Rumor: About Botterill’s Future Being in Doubt

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Yeah as I said yesterday, that interview on WGR was quite telling.  It's like he is talking about a completely different team then what we are all watching.  It was obvious to me we were screwed when I saw the return on the ROR trade.  Over my dead body would I of made that deal.

An interview or two ago (Botterill with Schopp and Bulldog) Mike asked who is an up and coming developmental guy in the system, or something like that.  Botterill responded by talking about Reinhart!  That was his go-to name for a guy who has improved and was developed well in the organization.  Mike thought he was asking about someone maybe not even in Rochester yet, and the GM talks about Reinhart. 

Since then, Mike has referenced that question and answer a few times on the air, because it represents to him just how clueless Botterill is, and how he doesn't really have any answers.

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Oh yeah, that guy they're paying $9m for scoring 40g next to Eichel, only to move him away from Eichel for the entire ***** season?

Yeah, good one Sabres, brilliant asset management.     They'll probably give Reinhart $8mil out of desperation and play him with Girgensons and Okposo next season,  then wonder why nobody is producing.

The surface view of this really does look cartoonish, shooting ourselves in the foot. 

32 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

An interview or two ago (Botterill with Schopp and Bulldog) Mike asked who is an up and coming developmental guy in the system, or something like that.  Botterill responded by talking about Reinhart!  That was his go-to name for a guy who has improved and was developed well in the organization.  Mike thought he was asking about someone maybe not even in Rochester yet, and the GM talks about Reinhart. 

Since then, Mike has referenced that question and answer a few times on the air, because it represents to him just how clueless Botterill is, and how he doesn't really have any answers.

I remember this. The only other name he said was UPL. Botterill thinking Reinhart is developing is troublesome. We know what Reinhart is, just like we know what Risto is. 

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Listening to Jason's interview finally. He just said how tough it would be to beat a team for a third time in one season (Pittsburgh). It's an atrociously dumb way of looking at a game.

It seemed like he was trying to paint the potential loss upcoming in as best a light possible "well, we lost, but it woulda been CRAZY to expect us to SWEEP the vaunted Penguins!" 

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It seemed like he was trying to paint the potential loss upcoming in as best a light possible "well, we lost, but it woulda been CRAZY to expect us to SWEEP the vaunted Penguins!" 

I have never in my life looked at a management group like this one and thought, "there is 0 chance they manage to make the needed changes for long term success" until right now. I think Botterill and the Pegulas need a reality check. They have driven this franchise into the ground. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Not even that. It's an old saying in sports that it's tough to sweep a team in the regular season or playoffs. It really doesn't make sense. It's the gambler's fallacy, I think. Beating a team the third time in a row isn't harder than beating a team the first time.

Edited by PASabreFan

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Listening to Jason's interview finally. He just said how tough it would be to beat a team for a third time in one season (Pittsburgh). It's an atrociously dumb way of looking at a game.

FACT: anytime someone listens to Jason Botterill speak, their IQ drops a full 10 points or more.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Nighhtengale either has no influence or provides poor guidance, but it's not a Botterill thing--the apparent lack of use of stats stretches across 3 GMs now

So it's still a Botterill thing, he's doing it. 

7 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I expect him to sound competent when talking about hockey in general, and about things his team needs. He is talking about things that this team needs, only he's doing it incoherently. This is how these interviews have gone for three years, and this questionable projection of hockey intellegence couples quite nicely to the bizarre moves we've seen the last three years, and makes our on-ice results make a lot of sense. 

I've never heard a GM sound less polished, not in public-speaking ability, but in understanding of what makes a successful hockey team. I don't purport to know how that should sound, but I am capable of comparing, and all Jason does is list off the most recent games in order, recapping what happens, and saying he likes that Ralph will continue to focus on the little things, we like our group, player A doesn't have as many goals so we just need to find his chemistry etc. etc. It's like he's unaware that all teams oscillate above and below a baseline level that represents their true abilities, sometimes playing better, sometimes playing worse. He takes those brief moments we spend playing well and talks like that should be our baseline, and would be if not for some mysterious factors, and seems to think that a conversion of our team's baseline to this level should be trivial and not related to roster construction.

He says the weirdest things. He doesn't have the foresight to see how stupid it makes him look when we fail short of a stated goal literally days after he states it as the goal. He sets himself up for ridicule. He says the goal is meaningful games in March and we haven't won a game since. We in fact did not get meaningful games in March. 

He's making it really easy for this failure to reach stated goals to play out, abundantly clear, for everyone to see. 

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Not even that. It's an old saying in sports that it's tough to sweep a team in the regular season or playoffs. It really doesn't make sense. It's the gambler's fallacy, I think. Beating a team the third time in a row isn't harder than beating a team the first time.

I think it actually has merit in something like the NFL where teams break down their opponent over the course of a week. 

Not so in the NHL. 

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

And that is why we lose.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I have never in my life looked at a management group like this one and thought, "there is 0 chance they manage to make the needed changes for long term success" until right now. I think Botterill and the Pegulas need a reality check. They have driven this franchise into the ground. 

Yes indeed.  I am still worried he trades Risto or Montour and we get garbage back once again.  

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

And that is why we lose.  

The bar has been set so low. Its embarrassing. But setting the bar low for JBottom is self preservation. He likes little steps rather than getting on with it and getting positive results. Prolly sold Terry on the slow climb.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Soooo....we’re witnessing the fall of Saigon, right?  Everyone’s getting fired?

Let’s hope. We can potentially overtake everyone except the Red Wings in the race to the bottom. Firing Botteril and drafting Lafreniere would restore hope to the fans. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

That is the last thing i would blame gm for. It does look pretty depressing though 

I was fine with it at first, but hearing Botterill talking about it being a good move because we now have a better chance to sign Simmonds is just laughable. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.