Rumor: About Botterill’s Future Being in Doubt

Brawndo

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Hard to find much solid evidence of what Botterill had done to improve the roster in 3 full seasons. A few good pick ups but more misses.   Rochester is better but the pool of prospects is not overflowing.  The Sabres are still in cap hell.  The team is about the same, despite the evolution of Jack and the drafting of Dahlin.  

Housley and RK are his picks for HC.   Both had limited nhl Coaching  experience.   Rookie GM + rookie HC => what we got.  

Does he deserve a 4th season?   The only thing in his favor is the bad optics of the franchise under Pegula.   

As I've said elsewhere around here, Joker was a good get IMO.  I like that addition a lot.  It's a good example of how a good GM would have created a much better team by now...by adding guys like that up and down the lineup.  No one famous, not many assets given up in exchange, but suddenly we are just a lot better team due to the additions of "nobodies" that can play hockey.  A GM is supposed to know how to find and acquire players like that. 

Unfortunately, that (and Skinner) are the only 2 positives Botterill has done, but the ROR negative outweighs both of them.  All the other moves haven't amounted to anything. 

Cozens is EXPECTED to be a part of the team. They are planning for it. @Randall Flaggwas right, they should definitely be planing for it NOT to happen and it being a pleasant surprise if it does. 

Add in this :

...is there any doubt at all that Cozens/Kahun is our 2/3C combo next year?

FIRE BOTTERILL

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Cozens is EXPECTED to be a part of the team. They are planning for it. @Randall Flaggwas right, they should definitely be planing for it NOT to happen and it being a pleasant surprise if it does. 

Add in this :

FIRE BOTTERILL

I'm good with that, we will rock ?

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Add in this :

FIRE BOTTERILL

I'm not really disagreeing, but I do think Cozens will surprise people. He is not Mitts. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not really disagreeing, but I do think Cozens will surprise people. He is not Mitts. 

It's not that. Read the tea leaves. The team is preparing us for exactly what their plan is: to again not address the centre ice position. 

I think Cozens will be ready too! But they are going to have him penciled in for much too high of a role. 

I'm sure his winger will be Wayne Simmonds based on the fact Botterill is itching to offer him a new contract. 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

But expecting him to be your 2c is insane. He might not be that for another 2 years. Botterill is like a magician trying the same card trick for the 30th time and everyone already knows how it works. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, LGR4GM said:

But expecting him to be your 2c is insane. He might not be that for another 2 years. Botterill is like a magician trying the same card trick for the 30th time and everyone already knows how it works. 

But that's ok, we have "natural centre who doesn't actually play centre", Kahun, as the 2C fail safe so we are all good. 

It's all good. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

It's not that. Read the tea leaves. The team is preparing us for exactly what their plan is: to again not address the centre ice position. 

I think Cozens will be ready too! But they are going to have him penciled in for much too high of a role. 

That's exactly what it is. It is spin to sell season tickets. Cozens is going to get Skinner and Simmonds as linemates. It is clearly the plan. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thorny said:

I meant it when I said Cozens' nick name is "The Plan". It's Botterill's entire damn strategy. 

Yupppp. He thinks he finally caught lightning in a bottle and will try to use it to save his job after missing on Trochek

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is pretty damning.  I mean, it’s true, and no number is perfect, but scoring chances and expected goals can’t just be dismissed.  

Yupppp. That's the thing, he didn't discuss the weakness of the analytics just basically said they don't matter. Between this and his draft logic, done. Get out and stay out. 

1 minute ago, bunomatic said:

No playoffs for a couple /few more years with JBottoms plan

Unless Cozens is eichel light, nope. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yupppp. He thinks he finally caught lightning in a bottle and will try to use it to save his job after missing on Trochek

He tried, missing is like stating he didn't even make a good offer while it has been rumoured it was better than Carolina's.   

Also glad we didn't trade for him, it would have been one of our worst. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

He tried, missing is like stating he didn't even make a good offer while it has been rumoured it was better than Carolina's.   

Also glad we didn't trade for him, it would have been one of our worst. 

I give him full credit for having a good offer by all accounts. I give him none for the situation he put this team in the first place. 3 years and we're basically a barely improved Murray team. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I give him full credit for having a good offer by all accounts. I give him none for the situation he put this team in the first place. 3 years and we're basically a barely improved Murray team. 

He absolutely doesn't get credit for "trying". Whether or not his offer was even "better" is subjective. Looks like it wasn't.

The funny thing is, we AREN'T improved over Murray's best Sabres team, and that team DIDN'T HAVE A LEGIT MVP SUPERSTAR

Where would this team have been with 15-16 Eichel instead? He has built nothing around him, in fact the team around him is much worse than when he started, based on projected standings. 

Edited by Thorny

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is pretty damning.  I mean, it’s true, and no number is perfect, but scoring chances and expected goals can’t just be dismissed.  

It probably says more about Jason Nightengale than Jason Botterill. If we assume the Sabres have an internal xG model that differs from the public models, it probably says nicer things about current players than the public models. Given the team is mediocre (at best) with a laundry list of useless forward acquisitions, the internal model stinks. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It probably says more about Jason Nightengale than Jason Botterill. If we assume the Sabres have an internal xG model that differs from the public models, it probably says nicer things about current players than the public models. Given the team is mediocre (at best) with a laundry list of useless forward acquisitions, the internal model stinks. 

It's still on the GM to verify the information. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.