone on the ice in front of the net and they usually limit great opportunities. It can still be better, but it is not the problem with this team 

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

There's so much emphasis in analytics on one player or one pairing. Are there fancy stats for five-man units? We all know, or should know, defense is more than two defensemen, offense is more than three forwards yada yada yada.

The only times I know of ensemble-related analytics were when the Red Wings did this when they put together The Russian Five, that Boston did some back when Boychuk broke Vanek's ankle, and I know someone who did it last season when he compared the LOG line to other 3rd and 4th lines last season.

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They were until the coaching staff got the brilliant idea to put out montour and risto together. 

Indeed, they both have a tendency to wander and get caught out of position. I think the idea was Risto stay more at home in that combination but he might be feeling pressure to make something happen offensively as well right now. He's an undisciplined player for sure, and Montour imo is a forward playing D.

5 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Montour is not good on his off side

is he good on either???

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.