Curious case of Rasmus Dahlin

Norcal

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I figured someone bumped this thread due to Rasmus’s recent elevated level of play.  What I get is conjecture about other players we could have drafted.  Sigh.  

Well let me be the first, in some sort of bizarro world alternate reality, to pump this kids tires.  He’s looked like a completely different player.  Not hesitating because he doesn’t want to upset RK, using his well honed instincts to make plays and even prevent some of the opposition’s.  I’m not saying he’s arrived but I am on the Dahlin train.  He still gets a little too cutesy trying to break up plays with his stick but it works more often than not.  

I think he still has a way to go but it i thought it was a ":bump" for him as its another example that it takes time for these guys to reach their potential.  Im on the Dahlin train as well, eventually will be the most important and best player on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Not close.  If he was going to be Bobby Orr, we would know it by now.

As I've said before, we now know he will never even be a Norris Trophy candidate.

That ship has sailed.

There is a lot of room for improvement in his game, and he's going to get better, but he's nothing close to a Bobby Orr, just as Eichel is not close to a generational, once-in-20-years talent.

If Eichel was Canadian and it was an Olympic year, and NHL athletes were allowed in the Olympics again, he would not make the Canadian team.

Still a great player, and on his best day, probably something like the 10th best center in the league.

I dislike basically everything in here. I also disagree with everything except the Orr stuff. 

Lol the ship had sailed part. Lol. Lmmfao that the 20 year old kid will never even contend for a Norris. 

The eichel stuff at the end though is something. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Not close.  If he was going to be Bobby Orr, we would know it by now.

As I've said before, we now know he will never even be a Norris Trophy candidate.

That ship has sailed.

There is a lot of room for improvement in his game, and he's going to get better, but he's nothing close to a Bobby Orr, just as Eichel is not close to a generational, once-in-20-years talent.

If Eichel was Canadian and it was an Olympic year, and NHL athletes were allowed in the Olympics again, he would not make the Canadian team.

Still a great player, and on his best day, probably something like the 10th best center in the league.

(1) No one is Bobby Orr.  Don’t know why that is a knock against Dahlin.

(2) I call BS on the bolded.  I think if you go look at defensemen development curves, you will see lots and lots of bumps in the road ages 18-23ish, even for the Norris level players.  I believe that Dahlin will get there.

@dudacek said it perfect 

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Where recent Norris trophy winners were at age 20:

• Josi: Playing in the minors for Milwaukee, three years away from his first 40-point season
  • Giordano: Playing as an overager for the Owen Sound Attack in the OHL, 8 years away from his first 40-point season
  • Hedman: Putting up a 26-point season for the Lightning, three years away from his first 40-point season
  • Burns: Putting up 16 points as a rookie with the Wild, two years away from his first 40-point season
  • Doughty: Putting up 59 points as 2nd-year King
  • Karlsson: Putting up 45 points and -30 as a 2nd-year Senator
  • Keith: Playing in the minors with Norfolk, 5 years away from his first 40-point season
  • Subban: Playing in the minors with Hamilton, 4 years away from his first 40-point season
  • Lidstrom: Playing in Sweden, a year away from his 60-point rookie season in Detroit
  • Chara: Splitting time between the Islanders and the minors, 6 years away from his first 40-point season

I don't think ship has even loaded its cargo.

Thank you.  

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

• Josi: Playing in the minors for Milwaukee, three years away from his first 40-point season
  • Giordano: Playing as an overager for the Owen Sound Attack in the OHL, 8 years away from his first 40-point season
  • Hedman: Putting up a 26-point season for the Lightning, three years away from his first 40-point season
  • Burns: Putting up 16 points as a rookie with the Wild, two years away from his first 40-point season
  • Keith: Playing in the minors with Norfolk, 5 years away from his first 40-point season
  • Subban: Playing in the minors with Hamilton, 4 years away from his first 40-point season
  • Lidstrom: Playing in Sweden, a year away from his 60-point rookie season in Detroit
  • Chara: Splitting time between the Islanders and the minors, 6 years away from his first 40-point season

I don't think that ship has even loaded its cargo.

It is so easy to forget how young some players are. The human brain in males has not reached its full size until they turn 25 or so. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just a note to throw out there.  People are kind of blaming Steve Smith for Dahlin’s, I’ll say stunted, development the past two years.  One thing that I had forgotten was that Smith was actually on Housley’s staff as well during Dahlin’s rookie year.

So, we are not only seeing Dahlin without Krueger, but we are seeing Dahlin for the very first time without Smith as his defense coach.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes for him.  I’m optimistic so far.

16 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Heheh. If he continues to score goals like the one he scored last night, and set up power play goals like the one he set up last night, he will work his way into the conversation. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I just wanted to come back to this because this is so weird too.

(1) It’s about to be an Olympic year.

