Prediction time: what is TP going to do about JB?

nfreeman

What is TP gonna do about JB?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Has TP already decided on whether he is going to fire JB after this season?

• Yes -- TP has seen enough and is going to give JB at least one more year.
    • Yes -- TP has seen enough and is going to can JB regardless of what happens in the last 17 games.
    • No -- he's going to see how the team finishes the year, consider their final point total and evaluate whether there has been enough progress before he decides.
  2. 2. If TP is going to wait and consider the final point total before determining whether to keep JB, how many points do they need to finish with in order for TP to keep JB on another year? They have 66 pts now. They had 76 last year and 78 in TM's final season.)

• More than 92
    • Total points don't matter -- only a playoff berth will save JB
  3. 3. If you were advising TP as to whether to keep JB, what would you tell him?

• You've seen enough -- get rid of JB regardless of how the season ends.
    • You've seen enough -- keep JB for another season regardless of how this season ends and don't install a hockey czar/president.
    • You've seen enough -- keep JB for another season regardless of how this season ends, but find a hockey czar/president who evaluates JB and signs off on all major hockey decisions.
    • Wait until we see how the team finishes the year, consider their final point total and evaluate whether there has been enough progress before deciding.

OK, so we know that TP wants stability and a professionally run organization, and doesn't like the reputation that the Sabres have for hiring and firing people too often.

We also know that he doesn't like being embarrassed -- and that there have been a few incidents this year (a number of trade demands from players, Duane's call going national, the Scandella trade debacle) that have been embarrassing in addition to the chronic suckitude.

We also know that TP has poured a huge amount of cash into the franchise, has almost certainly lost millions of dollars each year and has nothing to show for it other than a perennially crappy team, a ton of empty seats and a fan base that is both increasingly fed up and apathetic.

We also know that there are rumblings from respectable sources that TP is considering getting rid of JB.

And we know that they have 66 pts with 17 games left.

What is TP gonna do?

I voted that he is going to wait and see how the season ends up, that the minimum points to save JB is 86 and that I would advise him to wait and see before deciding.

IMO Regier was let go due to market pressure (fans) and not job performance.  I think Jbotts future rests in the hands of fan reaction as well.  If the end of the season has the fans in revolt yet again, Jbott doesn't stand a chance.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

IMO Regier was let go due to market pressure (fans) and not job performance.  I think Jbotts future rests in the hands of fan reaction as well.  If the end of the season has the fans in revolt yet again, Jbott doesn't stand a chance.

This. Its why I’ve been saying the finish matters.

Look at the difference on here between a three game win streak and a three game losing streak.

Terry doesn’t want to fire Botterill. Outside pressure will affect his decision.

Edited by dudacek

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

OK, so we know that TP wants stability and a professionally run organization, and doesn't like the reputation that the Sabres have for hiring and firing people too often.

We also know that he doesn't like being embarrassed -- and that there have been a few incidents this year (a number of trade demands from players, Duane's call going national, the Scandella trade debacle) that have been embarrassing in addition to the chronic suckitude.

We also know that TP has poured a huge amount of cash into the franchise, has almost certainly lost millions of dollars each year and has nothing to show for it other than a perennially crappy team, a ton of empty seats and a fan base that is both increasingly fed up and apathetic.

We also know that there are rumblings from respectable sources that TP is considering getting rid of JB.

What is TP gonna do?

I voted that he is going to wait and see how the season ends up, that the minimum points to save JB is 86 and that I would advise him to wait and see before deciding.

17 games left and need 11 points just to beat last year. Can we get 6 wins with this schedule?  Maybe but I’m not impressed with a 4 or 5 point Improvment... we needed to see at least 12-15 minimal.  

For Question 2, I voted "Points don't matter" but not because we have to make the playoffs.  Obviously that's not happening. 

But I don't think point total is the key; I think the way the team plays will matter more, coupled with the atmosphere in the building.

For example, a prolonged losing streak combined with lackluster performance and frequent booing at home games deep into March/April would go a long way toward forcing Pegula's hand, IMO.

There has never been a greater need for FAN INVOLVEMENT at the games!  

SABRES FANS, PLEASE ENGAGE IN SOME BREATHING EXERCISES.  BOO AS LOUD AS YOU CAN, FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN AT ALL HOME GAMES.

The following chant would be very useful too:  "HEY HEY, HO HO, BOTTERILL HAS GOT TO GO!  HEY HEY, HO HO, BOTTERILL HAS GOT TO GO!"

• Haha (+1) 1

I think he has until Thanksgiving assuming he signs a 2C and continues to improve the middle 6 of the roster after July 1st.  If they are struggling before the holidays: he's gone.  If they are competitive but don't make the playoffs next year: he's gone. 

