Trade: Erod and Sheary traded to Pittsburgh for C/LW Dominik Kahun

LGR4GM

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I will give him a sliver of credit. He still has not fixed the 2c hole in the lineup. Another opportunity to do it was wasted. 

In terms of his job security, he’s sent a message to his players that he believes in them.

If they believe in each other and continue their 2020 pace to a 90 point season, he might be set up well to sell us as a team on the rise to free agents, including Larry and Z.

If we get a below .500 swoon he probably loses his job.

He bet on himself and his vision for this team.

• Like (+1) 2

I like that he used two assets to add and upgrade the team while getting more speed into the line up, and not including anything extra or settling for middling returns.  I hate to admit when Jason does something good.  As I've really soured on him in the last 6 months. 

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In terms of his job security, he’s sent a message to his players that he believes in them.

If they believe in each other and continue their 2020 pace to a 90 point season, he might be set up well to sell us as a team on the rise to free agents, including Larry and Z.

If we get a below .500 swoon he probably loses his job.

He bet on himself and his vision for this team.

I mean you can believe that but I don't think he was in danger of losing his job. I think he was getting 1 more year unless this team went into a complete collapse. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

The old rule was whoever gets the best player in the deal wins the deal so we win it hands down.

Both guys who wanted out are out now, which is good for the room, and Sheary was a non factor on this team and would have been gone end of the year. So imo we basically gave up nothing and got a solid player with skill and some grit who still has upside. 

Can't ask for better than that. We are a better team with this trade, now, and also moving forward.

• Like (+1) 5

31 minutes ago, ... said:

Twitter keeps mentioning Kahun has "lots of injuries". Hope this guy ain't Bogo 2.0.

From Pittsburgh Gazette:

WASHINGTON — For the second time this week, Dominik Kahun was labeled a game-time decision. And for the second time this week, that decision was ultimately a “no.”

The 24-year-old Czech-born forward was initially injured on Thursday, when he blocked a shot off of his left knee at the end of the Penguins 4-0 loss in Toronto. Kahun immediately went to the dressing room. He did not practice on Friday and missed Saturday’s loss against Buffalo and Sunday’s loss to the Washington Capitals. In both instances, he tested the ailing leg during pregame warmups but ultimately was scratched from the lineup.

On the lineup sheet distributed to the media at the Capital One Arena, Kahun was scheduled to play left wing on a line with Sam Lafferty at center and Anthony Angello at right wing. Instead, Andrew Agozzino was inserted as the fourth-line center and Lafferty slid over to left wing.

The fact that Kahun felt healthy enough to test his leg is, in itself, a positive sign when it comes to his availability for this week’s three-game road swing out West. The Penguins could use him back sooner than later. After starting the season with just two points in the first 11 games, he’s emerged as a versatile player and a top-six forward option when healthy. Among healthy wingers, Kahun’s 27 points rank third on the team behind only Bryan Rust (49) and Jared McCann (32).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

A puck to the knee doesn't sound like "injury prone" to me, Pens fans are just dumb 

Yeah, what a weird interpretation of events by the Pens fans on Twitter, at least those threads I saw. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This is a much more interesting move IMO.

Getting rid of Rodriguez and Sheary is a big plus.

Kahun has some talent and is under team control. 

Will be interesting to see what he can do with Jack, Reinhart, and/or Skinner if he ends up with any of those guys, at least on occasion.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Would you have paid what the NYI did for Pageau? Or what Carolina did for Trocheck? Neither is a top flight 2C 

And of course the Pageau deal was contingent upon him re-signing.  I don't know if that was ever mentioned at any point today, but it's pretty obvious that it was the case.  Yes, they need a 2C, but as you suggested, that wasn't happening today.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is ridiculous 

Why? I couldn't stand Erod. Waste of roster space. I think the only reason he ever made it to this organization was because he was Jack's College buddy and teammate. He has been dealt to a contender now and if they do get a Cup it will sicken me. Guys like Gilbert Perreault don't get one and Erod getting one would bother me. Could not stand him as a player. Hey, if you liked him, sorry he got dealt. I'll sleep well tonight thanks!

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.