Is it really ridiculous to think the Sabres could overtake Toronto and Florida to make the playoffs?

matter2003

38 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Weve all been trough these optimistic fairytale opinions, its just not going to happen and this is the mindset you should have.

Did Luke and the Rebels of Yavin give up against the Death Star and say we'll get 'em next season? Did Lando, Wedge, and Nien Numb and the Rebels give up against the Death Star II? Did Poe and the Resistance give up against the Death Starkiller Base III? One of these times we're gonna nail that death ball.

(And also hope springs eternal, so we'll get 'em next year.)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

there was an interesting Poll on twitter by someone yesterday..

4% chance of playoffs

4% chance of 1st overall pick..

Which do you prefer?  I'll take the pick and the long term view that Lafreniere will bring them closer to a cup.

I will admit it was pretty great Screaming "goal" the other day when Okposo scored vs Winnipeg. Certainly nice to have it being late Feb and the games meaning something.

Playoffs

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Playoffs

It would mean the Sabres win 14 out of the next 20 to make the playoffs, coming off 6 out of 7...Now im starting to rethink my position. 

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Go 13-4-3 like the 2010-11 team did and we get to 95 points.  I can be done.  Go Sabres.

Hopefully we have this optimism still on Thursday

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

It would mean the Sabres win 14 out of the next 20 to make the playoffs, coming off 6 out of 7...Now im starting to rethink my position. 

Hopefully we have this optimism still on Thursday

Honestly I want them to play some good hockey, earn at least 22 points down the stretch and prove to themselves that they are a good team heading in the right direction.  Kahun, Lazar, Reinhart, Montour, Simmonds, Girgensons, Larsson, Vesey and even Frolik are playing for their next contract.  They should be highly motivated to play well.  I’d love to make the playoffs, but it wouldn’t be so terrible to fall a little short,  get a little luck in the lottery and add another talented player.

Sabres are 4-1 in their last 5 with wins over 3 current playoff teams and 1 playoff contender.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Go 13-4-3 like the 2010-11 team did and we get to 95 points.  I can be done.  Go Sabres.

I love reading this stuff a lot more than what I’ll be reading Thursday after the Avs light Hutton up so badly he changes his name to Red Light Racicot.

• Haha (+1) 2

They have a chance, it’s slim, but it isn’t yet to the 16 step tiebreaker likelihood level yet. A solid last 20 and a little help from TOR and FLA and we make it to the dance.

Regardless, get us to 90pts and I’ll have positive feelings about this year. At 90 you turn into a nigh-playoff team who just had a few things go against us versus a hopeless lost season yet again.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Also, no matter where the remaining Colorado game fell, it was always going to be a likely loss, so nobody should jump off a bridge just yet even if they blow our doors off tomorrow. 

I believe Buffalo's about to go on a tear and win 8 in a row including this past weekends games. I project our next loss to be against Washington.

I think the Sabres claim that 3rd division slot and win the first round of the playoffs, the defense is really starting to gel.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MattPie said:

Making up 6 points in 20 games sounds easy, but the simple math makes it look daunting.

On the other hand, streaks of 4 wins or losses can happen at any time.  If the Sabres manage to rattle off a few wins in a row while TO and FLA go through a couple of losing streaks, this race becomes a dead heat.

• Like (+1) 1

It's possible, but it'll require both of those two teams having bad end runs and us having a good one. 

I am most curious to see if this team we have will continue to play at the level we have seen last few games (or better) or if it'll drop back to being same old same old again. The pessimist in me says a lot of them were playing hard hoping to spark trade interest and now they'll stop caring (thinking of the UFAs mostly). The optimist in me says Kreuger's finally got them all buying in and there is in fact a cultural shift in the right direction. We shall see which it is.

Cautiously optimistic now, but truly I have no idea. I would think we can't lose more than 1 out of every 4 and have to hope neither of them pick up many OT points. 

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Zach Bogosian currently a -2 in his Tampa debut. We can't escape this ***** guy. 

He and Colburn looked good failing to tie up one player behind the net, resulting in the goal.

And watching Tavares skate to the middle of the ice with a half hearted stick swing as Tavares Back Hand went in was a thing of beauty. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

He and Colburn looked good failing to tie up one player behind the net, resulting in the goal.

And watching Tavares skate to the middle of the ice with a half hearted stick swing as Tavares Back Hand went in was a thing of beauty. 

Brayden Colburn and Zach Bogisian are partners again? Did Atlanta get the Thrashers back?

10 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Did Luke and the Rebels of Yavin give up against the Death Star and say we'll get 'em next season? Did Lando, Wedge, and Nien Numb and the Rebels give up against the Death Star II? Did Poe and the Resistance give up against the Death Starkiller Base III? One of these times we're gonna nail that death ball.

(And also hope springs eternal, so we'll get 'em next year.)

Haha, well optimism is a beautiful thing indeed (even in movies)
But looking to be 9 seasons straight without playoffs i would say it would be good for your heart to not be so optimistic.

?

1 hour ago, MODO Hockey said:

Haha, well optimism is a beautiful thing indeed (even in movies)
But looking to be 9 seasons straight without playoffs i would say it would be good for your heart to not be so optimistic.

?

9 seasons straight....my Lord....Girgensons, Larsson, Ristolainen, and McCabe have endured 7 of these 9 seasons. Reinhart has dealt with 6 of them, Eichel 5, Ullmark parts of 5, and Okposo 4.

I worry about how much this losing has infected the locker room culture. At the very least, just have a strong finish during these last 20 games where everyone plays hard and the team ends up at least in the mid 80's in points....which would be the best season since Year 1 of this playoff drought. Give the players and fans a bit of hope entering the off-season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.