Finally this season is over for me

MODO Hockey

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'll say this. The man thinks he is paid by the word.

”I did meet with some family last night but it’s just that the National Hockey League keeps you in a very unique space. You’re just taking care of your next task, getting ready for the next phase, trying to work with the lineup, trying to find something good and valuable to grow and learn from the last games. You don’t really leave the space of execution that you’re in as a coach.”‘

How about: "I had to work."

I don't like Ralph, partly because I don't like his manner.  To me he sounds like a snake oil salesman, but maybe it's more just that he likes to hear himself talk.

I'm okay with him being the coach, provided he brings results.  We've seen him do that for isolated stretches.  I don't know enough about sports to know if the inconsistency is due to Ralph and his system, the roster (and the fact that he has a lot of good, young players and some so-so established players), or what.  But I'm not seeing the results on a consistent enough basis to say he's a good coach. 

Actually the fact that he gets good performance out of them for short periods seems to me to be a knock on Ralph.  He needs to get his team ready for every game.  He will readily "take the blame" when the team comes out flat, but I don't see anything changing to improve the team's preparation. 

The latest losing streak might very well be that Jack is playing injured.  I wonder if the team would respond differently if he wasn't playing at all.  If other lines got the big minutes instead of Jack's line, would the result be different.

But in the end, I just don't see the results I want to see from Ralph.  Unless there is a major housecleaning, he and JBot probably get through next year and then we can reassess.  I hope a year from now I'll be glad we kept them in place because the Sabres have finally turned the corner and consistently play well.  I hope this happens, but I don't expect it.

1 hour ago, StuckinFL said:

But the people being benched are just not talented enough to make any discernable difference when they are replaced. And they are demoted as a last resort, not because they played a lousy game or have a bad attitude.

Per example, who in Rochester or further down the lineup can replace Skinner if he starts acting like an ass? No one from line 2 on down can replace him on his worst day with their best day. This roster is a ghost town of talent around a few bright spots.

Ryan Miller once said during one of his losses IIRC during his Venzia year that he needed to step up and play better because he was afraid of being benched in favor of Marty by Ruff. Marty was nowhere near as talented but could perform adequately enough if he needed to and the team could STILL WIN GAMES. Talent creates a competitive atmosphere where you are auditioning for your roster spot every night. RK can't create that internal competition without enough talent on the roster.

The guys who at times have been benched and had their ice time cut include Skinner and Dahlin, so I don’t really think that what you are saying rings true.

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's a faint qualification.

In all seriousness, given his last five years and the role he played for soccer team, he's arguably more qualified to be the guy that makes sure things are running smoothly from the top than the guy drawing x's and o's on the whiteboard every day.

I couldn't fathom not being more excited by Terry -> Krueger -> Gillis -> Boudreau than Terry -> Botterill -> Krueger 

Edited by Randall Flagg

18 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

In all seriousness, given his last five years and the role he played for soccer team, he's arguably more qualified to be the guy that makes sure things are running smoothly from the top than the guy drawing x's and o's on the whiteboard every day.

I couldn't fathom not being more excited by Terry -> Krueger -> Gillis -> Boudreau than Terry -> Botterill -> Krueger 

You need to get Terry out of there. Seriously. He can't be at the top of the hockey department.

16 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Krueger's soccer team wasn't that good (they finished 5 points above relegation last season).

I don't see how making an executive of a mediocre EPL team the President of Hockey Operations helps the Sabres.

Maybe if Ralph could, I don't know, FIX THE FREAKIN' POWER PLAY, maybe Terry would consider making him the czar of all hockey decisions.

16 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You need to get Terry out of there. Seriously. He can't be at the top of the hockey department.

He isn’t at the top of the hockey department now even, but in the end, Terry is at the top of everything.  It’s unavoidable, he’s the owner.

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

All with a calm demeanor. No fire in the belly.

At first I objected to this and pointed you to Jack on Barstool Sports' podcast. Upon listening to Jack, maybe RaKru does remain calm, doesn't show "fire." But the money quote is that the coach inspires fire in his team. If you google Eichel+Barstool Sports you'll find the podcast. The Eichel interview starts at about 56:00, and after several minutes of banter he gets into Krueger. Paraphrasing: He delivers a really good message, even after a bad game he's not kicking the trash can or anything. The morning after, he does a good job regrouping us and after he talks, "it's like, holy s****, I'll go out and play right now if he wants."

Edited by PASabreFan

19 minutes ago, NY2buffalo said:

Funny how one ever mentions the Amerks. Lots of good guys there. 

