Missing out on Trocheck...big mistake?

Sabre fan

It seems to me that the exact player this team needs and should never have had passed up was Vincent Trocheck. At the end of the day, Trocheck went to Carolina for what is being described as a rental player (Erik Haula UFA) a at best 3 liner in  Lucas Wallmark and two prospects that are both termed  "secondary" in  Eetu Luostarinen and Chase Priskie. Trocheck is a perfect-fit 2nd line center who is actually signed for another 2 years! At 26, he was without a doubt exactly what this team needs. I cannot see where adding more overpaid 3rd and 4th liners is "progress" when we missed out on the big fish who we totally failed to catch. Kudos to Carolina for adding this guy for what amounts to not much of anything.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hard to be missing out on a player that their GM wasn’t going to trade to you.  Jbot made a substantial offer to Fla for Trocheck but Tallon turned it down for the Carolina offer.  

I guess Tallon didn't want to help a team right behind them in the standings? Terrible trade for Florida though

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

He didn't want to help a team behind them, but instead helped a team above them in the 2nd WC spot?

3rd in the Atlantic is a much easier goal then the 2 wild card spots.  There is only Buffalo, Fla and Toronto fighting for that spot with 6 points separating those 3 teams and they are only 2 pts behind Toronto.  However, Florida is fighting 7 teams for the 2 wild card spots and is 6 points behind the 2 teams in the wild card.

57 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hard to be missing out on a player that their GM wasn’t going to trade to you.  Jbot made a substantial offer to Fla for Trocheck but Tallon turned it down for the Carolina offer.  

This conclusion is not supported by the tweet you posted.  Just because the Sabres thought their offer was better than Carolina's (that's assuming the tweet is accurate, of course) doesn't mean Florida saw it that way.  Alternatively, Florida may have thought the Sabres' offer was slightly better, but preferred not to trade VT to Buffalo unless Buffalo's offer was substantially better -- which also would not be a case of Florida "not going to trade him to Buffalo."

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

This conclusion is not supported by the tweet you posted.  Just because the Sabres thought their offer was better than Carolina's (that's assuming the tweet is accurate, of course) doesn't mean Florida saw it that way.  Alternatively, Florida may have thought the Sabres' offer was slightly better, but preferred not to trade VT to Buffalo unless Buffalo's offer was substantially better -- which also would not be a case of Florida "not going to trade him to Buffalo."

It was discussed on WGR that Tallon might be old school and believes that you don"t trade good players within the division.

So what we're saying is we'd have been fine if Botteril overpaid for Trochek? From the sounds of it, Buffalo and NYI were close and Buffalo needs to overcome the division playoff picture. Not a good look on Tallon if he trades the guy to the team that makes a run and eliminates them from the playoffs. Buffalo would have had to wow them to make that trade.

Edited by MattPie

”JB really didn’t give Florida a good offer”

or let’s see ... “JB made a big mistake by not trying to get and/or getting Trochek” 

That garbage just rings hollow to me. It reeks of ... wanting so hard to believe any negative (and raging against it) and not having the ability to give JB an ounce of credit or looking positively about anything regarding anything Sabres related. And it’s not just this particular example at this moment in time. Again, it just rings hollow to me. Non issue where I sit.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

”JB really didn’t give Florida a good offer”

or let’s see ... “JB made a big mistake by not trying to get and/or getting Trochek” 

That garbage just rings hollow to me. It reeks of ... wanting so hard to believe any negative (and raging against it) and not having the ability to give JB an ounce of credit or looking positively about anything regarding anything Sabres related. And it’s not just this particular example at this moment in time. Again, it just rings hollow to me. Non issue where I sit.

What's the problem with discussing why the Sabres, who are dying for a 2C, didn't obtain one who was traded yesterday for not that high of a price?

The big mistake will ultimately be not finding a 2C this summer.

20 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

What's the problem with discussing why the Sabres, who are dying for a 2C, didn't obtain one who was traded yesterday for not that high of a price?

The problem isn’t the discussion, it’s the assumption the only Torcheck solves the problem.  Many here, given the comments by Panthers fans, don’t think Trocheck is the answer anyway.

However Jbot still needs to address this position this summer. There isn’t a UFA who would help.  So he must make a trade for someone like Henrique, Strome (chi) or Cirelli?  There maybe a cheaper option if Jbot finds a 3C he think can blossom in a bigger role like Karlsson did in LV.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I dont think Florida really wanted to trade within the division or take on much in the way of actual money. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't think Botterill is a good GM but I'm happy with how the Trocheck thing played out as of right now. 

Yeah me too, wouldn't have want to overpay for a player that has left his best play in  2017.   Not really getting the fascination unless it was buy low, and that wasn't the case at all.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The big mistake will ultimately be not finding a 2C this summer.

The problem isn’t the discussion, it’s the assumption the only Torcheck solves the problem.  Many here, given the comments by Panthers fans, don’t think Trocheck is the answer anyway.

However Jbot still needs to address this position this summer. There isn’t a UFA who would help.  So he must make a trade for someone like Henrique, Strome (chi) or Cirelli?  There maybe a cheaper option if Jbot finds a 3C he think can blossom in a bigger role like Karlsson did in LV.  

Pretty much.

He needs to make a trade for a 2C and ideally at the draft as that's when those types of trades are most easily made.  (Not saying a high pick needs to go out to make it happen, just that late June is traditionally when the type of trade we need to see made gets made.)

He built up the D capital this past year + enough to make a 2C pop onto the market.  And, though Scandella and Bogosian were essentially dumped with no value coming back, there is still enough in house that the D will be good next year and I'd even expect Botterill to rebuild some of the D capital back up to close to where it was heading into this season (hopefully not all the way back to that) because that is what he seems to have the eye for.

And, unless he's really certain a less coveted young 3C is ready to blossom (not including Cirelli here) would rather not see him make a move for that guy.  Because he's already got at least 3 guys in house who can be legit 3C's over the next season or 2.  He has to hit on the 2C. 

He also has to find a way to upgrade the goaltending tandem into the top 10-15 quality that will be necessary at minimum to prevent goaltending from torpedoing next season.  And he should be taking that seriously because he probably (hopefully) loses his job if things go sideways again.  If they get the improvement they need next year, he gets to keep his job.

• Like (+1) 1

Friedman did not get a whiff of Buffalo making a pitch for Trocheck. But leaves open the possibility that they were an unknown team 

11. The move that surprised most was Florida’s trade of Vincent Trocheck. I heard when teams queried the Panthers about it, they asked what was wrong that made him available? Arizona, Calgary and Minnesota were among those who made pitches.

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.