The NHL and the EBUG rule.

Eleven

The NHL is getting in its own way again.  It is "re-examining" the emergency back up goaltender "EBUG" rule.  This is stupid.

First, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Very rarely has an EBUG had to dress for a game.  Only twice in the expansion era has an EBUG played, according to something I read in The Athletic while I was on the can the other day.  (Here, have some eye bleach.)  That's twice in approximately 60,000 games, if memory serves.  That means "it ain't broke."

Second, EBUGs get eyes on screens.  Ryan Vinz dressing for (not playing in) a game made news.  Scott Foster playing 14 minutes for Chicago made big news.  David Ayres made intercontinental news.  He's been on talk shows; the highlights have been everywhere.  For once, people were talking about the NHL.  

The NHL is parched for publicity in the US sports marketplace.  Now it wants to fill the lone oasis with sand.  Not smart.

• Thanks (+1) 1

The inherent conflict of interest (Torrono goalie facing his mates) and the possibility, although almost infinitesimal, it could wreck a playoff game or series, maybe even the final... I lost my train of thought. It would be BAD, BAD! (Carvey as old man Bush)

That said, if incoherently, I have no idea how it's to be "fixed." You'd have to have a team of EBUGs travelling around the league every night, overseen by the league. Expensive. Nah gah dah, says Bettman.

Edited by PASabreFan

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The inherent conflict of interest (Torrono goalie facing his mates) and the possibility, although almost infinitesimal, it could wreck a playoff game or series, maybe even the final... I lost my train of thought. It would be BAD, BAD! (Carvey as old man Bush)

That said, if incoherently, I have no idea how it's to be "fixed." You'd have to have a team of EBUGs travelling around the league every night, overseen by the league. Expensive. Nah gah dah, says Bettman.

He wasn't a Toronto goalie, though; he's not even a Maple Leafs employee (contrary to some reports).  And if it happens in Game 7 of the Finals, oh, well.  Teams have lost series because four defensemen were injured; I don't see a problem with a team losing a series because two goalies went down.  

I have a dream that Gary Bettman will go away one day and be replaced by a completely different type of personality.

And that the transition in power will usher in a reactionary "back to our roots" era for the NHL.

This would involve going back to the old names for division and conferences and many other things.

I've been waiting so long for this to happen now, I don't think it is ever going to.

The NHL has been a horribly run organization for a very long time now, and that's not going to change any time soon.

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He wasn't a Toronto goalie, though; he's not even a Maple Leafs employee (contrary to some reports).  And if it happens in Game 7 of the Finals, oh, well.  Teams have lost series because four defensemen were injured; I don't see a problem with a team losing a series because two goalies went down.  

Oh correct me here ....

I thought he was a Toronto Marlies Zamboni driver and maintenance man. Marlies Is owned by MLSE. Which also owns Toronto Maple Leafs. He’s a life long Leafs fan.

Is any of that incorrect?

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Here's the thing, just let teams carry three goalies instead of two. Dress two every game and the third can sit in the press box unless they're needed.

I don't think you can really do that. No professional is going to sign up to sit around. If the third goalie is good enough, they're going to go somewhere they can get more playing time. If they're young, the team is going to send them down to get more experience.

NFL quarterbacks are a totally different situation. If you want to play, you have to get in line. There's no developmental league, so holding a clipboard is how you develop.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Why not? College teams do it. The NFL has plenty of backup QBs. There's no reason the NHL can't put its big boy pants on and let teams carry 3 goalies. 

Just because it is possible does not mean it is necessary.  It is unnecessary.  

15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Oh correct me here ....

I thought he was a Toronto Marlies Zamboni driver and maintenance man. Marlies Is owned by MLSE. Which also owns Toronto Maple Leafs. He’s a life long Leafs fan.

Is any of that incorrect?

That's all correct, but he works for the Marlies' arena, which is owned by the city of Toronto.

• Like (+1) 1

Trying to think of the NHL's perspective...

