Who is replacing Botterill? No, really ...

Zamboni

I do wonder, if Pegula paying out all of these contracts he continues to terminate early (coaches/GMs), and with what Brawndo mentions of Pegula and the Hurricanes deal, it they won't fire Botterill because of the economic impacts of COVID-19. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure natural resources are taking quite a hit in the market right now 

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1

If they have a season next year, they will have had the draft, a free agency, things to get teams ready for next year. 

I'm of the belief that there will be some form of season next year.

Even if that time to get teams ready is abbreviated or abnormal, there will be time for teams to make management changes should they wish to. 

Nothing about quarantine and coronavirus makes Jason's ***** forward depth any better looking. If they want to fire him they're still going to fire him, it's just hard to imagine when on day [single digit] of an extended quarantine which will see some ugly stuff in hospitals close to home. 

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If they have a season next year, they will have had the draft, a free agency, things to get teams ready for next year. 

I'm of the belief that there will be some form of season next year.

Even if that time to get teams ready is abbreviated or abnormal, there will be time for teams to make management changes should they wish to. 

Nothing about quarantine and coronavirus makes Jason's ***** forward depth any better looking. If they want to fire him they're still going to fire him, it's just hard to imagine when on day [single digit] of an extended quarantine which will see some ugly stuff in hospitals close to home. 

Objectively it makes sense to make a change, but Pegula's wallet may dissuade him 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think firing a GM would come under the heading of Wuhan HR issues.  If they can let go of their 716 staff, they can let go of Jbot if they choose.  It might not look good for PR, but if that was the plan, they'd probably let him know not to sign anyone.

They need someone to steer the organization through the crisis and they aren’t going to be flying a lot of replacement candidates in for interviews.

That said, the odd way the season ended and the odd way hockey may return could play a role in saving Jason’s job if Pegula was still on the fence two weeks ago.

1 hour ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Yeah.  No signings would be happening if he weren't coming back.

Drat it.

GMs will keep right on working up to they’re not, just like any other worker facing firing.

Prominent example was Chiarelli signing the goalie the day before he was canned.

6 hours ago, WildCard said:

I do wonder, if Pegula paying out all of these contracts he continues to terminate early (coaches/GMs), and with what Brawndo mentions of Pegula and the Hurricanes deal, it they won't fire Botterill because of the economic impacts of COVID-19. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure natural resources are taking quite a hit in the market right now 

I’m really starting to wonder if the Pegula’s are facing a liquidity crunch. Large NFL contracts, losing money on the Sabres, natural gas market in the toilet, stock market depressed, and paying out contracts to fired employees no longer on the team. They also have invested a lot in downtown and need money to replace both Key Bank and New Era. It’s also pretty clear that government assistance is not coming for stadium/arena renovation or construction.  Maybe they are no longer quite as well off as they used to be. 

8 hours ago, freester said:

I’m really starting to wonder if the Pegula’s are facing a liquidity crunch. Large NFL contracts, losing money on the Sabres, natural gas market in the toilet, stock market depressed, and paying out contracts to fired employees no longer on the team. They also have invested a lot in downtown and need money to replace both Key Bank and New Era. It’s also pretty clear that government assistance is not coming for stadium/arena renovation or construction.  Maybe they are no longer quite as well off as they used to be. 

Pegula sold his NG business to Shell.  My understanding is that he may still own the land they drill on, but don't hold me to that.  I doubt he is in a cash crunch, but it is possible. The Bills and Sabres seem to be operating as normal as possible.  We probably won't see the full impact of this until renewals are do for the Sabres.

22 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Pegula sold his NG business to Shell.  My understanding is that he may still own the land they drill on, but don't hold me to that.  I doubt he is in a cash crunch, but it is possible. The Bills and Sabres seem to be operating as normal as possible.  We probably won't see the full impact of this until renewals are do for the Sabres.

There is an entire thread to be found on other Sabres sites discussing Pegula's business holdings, his downturn in fortune at the moment, and the fact that arguments can be made in support of the idea that he is pinching pennies right now.

Apparently exhibit A in all of this is the state of the arena, which is said to be a poorly maintained dump.  I haven't been in it for several years now. 

Exhibit B is his failure to buy out certain contracts when that would have seemed the right thing to do, in both organizations. 

And so on.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 3/1/2020 at 1:25 AM, PerreaultForever said:

I saw this live, in the Aud.  Dudley pounded Kelly, knocked him down a few times, we went crazy.   But Kelly, nicknamed “Hound Dog”, was never going to let go or give up.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.