Finally this season is over for me

MODO Hockey

2 hours ago, Tondas said:

I haven't been a peacemaker on this board, but let's try to have as much fun with the last 20 games as we can.  If the games aren't entertaining, I can always count on this board to give me a laugh or two.  All of us on this board need to "stay connected."

Don't tell me what to do.

Just kidding.  I always look forward to your comments.  Thanks for keeping things light.  

• Thanks (+1) 2

At the current pace we would end up with a mere 6 point gain over last year despite all the beginning of the year hype (and could easily do worse with the schedule we have unless Bruins etc. rest people when they play us or something).

Contrast this with the Flyers, who were only a few points better than us last year, have already passed their last season total and are 1 point out of first in their division (and have numerous young prospects in their system).

It’s been over for awhile folks. The nhl and their 3pt games (sometimes) creates a false playoff race. The Sabres were playing better but had 4 teams to leapfrog. It is virtually impossible unless you win 10 straight in regulation. Another no stress in the playoffs year.

20 hours ago, Curt said:

I can’t understand these statements about Ralph being a “soft” “cupcake pzy” (cute) “pat on the back” coach.  Has he not regularly benched players?  Cut their mins?  Demoted them?

Do people need to see a total melt down throwing things on the bench to think a guy isn’t a big pushover?

We will continue to disagree to a certain level and that is fine with me.

He has benched people, he has cut some mins on players, and? i mean that is not rocket sience and i believe any coach would've done that eventually.

In my opinion i strongly believe Sabres need a completly different type of coach, somewhere between John T and Ralph, i dont know, more to John than Ralph.
I have to belive what i believe until the day im proven wrong, i said the same thing about Phil and i will continue to believe that Ralph is way to soft for this team and this organisation. And ill never forget his respons when asked "What did you think about the hit to the head on Rasmus Dahlin" where he replied "We are to emotional to answer this question, it is better for those not to emotional to look into this". That tells me Ralph is trying to be a grownup for a group of teenagers. 

I've seen it to much where the team doesnt stand up for eachother, some things can be tolerated and some cannot. 

Obviously there are many speculations of reasons to why Sabres keep crawling in the mudd, this is mine and it is what it is.  

Edited by MODO Hockey
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

He has benched people, he has cut some mins on players, and? i mean that is not rocket sience and i believe any coach would've done that eventually.

In my opinion i strongly believe Sabres need a completly different type of coach, somewhere between John T and Ralph, i dont know, more to John than Ralph.
I have to belive what i believe until the day im proven wrong, i said the same thing about Phil and i will continue to believe that Ralph is way to soft for this team and this organisation. And ill never forget his respons when asked "What did you think about the hit to the head on Rasmus Dahlin" where he replied "We are to emotional to answer this question, it is better for those not to emotional to look into this". That tells me Ralph is trying to be a grownup for a group of teenagers. 

I've seen it to much where the team doesnt stand up for eachother, some things can be tolerated and some cannot. 

Obviously there are many speculations of reasons to why Sabres keep crawling in the mudd, this is mine and it is what it is.  

I'm not against a John Torterrela but overall that style doesn't seem as effective in today's game. Several reasons. One, players today often times hold a coaches job in the balance They make more and frankly I think have at least equal influence with management and ownership. There is not a fear factor there maybe used to be. Also ruled today on player movement up and down are different. Further a fiery coach seems to lose attraction and efficiency after awhile. RK is not this teams problem. Players are.

10 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'm not against a John Torterrela but overall that style doesn't seem as effective in today's game. Several reasons. One, players today often times hold a coaches job in the balance They make more and frankly I think have at least equal influence with management and ownership. There is not a fear factor there maybe used to be. Also ruled today on player movement up and down are different. Further a fiery coach seems to lose attraction and efficiency after awhile. RK is not this teams problem. Players are.

Obviously we think differently, not saying your wrong over all.

I think the exact oposit for this team, the organisation it self. This organisation need some fire and dedication, this team and organisation obviously blows. Look at Finland, they won world cup without a single player from NHL, speaks for it self. Enough talant in Buffalo Sabres, we've seen it more than once during this season, but keeping it consistant is something this team lacks. You cannot know for certain and niether can i so that we can agree on 100%.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

At the current pace we would end up with a mere 6 point gain over last year despite all the beginning of the year hype (and could easily do worse with the schedule we have unless Bruins etc. rest people when they play us or something).