Doesn't it kinda of make the league look silly/unprofessional if a pro team has to dress an amateur to play in perhaps the most critical position?

Even if it does generate press, maybe they don't like the image it gives the league

Edited by erickompositör72

I would say the only tweak I would like to see is, any “emergency” goalie isn’t employed by a team or associates of a team. 
And isn’t a fan of either team that’s playing that he’s there for in an emergency capacity. And has at least some college or minor league experience. Other than that, I couldn’t care less if he was a pro or amateur years ago, or if he’s 21 years old or 45 years old. It happens so rarely there really isn’t a need to reinvent the wheel here.

It comes down to this, for me.   

We all have our DNA.   Do you prefer scrubbed contingency plans and rules always chasing last week’s problem with today’s solution, or do you prefer a world that delivers Ayers stories at the most unexpected times?

Ayers it is.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Neo said:

It comes down to this, for me.   

We all have our DNA.   Do you prefer scrubbed contingency plans and rules always chasing last week’s problem with today’s solution, or do you prefer a world that delivers Ayers stories at the most unexpected times?

Ayers it is.

The Ayers story is fun precisely because of how absurd it is that a supposedly professional sports league would allow something like it to happen. It's fun because it's comically 3rd rate. 

I don’t find it absurd or third rate.  Further, that’s neither precisely, generally, nor remotely why I found it fun.  What a human story!  I’ll remember Ayers long after I forget the score or the two teams involved.  It was a joyful moment for millions that better planning and a press box amateur could have prevented.  Hard pass.

We write rules fo sanitize life, make it orderly, or both...My need for, and tolerance of, those instincts is decidedly smaller than that of others.

Perhaps I’m absurd.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Neo said:

I don’t find it absurd or third rate.  Further, that’s neither precisely, generally, nor remotely why I found it fun.  What a human story!  I’ll remember Ayers long after I forget the score or the two teams involved.  It was a joyful moment for millions that better planning and a press box amateur could have prevented.  Hard pass.

We write rules fo sanitize life, make it orderly, or both...My need for, and tolerance of, those instincts is decidedly smaller than that of others.

Perhaps I’m absurd.

Believe me, I like it. But you have to think the NHL brass doesn't like how it makes their league look compared to the other pro leagues. 

I like our garbage sport. 

• Like (+1) 1

The David Ayers story should be the basis for a feature film starring Adam Sandler.

42 year old former AHL backup, turned Zamboni driver gets a once in a lifetime shot to get into an NHL game.  In the film, he throws a shutout and wins the game in dramatic fashion.  The struggling NHL team, whose goalies have been bad all season decides to start him again, and again, and again as he keeps giving stellar performances.  The team is galvanized by their new star goalie and he carries them deep into the playoffs.  I’m not sure how it should end.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

The David Ayers story should be the basis for a feature film starring Adam Sandler.

42 year old former AHL backup, turned Zamboni driver gets a once in a lifetime shot to get into an NHL game.  In the film, he throws a shutout and wins the game in dramatic fashion.  The struggling NHL team, whose goalies have been bad all season decides to start him again, and again, and again as he keeps giving stellar performances.  The team is galvanized by their new star goalie and he carries them deep into the playoffs.  I’m not sure how it should end.

Probably heartbreak

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

The opposing goalie in a SCF game seven goes down with a sprained ankle in the third period of the tied game...  as does his back up.  The camera cuts to his son, a twenty two year old rink rat who’s cleaning the ice with a shovel during the stoppage.

Make the other team play crossbar.

Seriously tho, i like the disaster goalie option.

I could see Risto being a decent disaster goalie.   Or if your going to give Reinhart $7mil then make him play goalie if needed.

Would rather see a known player have to play out of position than some dude I've never heard of.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Make the other team play crossbar.

Seriously tho, i like the disaster goalie option.

I could see Risto being a decent disaster goalie.   Or if your going to give Reinhart $7mil then make him play goalie if needed.

Would rather see a known player have to play out of position than some dude I've never heard of.

I think this is allowed under the present rule.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.