Please list the Amerks you think are destined to play 200 or more NHL games.

How many of those are a good bet to play 500?

Edited by dudacek

18 minutes ago, NY2buffalo said:

Funny how one ever mentions the Amerks. Lots of good guys there. 

Chris Taylor is the only good guy there. That team is built on AAAA players, not prospects. This isn’t the lockout Amerks. Not to mention, it’s a Sabres forum. Rochester talk pretty much stays in the Rochester thread. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

At first I objected to this and pointed you to Jack on Barstool Sports' podcast. Upon listening to Jack, maybe RaKru does remain calm, doesn't show "fire." But the money quote is that the coach inspires fire in his team. If you google Eichel+Barstool Sports you'll find the podcast. The Eichel interview starts at about 56:00, and after several minutes of banter he gets into Krueger. Paraphrasing: He delivers a really good message, even after a bad game he's not kicking the trash can or anything. The morning after, he does a good job regrouping us and after he talks, "it's like, holy s****, I'll go out and play right now if he wants."

I believe Eichel....

The cynic or negative Nancy’s won’t believe that at all, and say he’s just towing the company line and playing nice in public. Therefore you’ll never convince them that Eichel was being honest.

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And Jack didn't just say "I'll go out and play," he said the whole team feels that way.

Also I don't want Terry in those hierarchies either but he always will be

2 hours ago, GoPre said:

Sabres gotta be a team top draft picks are hoping to avoid.  Buffalo used to be a quality franchise.  Has turned into a team I’m sure many players have listed as one they cannot be traded to.  Every season there’s the idea things will be all set in 2 to 3 seasons.  It continues to not happen.  Getting very difficult to enjoy the Buffalo Sabres. ?

As a general rule, it is probably fair to consider Buffalo as a bottom 3 destination in the league.  Certainly bottom 5.  Winnipeg is usually tough to beat, and maybe a few others.  Despite the weather, it has to be tough to play in Ft. Lauderdale where no one cares about the team, the building is half empty for all games, and it's like your career is in limbo.  A lot of players hate that environment, and I don't blame them. 

But there are always exceptions.  Simmonds just waived his no trade clause to actually come to Buffalo, so you never know what a specific player is thinking.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I think I listened to that when it was first discussed on the forum.

A guy like Nolan was all fire and no brains.  Someone like Lindy, like Torts, like several others, are both fire and brains.  I understand your point about it's not his fire, its his ability to inspire fire in the players.  I don't think all the players are getting it or something.  Jack is Jack.  At this point he pretty reliably plays at the top of his abilities; he's not the problem.  But the whole team doesn't seem as excited to play.

Maybe a well-timed outburst on the bench would excite them.

35 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I agree, but how do you do that?  He's the boss!  Someone he trusts very closely has to have a heart to heart with him and tell him he has to do it for the good of the franchise, or something like that.  Otherwise it's not going to happen.

The Sabres are now officially where the Bills were for decades with an aging Ralph Wilson.  As long as the current ownership structure remains the same, the team is going to suck.

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think I listened to that when it was first discussed on the forum.

A guy like Nolan was all fire and no brains.  Someone like Lindy, like Torts, like several others, are both fire and brains.  I understand your point about it's not his fire, its his ability to inspire fire in the players.  I don't think all the players are getting it or something.  Jack is Jack.  At this point he pretty reliably plays at the top of his abilities; he's not the problem.  But the whole team doesn't seem as excited to play.

Maybe a well-timed outburst on the bench would excite them.

The funny thing is that Pat LaFontaine is as good a hockey payer as has ever played in a Sabres uniform.  A hockey lifer.  And he is adamant that the best hockey coach he ever had, at any level, was Ted Nolan.

I agree Ted doesn't do Xs and Os, but where is Pat coming from with that statement?

Just now, Kruppstahl said:

The funny thing is that Pat LaFontaine is as good a hockey payer as has ever played in a Sabres uniform.  A hockey lifer.  And he is adamant that the best hockey coach he ever had, at any level, was Ted Nolan.

I agree Ted doesn't do Xs and Os, but where is Pat coming from with that statement?

Pat is a freelancer and Teddy let the boys play as long as they played with effort and intensity. 

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Yeah this kind of thing does absolutely nothing for me. 

He is an absolute master of corporate ***** speak.

He talks the way a motivational self-help book reads. Which makes sense, considering he is more a motivational self-help author than he is a hockey coach.

LOL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.