Contrast this with the Flyers, who were only a few points better than us last year, have already passed their last season total and are 1 point out of first in their division (and have numerous young prospects in their system).

very good point here...how is it that Philly can re-invent itself in such a short span of time and yes even have prospects not yet in the NHL yet we keep hearing that we have to be patient with JBotto as he does his "rebuild".  Philly even got rid of their bad contracts while JBotto now has Skinner signed to a very scary contract. I guess the difference is that we are use to losing and being told to be patient (we've heard that for how many years now?) while places like Philly will not accept losing period...

21 minutes ago, WildCard said:

About the time that Mitts went down, no?

And the loss of Thompson and Lazar, their top two points per game players.  They also lost their all star goalie somewhere in there and their top defenseman has been riding the shuttle back and forth to Buffalo.

If we made progress I could bear it.  But we have not.  Jack is who we thought he was and has shown it.  And he still has more potential.  Sam has likely reached his ceiling.  Dahlin made progress but has a ways to go.  Joki may be the only good story.  Skinner epically disappeared and we will get about 15-18 goals for $9 million.  The defense is slightly better.  The offense is putrid.  The special teams are near historically bad.  The goaltending is subpar.  This team is 2-3 years from being competitive. 

6 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

very good point here...how is it that Philly can re-invent itself in such a short span of time and yes even have prospects not yet in the NHL yet we keep hearing that we have to be patient with JBotto as he does his "rebuild".  Philly even got rid of their bad contracts while JBotto now has Skinner signed to a very scary contract. I guess the difference is that we are use to losing and being told to be patient (we've heard that for how many years now?) while places like Philly will not accept losing period...

This is why I'm suggesting Hextall as a GM choice. He got a raw deal in Philly. When he got there their cap was a disaster and their cupboard was pretty bare. He drafted extremely well and fixed the cap and all his replacement had to do was use a little of that money to fill the last big hole (Hayes) and add a veteran coach. They are a vastly improved team and Nolan Patrick hasn't even played a minute this year. They look, right now, like they will be a solid competitor for years to come now. Exactly what we are not.  

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is why I'm suggesting Hextall as a GM choice. He got a raw deal in Philly. When he got there their cap was a disaster and their cupboard was pretty bare. He drafted extremely well and fixed the cap and all his replacement had to do was use a little of that money to fill the last big hole (Hayes) and add a veteran coach. They are a vastly improved team and Nolan Patrick hasn't even played a minute this year. They look, right now, like they will be a solid competitor for years to come now. Exactly what we are not.  

I doubt that Ron Hextall would ever come here. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember him having a particular fondness for WNY.

Going back to when I realized we were done, although I stayed in denial for a while after that:  When the Sabres lost to the Red Wings on February 6.  If they couldn't beat the Wings, you knew they weren't going anywhere.

Edited by Doohickie

Philly won again last night...for sure they are everything we would love the Sabres to be...big fast aggreesive nasty when it is necessary and play that up-tempo game. I agree Hextall got a bum deal and he certainly built that team and cleaned up the mess he inherited. JBotto inherited ROR EK and Lehner in goal and immediately got ird of all 3 for basically nothing. I know there are still people who defend these trades but the truth is you simply cannot give away that kind of talent for basically nothing and not pay the price. Hell I'd take Hextall as GM and LIndy back as coach. Anything would be better then this disaster we have now  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2020 at 5:09 AM, MODO Hockey said:

I agree so much with you Modo... which is why I like Cozens coming in, but the Sabres need more players with angst and talent... I.e., a couple Peca's and Barnaby's without the stupidty... heck I could appreciate a Kadri just to stir the pot.... get Pekar up to the NHL as fast as possible and more guys with his tude.  The way LA played last night, they could even pass the Sabres and they could be looking at Byfield... either way I want guys traded for and drafted that first and foremost have drive.... At this point I am willing to trade Sam not because he doesn't have talent, but because he isn't - doesn't have that angst... way to much shinny with him and not enough NHL player...  Get Borgen up on D to go with Risto and Miller.  I am tired of guys who sulk.... even Jack and don't play hockey for the love of it.  Sabres need a Tchakuk (sp)....

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.