Edit: added "6" for clarity

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

3 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I think he has until Thanksgiving assuming he signs a 2C and continues to improve the middle of the roster after July 1st.  If they are struggling before the holidays: he's gone.  If they are competitive but don't make the playoffs next year: he's gone. 

There are literally no decent #2 centers who will even be on the UFA market this summer. In fact this might be the worst UFA crop of the post lockout era. 

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

There are literally no decent #2 centers who will even be on the UFA market this summer. In fact this might be the worst UFA crop of the post lockout era. 

I also think he will have to make a trade for a 2C.  Top 6 forwards (wingers specifically) he can get after July 1st.

Didn’t vote. TP needs to look in the mirror. What kind of idiot would hire a first time GM who in turn hires a first time coach ( really do 48 games of a throw away season count ?  ) to run a historically bad team ? We’d be in the playoffs now had he not only hired a experienced gm but one with big enough balls to tell TP to stay the hell out of his way while he straightened this mess out.

1 minute ago, bunomatic said:

Didn’t vote. TP needs to look in the mirror. What kind of idiot would hire a first time GM who in turn hires a first time coach ( really do 48 games of a throw away season count ?  ) to run a historically bad team ? We’d be in the playoffs now had he not only hired a experienced gm but one with big enough balls to tell TP to stay the hell out of his way while he straightened this mess out.

Actually, yeah, they do.  They gave out a Stanley Cup and everything.

Yeah, sure, because that’s what everyone tells their boss on their first day of work.

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, sure, because that’s what everyone tells their boss on their first day of work.

Did I ask you ? Lol

also i call my boss out all the time. I have balls. Also I’m still standing. My boss respects me. You know what he doesn’t like ? Mice. Terry likes yes men. And therein lies the problem. Terry needs to go play lawn bowling.

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

Did I ask you ? Lol

also i call my boss out all the time. I have balls. Also I’m still standing. My boss respects me. You know what he doesn’t like ? Mice. Terry likes yes men. And therein lies the problem. Terry needs to go play lawn bowling.

Yeah, you asked everyone, lol.

I do understand what you mean.  Any good boss can appreciate people challenging them.  However, if you challenge them, but they insist on a particular course of action, your option are limited, because in the end they are the boss.

Have you ever challenged your boss, but your boss says: no, I feel it’s really important to do it this way, and for these reasons?  Did you then say that you respectfully disagree, or did you tell them to stay the hell out of your way?

Im assuming you still are employed, so it’s probably closer to the first thing.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Yeah, you asked everyone, lol.

I do understand what you mean.  Any good boss can appreciate people challenging them.  However, if you challenge them, but they insist on a particular course of action, your option are limited, because in the end they are the boss.

Have you ever challenged your boss, but your boss says: no, I feel it’s really important to do it this way, and for these reasons?  Did you then say that you respectfully disagree, or did you tell them to stay the hell out of your way?

Im assuming you still are employed, so it’s probably closer to the first thing.

I certainly don’t challenge him with the thoughts that I’m omnipotent or something like that. Its always with the knowledge that it’ll lead to discussion or he’ll say thank you for the input but we’ll do it my way. Sometimes it goes the other way. He’s yet to send me packing and we’ve had some real doozies over the years. If I was a GM with experience and TP clearly has shown that he knows next to nothing about running an NHL team based on historic results, i’d lay my cards out with the knowledge it might get me shitcanned. I’d rather that then have TP or anyone tell me how to do my job. The thought of being a yes man grates me to the bone. Wouldn’t do it. 

8 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

I certainly don’t challenge him with the thoughts that I’m omnipotent or something like that. Its always with the knowledge that it’ll lead to discussion or he’ll say thank you for the input but we’ll do it my way. Sometimes it goes the other way. He’s yet to send me packing and we’ve had some real doozies over the years. If I was a GM with experience and TP clearly has shown that he knows next to nothing about running an NHL team based on historic results, i’d lay my cards out with the knowledge it might get me shitcanned. I’d rather that then have TP or anyone tell me how to do my job. The thought of being a yes man grates me to the bone. Wouldn’t do it. 

I'm pretty much on your side in this.  This is why I have wanted an experienced PHO for a long time, b/c I think Pegula needs someone like that to tell him what's going on in clear language, and who actually knows what's going on in the first place.  And someone who slots in between ownership and the GM, b/c the GM is always going to cheat toward self preservation, surely as Botterill is doing right now.  You need another layer there to act as the intelligent Pegula, b/c Pegula is not intelligent himself (in this context).  

