Rick Jeanneret: What Is Your Favorite All Time Call?

Ruff Around The Edges

Anything not considered a "Big Call".  RJ is the best because of his "idle" talk.  He's got a quick wit.  He has a large vocabulary for calling even minor events. 

He's _alive_. He's not some droning play-caller who is afraid to stray off the sidewalk.  That's why many people don't appreciate him because they only

hear the over-the-top calls.

Example. The last game some college kids found their way into the press box.  RJ demands of them, "Did you buy tickets [to get in]?"  One of the kids

sheepishly said, "no-uh-oh", knowing that RJ was teasing them.   That's a real person exchange.

• Like (+1) 2

The scary good call stands out. But that's most likely because it was the last time we combined spontaneous RJ with the sabres being good. 

I gotta go the most predictable and go with May Day. It happened at just the right time for me, I was a young teenager, playing hockey, recently started following the sabres closely, and it kinda reflected how I felt as the play happened.

The original Scary Good call was better and, I think, spontaneous. Connolly's tying goal with 10.7 to go in Game 1.

So hard to pick a favorite. I remember "And Craig Laffey is still looking for his jock strap." It shocked me at the time. "Yes, Virginia, there will be another game in this series!" (Sabres won in Minnesota in 1981 playoffs to avoid getting swept, on a Craig Ramsay overtime goal.)

The Afinogenov overtime goal against the Rangers would be hard to beat.

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The original Scary Good call was better and, I think, spontaneous. Connolly's tying goal with 10.7 to go in Game 1.

So hard to pick a favorite. I remember "And Craig Laffey is still looking for his jock strap." It shocked me at the time. "Yes, Virginia, there will be another game in this series!" (Sabres won in Minnesota in 1981 playoffs to avoid getting swept, on a Craig Ramsay overtime goal.)

The Afinogenov overtime goal against the Rangers would be hard to beat.

Ok, I have different memories of the Jock Strap and Yes Virginia comments, perhaps he said them more than once. I remember the jock strap comment was Richard Seveniegh (spelling?) and the Yes Virginia was in 1983 with Boston, leading to the OT loss in Boston.. 

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I use to love when John VANNNNNNNNN Boxxxxxxmeeeeer scored! 

That IMHO is the one that stands out because it was the 1st of RJs really personalizing the moments to be his version that really stuck w/ me.  (Plus, couldn't stand Housley, so his Wow-wee Hows-ley which was tye next of those that stood out was beyond grating, again IMHO.)

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Ok, I have different memories of the Jock Strap and Yes Virginia comments, perhaps he said them more than once. I remember the jock strap comment was Richard Seveniegh (spelling?) and the Yes Virginia was in 1983 with Boston, leading to the OT loss in Boston.. 

He definitely said them more than once.  I recall it was Bryan Lefley of the Kansas City Scouts that Gil Perreault deked right of his jockstrap.  ("He's crawling around on the ice looking for it.")  He used it again in 1986 when I was listening to a game while coming from Cleveland to go to a SF con.  I recall the person driving the car started laughing and had to pull the car over.  She asked me, "He said what?  Who is this guy?"  The other people in the car stared at the radio in disbelief.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.