Prediction time: what is TP going to do about JB?

nfreeman

What is TP gonna do about JB?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Has TP already decided on whether he is going to fire JB after this season?

• Yes -- TP has seen enough and is going to give JB at least one more year.
    • Yes -- TP has seen enough and is going to can JB regardless of what happens in the last 17 games.
    • No -- he's going to see how the team finishes the year, consider their final point total and evaluate whether there has been enough progress before he decides.
  2. 2. If TP is going to wait and consider the final point total before determining whether to keep JB, how many points do they need to finish with in order for TP to keep JB on another year? They have 66 pts now. They had 76 last year and 78 in TM's final season.)

• More than 92
    • Total points don't matter -- only a playoff berth will save JB
  3. 3. If you were advising TP as to whether to keep JB, what would you tell him?

• You've seen enough -- get rid of JB regardless of how the season ends.
    • You've seen enough -- keep JB for another season regardless of how this season ends and don't install a hockey czar/president.
    • You've seen enough -- keep JB for another season regardless of how this season ends, but find a hockey czar/president who evaluates JB and signs off on all major hockey decisions.
    • Wait until we see how the team finishes the year, consider their final point total and evaluate whether there has been enough progress before deciding.

32 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

While I enjoy reading on analysis that "this years draft class will be deep", more often than not, that is not the case. Personally, I don't view this draft class from Over All 3rd pick on up to being any kind of an immediate game contributor. And Bayfield is suspect based on his skating speed, and it is suspect, regardless of the hockey world pundits. Go ahead, review his game video's, I have. It's not exactly hyperdrive, if you know what I mean. Not saying I am right, but the "tale of the video evidence" doesn't exactly lie either.

So, the draft is nice and all, but at the end of the day, outside of lottery balling in to 1st overall, don't expect immediate draft help.

The Sabres aren't building for the future, they are in the "Here and Now" stage, given the age's of their core star players. It's either now, or never, so to speak.

1) Byfield 

2) His speed is ok, his agility is pretty good.  Neither is a weakness, for a player of any size.  For a player of his size, both are well above average.  He is not an explosive skater with high acceleration, true.  However, big long legged players often don’t appear to get going as fast because of their long strides.  Small guys with quick short strides always look like they get going faster.  All this is to say that I think you are exaggerating any weakness in Byfield’s skating.

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

1) Byfield 

2) His speed is ok, his agility is pretty good.  Neither is a weakness, for a player of any size.  For a player of his size, both are well above average.  He is not an explosive skater with high acceleration, true.  However, big long legged players often don’t appear to get going as fast because of their long strides.  Small guys with quick short strides always look like they get going faster.  All this is to say that I think you are exaggerating any weakness in Byfield’s skating.

While I agree with your assessment, I do not agree on Byfield. I've watched quite a bit of the video on this kid, almost 4 hours worth. Not seeing it. He often lags behind on turning back up ice for D play, he also appears to be 2nd or 3rd man in on rushes up ice. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but outside of his highlight reel video's the ones I watched from his team sight show significantly reduced speed up and down the ice in a 200 ft game. I could be wrong, but normally, the eyes tell the story. We shall see in the future.

25 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

While I agree with your assessment, I do not agree on Byfield. I've watched quite a bit of the video on this kid, almost 4 hours worth. Not seeing it. He often lags behind on turning back up ice for D play, he also appears to be 2nd or 3rd man in on rushes up ice. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but outside of his highlight reel video's the ones I watched from his team sight show significantly reduced speed up and down the ice in a 200 ft game. I could be wrong, but normally, the eyes tell the story. We shall see in the future.

Could you be so kind as to send a link to the page with the video you were watching?  I’m not going to watch 4 HRs, but I’d like to take a look.

26 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Just type in quinton byfield game videos and start rolling through them. The highlights are at the top, then go from there.

Sorry, I thought you had said you watched video on the Sudbury team site, and I wasn’t seeing any there, but you didn’t actually say that.  I’ve got a little more to say on the subject, but I’m going over to the more appropriate 2020 Draft Prospects thread.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Sorry, I thought you had said you watched video on the Sudbury team site, and I wasn’t seeing any there, but you didn’t actually say that.  I’ve got a little more to say on the subject, but I’m going over to the more appropriate 2020 Draft Prospects thread.

Some of them are from his team sight, some from others. Just take the time to roll through them. Trust me, I wouldn't say it unless I did. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.