Terry may have experience at running a fracking company but he quite clearly doesn't know jack ***** about running a hockey team, or the sport of hockey in general.  He's the least informed "big hockey fan" you've ever known.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/1/2020 at 10:21 AM, nfreeman said:

What is TP gonna do?

funny way of showing it

5 hours ago, Curt said:

Terry as boss can't be the right analogy. I know nothing about car dealerships. If I buy one am I the boss? It just doesn't work. This, not coronavirus, will be the death of me. And very possibly the Sabres.

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Terry as boss can't be the right analogy. I know nothing about car dealerships. If I buy one am I the boss? It just doesn't work. This, not coronavirus, will be the death of me. And very possibly the Sabres.

If you bought a car dealership, then, yes, you would be the boss.  You would be able to go in and demand that things are done your way, even if you don’t have a clue what you are talking about.  Seems like a decent analogy for TP to me.

OR you could hire competent people, go back to whatever else you do, and check up on them once every week or two to make sure everything is going ok.  Which is what I think you are getting at.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/1/2020 at 10:44 AM, dudacek said:

This. Its why I’ve been saying the finish matters.

Look at the difference on here between a three game win streak and a three game losing streak.

Terry doesn’t want to fire Botterill. Outside pressure will affect his decision.

This is an unbelievably bad state of affairs if this is true. Truly haunting. 

Edited by Thorny

To me the thought is very simple:

The Sabres will sort of be working with a 'clean slate' going into 2020-2021: Big decisions to make on the roster with a lot of RFA's and UFA's.

The 2020 NHL Entry Draft is VERY deep all the way to the 15th pick, oodles of talent coming in. IF the Sabres are lucky enough to get into the Top 3 that would be huge for the organization.

Plus you have Jack Eichel, a true franchise player in every respect, and a soon to be franchise defenseman in Rasmus Dahlin, who eventually will be up for a contract.

All TP, KP and the organization have to truly answer is this:

With this off season being extremely crucial for how the Sabres will look for the foreseeable future, do you TRULY and i mean TRULY trust Jason Botterill to put his hands all over this team?

When you analyze his drafts, the trades and the contracts that he has given out, can you trust him?

Also, based on the on the ice performance and the fact this team was 9-2-1 and will be under .500 sooner then later, if the answer to this is YES, then there are MUCH bigger issues with the Sabres then just who the GM is.

If they don't fire his arse, hire a President like Drury as an example, get an experienced and savvy GM, PSE will reap what they sow with a half empty arena for years, and we will all get to watch Eichel force his way out and cementing the Buffalo Sabres as THE laughing stock of the entire NHL.

It's THAT important.

WAKE UP TP

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

To me the thought is very simple:

The Sabres will sort of be working with a 'clean slate' going into 2020-2021: Big decisions to make on the roster with a lot of RFA's and UFA's.

The 2020 NHL Entry Draft is VERY deep all the way to the 15th pick, oodles of talent coming in. IF the Sabres are lucky enough to get into the Top 3 that would be huge for the organization.

Plus you have Jack Eichel, a true franchise player in every respect, and a soon to be franchise defenseman in Rasmus Dahlin, who eventually will be up for a contract.

All TP, KP and the organization have to truly answer is this:

With this off season being extremely crucial for how the Sabres will look for the foreseeable future, do you TRULY and i mean TRULY trust Jason Botterill to put his hands all over this team?

When you analyze his drafts, the trades and the contracts that he has given out, can you trust him?

Also, based on the on the ice performance and the fact this team was 9-2-1 and will be under .500 sooner then later, if the answer to this is YES, then there are MUCH bigger issues with the Sabres then just who the GM is.

If they don't fire his arse, hire a President like Drury as an example, get an experienced and savvy GM, PSE will reap what they sow with a half empty arena for years, and we will all get to watch Eichel force his way out and cementing the Buffalo Sabres as THE laughing stock of the entire NHL.

It's THAT important.

WAKE UP TP

While I enjoy reading on analysis that "this years draft class will be deep", more often than not, that is not the case. Personally, I don't view this draft class from Over All 3rd pick on up to being any kind of an immediate game contributor. And Bayfield is suspect based on his skating speed, and it is suspect, regardless of the hockey world pundits. Go ahead, review his game video's, I have. It's not exactly hyperdrive, if you know what I mean. Not saying I am right, but the "tale of the video evidence" doesn't exactly lie either.

So, the draft is nice and all, but at the end of the day, outside of lottery balling in to 1st overall, don't expect immediate draft help.

The Sabres aren't building for the future, they are in the "Here and Now" stage, given the age's of their core star players. It's either now, or never, so to speak.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.