(2) NHL players are going to play.

(3) Eichel is injured right now so it makes perfect sense that he wouldn’t make the team.

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

I just wanted to come back to this because this is so weird too.

(1) It’s about to be an Olympic year.

(2) NHL players are going to play.

(3) Eichel is injured right now so it makes perfect sense that he wouldn’t make the team.

4) Eichel isn't Canadian

5) He is a right shot though and in a healthy year at worst would be a winger for Canada

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

4) Eichel isn't Canadian

5) He is a right shot though and in a healthy year at worst would be a winger for Canada

when healthy, there were only 4 forwards in the entire league that got more Hart trophy votes than he did - but no, not good enough to play on Team Canada

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Just a note to throw out there.  People are kind of blaming Steve Smith for Dahlin’s, I’ll say stunted, development the past two years.  One thing that I had forgotten was that Smith was actually on Housley’s staff as well during Dahlin’s rookie year.

So, we are not only seeing Dahlin without Krueger, but we are seeing Dahlin for the very first time without Smith as his defense coach.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes for him.  I’m optimistic so far.

I am curious to see how Girardi impacts Dahlin. Girardi played a very different style but was effective for a number of years. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am curious to see how Girardi impacts Dahlin. Girardi played a very different style but was effective for a number of years. 

Yeah, me too.  I don’t think it’s an issue that Girardi played a different style.  Girardi is hockey smart and Dahlin needs to learn when to take calculated chances and how to play correctly in his own end.  I think that’s the idea at least.

Dahlin doesn’t really need anyone to tell him how to play with the puck.

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, me too.  I don’t think it’s an issue that Girardi played a different style.  Girardi is hockey smart and Dahlin needs to learn when to take calculated chances and how to play correctly in his own end.  I think that’s the idea at least.

Dahlin doesn’t really need anyone to tell him how to play with the puck.

I wondered about Girardi on the goal that was almost a break the other way. Dahlin did something different there, he flubbed the pass, started moving towards it but did just try and poke at the puck and stop skating (which he did a lot this year). Instead he continued moving towards the puck and the result was he kept possession but the big thing was he kept attacking the puck. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

For the record I've been calling for Smith to be fired prior to him staying onboard with RK.  Nearly every single D that came here and played under Smith during his tenure here have regressed or disappointed.  He should not have been retained with RK and so glad he is gone.  I'll be interested to see how the next assistant does with our D but it can't be worse then Smith. 

23 hours ago, inkman said:

I figured someone bumped this thread due to Rasmus’s recent elevated level of play.  What I get is conjecture about other players we could have drafted.  Sigh.  

Well let me be the first, in some sort of bizarro world alternate reality, to pump this kids tires.  He’s looked like a completely different player.  Not hesitating because he doesn’t want to upset RK, using his well honed instincts to make plays and even prevent some of the opposition’s.  I’m not saying he’s arrived but I am on the Dahlin train.  He still gets a little too cutesy trying to break up plays with his stick but it works more often than not.  

I was spending my time talking about Chychrun because I've been pumping Dahlin's tires when everyone else was letting the air out 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I dislike basically everything in here. I also disagree with everything except the Orr stuff. 

Lol the ship had sailed part. Lol. Lmmfao that the 20 year old kid will never even contend for a Norris. 

The eichel stuff at the end though is something. 

Eichel was a top 10 centre last year, over the course of the entire season

On his "best day", mentioned upthread, he can be the best C in the world, I've seen it

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Everyone? I love Dahlin and still think he's going to be amazeballz

I was exaggerating for effect. This is like explaining a joke, now it's lost all meaning lol 

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

when healthy, there were only 4 forwards in the entire league that got more Hart trophy votes than he did - but no, not good enough to play on Team Canada

I think he was 6th in F voting (so 5 more F) but I agree with your point 

Did Draisaitl play C last year or was he on McD's wing? If he was on the wing, Eichel finished 3rd in league MVP voting among centres after only MacKinnon and McDavid

https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2020.html

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I wondered about Girardi on the goal that was almost a break the other way. Dahlin did something different there, he flubbed the pass, started moving towards it but did just try and poke at the puck and stop skating (which he did a lot this year). Instead he continued moving towards the puck and the result was he kept possession but the big thing was he kept attacking the puck. 

Agree 100%.  If that was the Rasmus playing under Kruger it would’ve been completely different, resulting in a break away and a goal against. 

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don't think that ship has even loaded its cargo.

This is wonderful. Thanks for putting in the work.  

On 4/6/2021 at 12:54 PM, Thorny said:

I was on record as wanting Chychrun that year. Nice to see him playing well 

I also wanted Chychrun, I really didn’t know much about Sergachev and was really disappointed after how Chychrun started. Didn’t know he was playing well but glad he’s found it. I got to see him quite a few times in the OHL and it was always a treat. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.