GDT 2/26/20 Sabres at Colorado 8pm ET, NBCSN and WGR550

jsb

• SDS unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's true. Our PK is terrible. Has been all year. Two main reasons, we don't win face offs and we cannot clear or control the front of the net at any time, and even worse a man down. Part of this is a downside to the focus on puck moving D men. We have to get better at this for sure. 

First faceoffs have nothing to do with our pk being bad. 

Second, we have the worst PK in the league and part of the reason is because we put Risto and McCabe out there and they simply are not that good. The 2nd bolded is laughable to me because that isn't what you see. You do not see guys parking in front and magical tips and screens. You see the defense (risto) breaking down and Hutton tossing out huge rebounds. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

First faceoffs have nothing to do with our pk being bad. 

Second, we have the worst PK in the league and part of the reason is because we put Risto and McCabe out there and they simply are not that good. The 2nd bolded is laughable to me because that isn't what you see. You do not see guys parking in front and magical tips and screens. You see the defense (risto) breaking down and Hutton tossing out huge rebounds. 

I’m convinced that you have no idea what it means to be a defender in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m convinced that you have no idea what it means to be a defender in the NHL.

Apparently all it means is cross checking people in front of the net and hitting things. Risto is a bad defender. There is 6 years worth of games to back this up. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Apparently all it means is cross checking people in front of the net and hitting things. Risto is a bad defender. There is 6 years worth of games to back this up. 

Would you rather have Pilut in there instead of Risto?

Edited by SwampD

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I remember a time when everyone thought Bogosian was good for the same reasons. Then we, literally, couldn't give him away

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I would rather have just about anyone than Risto. A guy who notoriously loses his coverage and makes poor reads. 

If that is a yes to my question, then I don’t think you know what it means to be a defender in the NHL.

The problem with the Sabres is not, nor has it ever been, our defense. The problem with the Sabres is they just don’t score. Period.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SwampD said:

If that is a yes to my question, then I don’t think you know what it means to be a defender in the NHL.

The problem with the Sabres is not, nor has it ever been, our defense. The problem with the Sabres is they just don’t score. Period.

It was our defense for years when we got Risto. We were drafting/trading for d-men left and right. It 100% was our problem

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Our world class physical defenders. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It was our defense for years when we got Risto. We were drafting/trading for d-men left and right. It 100% was our problem

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

This is how I remember it.

I’ll add the stipulation “post tank”.

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’ll add the stipulation “post tank”.

Even post tank. Montour, Miller, Pilut, Antipin, Ryan Johnson, Guhle...we've been trying to get a good defensive core together since Campbell was here. I think we finally have one, but I don't particularly think Risto is the key to that. Put him on the 2nd pair I don't really care and McCabe on the 3rd

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

LOL. That goal wasn't a breakdown, it was a power play with Nathan MacKinnon doing Nathan MacKinnon things.

Our defenders shut out one of the league's best attacks 5-on-5 last night.

Let's review this play. Risto, leaves his man to waive his stick at McKinnon. Before that pass is even made, Risto is covering no one. After the pass is made, because he was flat footed, Risto does nothing. He doesn't collapse to his man. His man then starts to walk out in front of the net. McCabe then panics and instead of skating towards the guy, lunges with his stick and completely misses and also leaves the guy he was supposed to have wide open on the backside. Wow. So glad we have these big tough physical forwards clearing the front of the net. Really paid off of for us yesterday. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's true. Our PK is terrible. Has been all year. Two main reasons, we don't win face offs and we cannot clear or control the front of the net at any time, and even worse a man down. Part of this is a downside to the focus on puck moving D men. We have to get better at this for sure. 

The puck moving D aren’t playing much on the PK though.  All season it’s been Risto, McCabe, Scandella, Bogo on the PK.  Not Dahlin, Jokiharju, Miller, Montour.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.