Is it really ridiculous to think the Sabres could overtake Toronto and Florida to make the playoffs?

matter2003

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

i think optimism has to be based on the way Florida an Toronto are playing as much as its about how the Sabres are playing.

Never wish for injuries... but if Reilly and Ceci could remain out another couple weeks orrr look like Bogo for a handful of games when they come back, it would certainly aid the Sabres.

The Sabres only have 1 game in hand on the Leafs. 6 points back, and the Leafs can outscore anybody except when they're panicked at facing their practice goalie.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The schedules favor Florida and Toronto.  For example we have only one game left against a bottom of the standings team while Toronto has 6.  

Well, considering the Sabres recently managed to lose twice to the Otters and at home to Detroit, not playing bottom feeders might be a blessing in disguise.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The schedules favor Florida and Toronto.  For example we have only one game left against a bottom of the standings team while Toronto has 6.  

Also they play each other 2x, we only have FL 1x.  I guess we hope for a split there and no OT.  Either way I'm optimistic, minus the OTT game Sabres look strong.  Leafs are opposite, one good game, a lot of ugly, and the pressure on them is going to increase even more if they don't start winning 3 of 4.  

Haven't watched much this year much for several reasons but purchased NHL.tv last week to finish out the season and I just have a feeling that they will make the playoffs this year. If not, atleast I got to see them whoop the queefs! Also, f the queefs!

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

Making up 6 points in 20 games sounds easy, but the simple math makes it look daunting. Toronto is on a 94-point pace thus far. I did the math over in the Simmonds thread, but the Sabres need to go 7-2-1 per 10 games for the remainder of the season to pass that. That's a game better than the recent hot streak. I don't think they'll hold that pace. If it were one team, maybe, but the cosmic billiard balls need to line up just right to have two teams flame out at the same time.

Maybe, but Toronto is not on a 94 point pace playing the way they did the last 10 games...they are on an 87 or 88 points pace....if that continues the Sabres have a chance.  Their defense and goaltending is atrocious...they can score with anyone but they have to win games 6-5. Same with Florida who has allowed even more goals than Toronto...

The only 2 teams that have allowed more goals than Toronto and Florida in the NHL are the Devils and the RedWings, two of the worst teams in the league. No team is ever out of the game against either of them...

Honestly they are almost the exact same team...Toronto has 220 goals for and 210 against in 63 games and Florida has 217 goals for and 212 against in 62 games.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

Making up 6 points in 20 games sounds easy, but the simple math makes it look daunting. Toronto is on a 94-point pace thus far. I did the math over in the Simmonds thread, but the Sabres need to go 7-2-1 per 10 games for the remainder of the season to pass that. That's a game better than the recent hot streak. I don't think they'll hold that pace. If it were one team, maybe, but the cosmic billiard balls need to line up just right to have two teams flame out at the same time.

ESPN magazine had a list of the greatest amount of points made up after the All-Star break since 2005.  It was 6 - by the 2010-1 Buffalo Sabres.  Had they not had the injuries at the end of the season, the team to make up the most points after the TDL would have been 6 by the 2011-2 Buffalo Sabres; they were also 9 out after the ASB.  1 team was 5 out after the ASB and 1 team was 4 out after the TDL.  Everyone else was closer.

Aside: had either the 2007-8 or 2008-9 Sabres made the playoffs, they would have been on these lists as well.  So I guess, buckle up?

Edited by E4 ... Ke2
Context.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Well, considering the Sabres recently managed to lose twice to the Otters and at home to Detroit, not playing bottom feeders might be a blessing in disguise.

We'd basically be in a playoff position right now if we could beat Ottawa and Detroit.

50 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

The game vs COL will be a huge statement.

Simmonds with the first star on the strength of 3 assists and 6 hits.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Probably a less than 20% chance.  Toronto has to much firepower in their line up.  They will get it together enough to make it in. 

I believe it was a 4% chance as of yesterday, depending on which website you believe most.

No one has it more than around that number though.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Maybe, but Toronto is not on a 94 point pace playing the way they did the last 10 games...they are on an 87 or 88 points pace....if that continues the Sabres have a chance.  Their defense and goaltending is atrocious...they can score with anyone but they have to win games 6-5. Same with Florida who has allowed even more goals than Toronto...

The only 2 teams that have allowed more goals than Toronto and Florida in the NHL are the Devils and the RedWings, two of the worst teams in the league. No team is ever out of the game against either of them...

Honestly they are almost the exact same team...Toronto has 220 goals for and 210 against in 63 games and Florida has 217 goals for and 212 against in 62 games.

I agree with everything you've said before, but the likelihood of both Florida and Toronto suddenly being terrible after being OK for 50 games (barring injury or something) is probably less than the probability that the Sables only lose 7 more games this season (92 points).

7 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I believe it was a 4% chance as of yesterday, depending on which website you believe most.

I would have said 10% from the hip, but I'm an optimist. My bold prediction: Sabres miss by 4 with 90, Floronto have 94 and 93 (don't care which is which that much).

Buffalo has some tough matchups ahead of them, their playoff chances are very slim.

That said, I don't really care much if they get in or not.    They're not going anywhere even if they do happen to sneak in.

The important thing is that the players gain experience playing in meaningful games down the stretch, instead of just coasting to the finish like years past. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Sabres have 66 pts with 20 games left.  To get to 96 pts, they'd need 15 wins, or 14 wins and 2 OTLs.

12 of their last 20 games are on the road.  They are 10-19 on the road.  So even if they win 6 out of their 8 home games, they'd also need to win at least 8 out of the 12 roadies -- which would mean essentially doubling their road winning percentage.

It's not crazy to think that Toronto or Florida might self-destruct, but the odds are well against both of them doing so.

It's also pretty unlikely that they'll get the kind of goaltending they'd need to accumulate 14-15 wins against their schedule.

But they have Eichel, and RK, and Dahlin, and a number of proud, strong, nasty SOBs like Risto, Larsson, Zemgus and McCabe who are PO'd that they've never been this close and who will crawl across broken glass to get there.

So hell yes there's a chance, especially if they get good goaltending.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, shrader said:

Buffalo has taken 7 out of 8 points from Detroit.  Those games aren't the problem.

Actually just Ottawa would do it.  But we lost the last Wings game in OT (or was it shootout) but it did cost us a point.  It wouldn't be important if we could beat friggin Ottawa.

Looking back over the years - this thread seam kind of hopeless.

Weve all been trough these optimistic fairytale opinions, its just not going to happen and this is the mindset you should have.

Just save ur self from pitty and frustration by not believe in a miracle, instead just keep beeing 'meh' and if it happens its gonna make you very happy, and if it doesnt - well its just another sabres season and u just look forward to next season.

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

there was an interesting Poll on twitter by someone yesterday..

4% chance of playoffs

4% chance of 1st overall pick..

Which do you prefer?  I'll take the pick and the long term view that Lafreniere will bring them closer to a cup.

I will admit it was pretty great Screaming "goal" the other day when Okposo scored vs Winnipeg. Certainly nice to have it being late Feb and the games meaning something.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Buffalo has some tough matchups ahead of them, their playoff chances are very slim.

That said, I don't really care much if they get in or not.    They're not going anywhere even if they do happen to sneak in.

The important thing is that the players gain experience playing in meaningful games down the stretch, instead of just coasting to the finish like years past. 

one could argue that the playoff experience would be even more valuable, even in a 4 game sweep.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.