Who is in charge of the PP and the PK and why?

LGR4GM

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Honest question. Who runs these and why? Also when can we fire them?

RK is accountable for this mission-critical failure.

I'm starting to think that both he and JB are going to get canned, and that it will be justified if it happens.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Granato has the PP

Smith has the PK

They’re both failing miserably. Its clear the most interesting man in the world has final say. Remember shortly after or in the early streak when the PP was firing on all cylinders Ralph made the comment that he was noticing problems in the PP and he needed to tweek it. Well he did. Great move Ralph. As for the PK goaltending is a big part of that and we have yet to have any.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Granato has the PP

Smith has the PK

I don't care much for Smith as a coach. I feel like the pp was better when Chris Taylor was here but am too lazy to check if that mattered. 

37 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

They’re both failing miserably. Its clear the most interesting man in the world has final say. Remember shortly after or in the early streak when the PP was firing on all cylinders Ralph made the comment that he was noticing problems in the PP and he needed to tweek it. Well he did. Great move Ralph. As for the PK goaltending is a big part of that and we have yet to have any.

It would be interesting to study the PP before this comment for a couple games and then what happened after and see if there really was a change. I kinda love how Risto was put in front of the net and managed 1 goal and now he is just there... being useless. 

• Like (+1) 1

Smith's PK last season was 12th. The main player differences between this year and last year are Lazar and Frolik instead of Rodrigues and Sobotka. Plus only part of a year of Scandella. I think Lazar and Frolik are just as good at PKing as these two. I don't know enough to comment, but I've read posters claiming that the PK strategy is different this year, has a different name for the base setup. I don't think that would be Smith's idea, since whatever he did last  year worked reasonably well. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Smith's PK last season was 12th. The main player differences between this year and last year are Lazar and Frolik instead of Rodrigues and Sobotka. Plus only part of a year of Scandella. I think Lazar and Frolik are just as good at PKing as these two. I don't know enough to comment, but I've read posters claiming that the PK strategy is different this year, has a different name for the base setup. I don't think that would be Smith's idea, since whatever he did last  year worked reasonably well. 

Then Krueger is to blame. Great another coach who can't adapt or trust what works. 

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

But I and those posters might be wrong too, we're still in the "allegedly" stage 

Screw it if the Sabres management can do things with no evidence or thought, we sure as hell can do the same when laying out the blame. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

It’s not a popular opinion around here, but our best penalty killer last year was Bogosian.

Also, any marginal gains made in adding Frolik were lost in losing Scandella.

I maintain the biggest weakness on the PK is goaltending. Hutton's troubles with overcommitment and rebound control are magnified considerably. I’m curious how the PK numbers vary depending on the goalie, even though Ullmark isn’t great in those areas either.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I maintain the biggest weakness on the PK is goaltending. Hutton's troubles with overcommitment and rebound control are magnified considerably. I’m curious how the PK numbers vary depending on the goalie, even though Ullmark isn’t great in those areas either.

Yup. Find good goaltending and everyone else looks better and smiles more. Those first two goals last night I thought could have been stopped. Good goalies make those saves. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.