Rumor: About Botterill’s Future Being in Doubt

Brawndo

4 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

Kinda think that this organization has re-booted far too many times for them to actually try and bring in yet another new GM (or coach as most new GM's will want their own coach).

Still think a big problem stems from giving away or losing good talent and getting basically nothing in return. The beginning of the end seemed to start way back when we lost both Briere and Drury to free agency when we should have traded them, at the deadline and got something of significance in return (remember both were highly coveted and in big demand;hence they both signed big contracts at free agency). 

Fast forward a few years and GMTM is giving away far too much for far too little, but then he does make two significant moves to bring in two really good players in EK and ROR.   For all of Ex GMTM's fails, these two guys should have given us some reason to rejoice and feel we are on the right track to something (anything?).

Then we juice GMTM and bring in the "can't fail" JBotto, who immediately takes it upon himself to get rid of both EK and ROR for basically nothing. JBotto traded his two big fish for a bunch of little fish-fry that in the end amount to just bottom feeders and leaving one good line and 3 lines of 3rd or 4th liners. Getting Kahun for two of those 3rd and 4th liners was a good move, but we need that elusive 2nd center and 2nd winger to play with Skinner (although I still cannot figure out how we continue to waste a 9 million player on the 2nd line with a bunch of nobody's). When he gave away EK and ROR he gave away his best chances at getting a 2nd line center in a hockey trade.  They don;t grow on trees and just about every team is in search for one of those at some point.

I fear we will be right where we are now next season too.   OMG I cannot take another season of this...

You wanted to trade Drury and Briere when they were Cup contenders? That would have went over well

8 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Botts is not bad, yeh OReilly mistake... not sure if his hand was forced?  But he really needs a 2C and another scoring forward.... if draft high enough then maybe a starter next year plus Cozens... again who knows.

Even if his hand was forced, he should have gotten more than the pittance he did.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The issue was undoubtedly the big bonus. Not many teams wanted to make the deal before that kicked in. That order likely came from the top. 

Yep. Botterill’s Hands were tied with that one, much like Waddell’s Hands with Skinner. 

One of those GMs Teams was able to withstand a bad trade because of other moves they made.

If the bonus hadn’t been an issue, those two GMs would have made a deal 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Yep. Botterill’s Hands were tied with that one, much like Waddell’s Hands with Skinner. 

One of those GMs Teams was able to withstand a bad trade because of other moves they made.

If the bonus hadn’t been an issue, those two GMs would have made a deal 

Can't absolve him of it. I know, we've done this.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

No reason to do so, it was a huge cf from top to bottom

The other mistakes he has made are more than enough to pull the trigger on his firing 

He's made SO many mistakes. I still see it as a tough call in some ways. That's probably a lot rooted in fear of what would come next. 

Edited by Thorny

They have 66 pts with 17 games left, 8 of which are at home and 9 on the road.

If they go 8-9 in their last 17, they’ll finish with 82 pts — ie 4 pts better than the final year of TM and DDB.  That probably gets JB canned. 

If they go 7-10 in their last 17, they’ll finish with 80 points, and I’d say JB getting canned is a certainty at that point.

An extra OTL pt here or there might make all the difference in the world.  

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Murray had 3 years, why should JBot get more? 

Murray’s last season was supposed to be IT. He spent all the marbles and mortgaged the future and they played worse than Jason’s season 3 team did, even with ROR blessed be thy name.  

Botterills IT season is next season.  This offseason cap finally sheds most of the Murray blunders, his own draft picks playing, etc.  Jason steppes into a mess and has cleaned up well.

Edited by triumph_communes

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

If they go 8-9 in their last 17, they’ll finish with 82 pts — ie 4 pts better than the final year of TM and DDB.  That probably gets JB canned. 

If they go 7-10 in their last 17, they’ll finish with 80 points, and I’d say JB getting canned is a certainty at that point.

My logic agrees. Mr. Pegula's logic could be different than ours?

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Murray had 3 years, why should JBot get more? 

Murray was fired because the locker room was divided and in revolt against the coach.  Murray stood by his coach.  Pegula fires them both.

His results also were not great and he was legitimately going hard for the playoffs.  Also, TM is a crass, unwholesome guy.  Pegula probably never liked him personally.  That doesn’t help.

At least that’s my basic understanding of the situation.

Botterill, on the other hand, was hand picked by Pegula.  He is the business talking nice guy that Pegula wanted in charge.  Pegula likes him personally.  Also, I’m sure he has preached patience to Pegula and sold this as a slow build up of talent and culture that would take some time.

Thats why I think Botterill is safe while TM was gored (Lol, autocorrect *fired*) after year 3.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Curt said:

Murray was fired because the locker room was divided and in revolt against the coach.  Murray stood by his coach.  Pegula fires them both.

His results also were not great and he was legitimately going hard for the playoffs.  Also, TM is a crass, unwholesome guy.  Pegula probably never liked him personally.  That doesn’t help.

At least that’s my basic understanding of the situation.

Botterill, on the other hand, was hand picked by Pegula.  He is the business talking nice guy that Pegula wanted in charge.  Pegula likes him personally.  Also, I’m sure he has preached patience to Pegula and sold this as a slow build up of talent and culture that would take some time.

Thats why I think Botterill is safe while TM was gored (Lol, autocorrect *fired*) after year 3.

Unless Ralph......

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I really don't care if they go 15-2 and miss the playoffs by one point, the incompetence JBot has displayed in 3 years is overwhelming, he needs to go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I don't get this. A'tall.

At this point they are what they are, and 4 point swings could be easily accounted for by random circumstance. I hope the Pegulas understand what the team is and aren't making decisions based off of a 5 win in 6 game stretch, nor a losing streak out west 

this stuff is built into all NHL seasons, its the level that your team oscillates around that's the important marker, and ours is safely mediocre

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.