Who is replacing Botterill? No, really ...

Zamboni

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

Is the bearded one still available?  Elevate RK to GM if there is truth to people saying he's a better fit in upper management and bring the bearded one in as coach.

This tale has been repeated far too often on here. RK isn’t a good coach besides supposedly being “motivational” and has no idea how to turn things around. I have no idea why anyone would think if he goes up to the GM seat that he’d magically all of a sudden know how to fix this team. The answer is NOT to move RK upstairs. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ... said:

source.gif

You do realise that this gesture was followed by the following dialogue, right?

Countess: Be careful, my dear.  He's not as stupid as he seems.

Count: My dear, *nobody* could be as stupid as he seems.

11 hours ago, jad1 said:

I think this team is causing the good people on this board to lose their minds.

Nah.  Mislaid them?  Sure.

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Tondas said:

I'm gonna keep on saying this:

image.png.b9d4a5fe99a3cef375e5620607dcd0d5.png

I like Rick Dudley and would KILL to have him as our HC (with his roster) right now.  These games would be a hell of a lot more entertaining than they are.

Having said that, he is not the way forward as GM in the year 2020.

A huge part of this franchise's problems over the decades has been its tendency to hire from within and keep the organization inbred.  No former Sabres please!  

Hire from outside the organization with a focus on good credentialed up and comers, if it is at all possible to attract such people to Buffalo these days.  It  may well be not.

Kinda interesting that ex GMTM was brought in to actually lose and tank and get what was suppose to me McDavid. With our dreaded curse, we of course lost the 1st pick and as a consolation prize got Jack. Jack, truth be known, is no McDavid (but very good). After failing to get McDavid GMTM made one of the biggest steals in recent NHL history getting ROR for not much of anything. He also got EK (a premier power forward) and lehner for goal and to be honest I really thought that this team was heading in the right direction. I still think we'd be better off if we stayed put and still had that team.

Anyways, ex GMTM gets the boot and in comes JBotto who's  mandate is to rebuild and win. Well his rebuild has been anything but stellar and we are not winning much more then we were. So the question becomes why some are so quick to give JBotto a pass for yet another year (year 4) when ex GMTM only got 3 years and he was ordered or rold to throw away at least one or two of those years by upper management.  

Either way, I miss LINDY... (and Darcy for that matter). remember when this team had passion and heart ???? That left when Lindy got run out of town.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Liger with someone behind him to handle the cap mathematics.

Yes I would seriously give him a shot.

LGR4GM!!!!!

At least I wouldn't be dumb enough to add Frolic or allow bogo to sit around for years being useless. Lol but in all seriousness, they need to hire an experienced front office that believes in data. 

Edited by LGR4GM

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

At least I wouldn't be dumb enough to add Frolic or allow bogo to sit around for years being useless. Lol but in all seriousness, they need to hire an experienced front office that believes in data. 

See I don’t know… Some fans would think that it’s more important to rely on how a player makes you feel or eye tests rather than data. 

7 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I like Rick Dudley and would KILL to have him as our HC (with his roster) right now.  These games would be a hell of a lot more entertaining than they are.

Having said that, he is not the way forward as GM in the year 2020.

A huge part of this franchise's problems over the decades has been its tendency to hire from within and keep the organization inbred.  No former Sabres please!  

Hire from outside the organization with a focus on good credentialed up and comers, if it is at all possible to attract such people to Buffalo these days.  It  may well be not.

Well, I think this was the idea with GMTM and JB (although a few of us at the time noted that Ottawa was generally pretty lousy while GMTM was there).

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Um no .... it’s just a fun/interesting exercise to see if anyone has a good handle on who is out there. Realistically....

You can avoid the topic if you don’t know any names.  No worries. I don’t know many either. I don’t follow too many GMs or their assistants. I was genuinely curious as to who is out there. No gotcha games. Don’t assume I have a point I didn’t type please. I typed what I meant.... 

so far Dudley, Shero, and Bergevin... no other names? 

OK, sorry. I must have mistaken you for the poster who was rather adamant that any call for (insert name of coach or GM)'s head must be accompanied by the name of his replacement.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I don’t know what this is referring to.

He was the GM of the Leafs from around 2003 to 2009, basically the guy who was responsible for a lot of their bad teams prior to the Mathews era. If memory serves, they made the playoffs his first year, then missed seven straight, or something like that.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Curt said:

I’ll play.  I made a list of possible candidates.  Not all are well know, because they were not all good players, but all seem probably qualified.  I split up those who have/have not previously been GM’s.  I focused more on 1st time guys.

Re-Treads:

Ray Shero, Mike Gillis, Ron Hextall, Dean Lombardi 

First Timers:

Tyler Dellow, Pat Verbeek, Chris Drury, Bill Zito, Miroslav Satan, John Ferguson, Laurence Gilman, Dan MacKinnon, Ryan Martin, Mark Hunter

Satan was a creeper. Now he’s GM material?  Never see miss Pegula hiring him

57 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Satan was a creeper. Now he’s GM material?  Never see miss Pegula hiring him

He has been GM for Team Europe and he is President of the Slovak IHF.

What is so creepy about him?  That’s news to me.

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I think this was the idea with GMTM and JB (although a few of us at the time noted that Ottawa was generally pretty lousy while GMTM was there).

Exactly. Fans keep clamoring for new and up and coming. Repeat of what we've had seems to me. I want experience.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Rick Dudley and put Gallant behind the bench.  Trade Sam or Risto for a 2C and try to sign a top 6 forward and a goalie.  

Love this but you have to give up both Risto AND  Sam to get a legit #2 Center....or one of them and a 1st rounder 

• Like (+1) 1

Mike Gillis, has experience as a GM in building teams to satisfy those who do not want another rookie GM

He also has attended multiple hockey analytics conferences including the one in Rochester for those looking for someone who should bring in a larger analytics department.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.