Trade: Erod and Sheary traded to Pittsburgh for C/LW Dominik Kahun

LGR4GM

I remember Kahun being considered a bit of a steal by some when he was acquired by the Pens for Olli Matta.

It is odd that he is being traded again so soon. PIttsburgh might have trouble signing him next year, but they also think Sheary can help them more this year, which is not a good sign,

An interesting sidebar to this deal is that the Kahun Maatta deal basically paved the way for the Jokiharju Nylander deal in Chicago,a few weeks later.

Edited by dudacek

@dudacek — I have the same concerns, but I’ve read that Pittsburgh thinks it will cost over $3MM per year to resign him and they don’t have the cap space, so better to use him for a couple of assets now for a playoff run.

OTOH, if they thought he was really good, they’d probably figure out a way.  

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

@dudacek — I have the same concerns, but I’ve read that Pittsburgh thinks it will cost over $3MM per year to resign him and they don’t have the cap space, so better to use him for a couple of assets now for a playoff run.

Yeah, I read that too, but they are chasing a cup this year and must legitimately Think the Sheary and ERod gave them a better chance for that playoff run. Those are two players that I didn’t see part of any Sabres playoff run.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Let's give the guy a chance and see how he fits into our team before judging him. Aside from a few games here and there I've been underwhelmed by Sheary the entire time he was here. ERod was useless and wanted out, so even if this guy is just a bottom end player for us, if he fits the system, we don't lose on the deal.  

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t know what the fancy stats say, but I’ll repeat: to my eyes, Sheary plays weak and has a maddening inability to finish.  Constantly knocked off of the puck because of a lack of functional strength, and while he’s able to generate some chances for himself he does not seem to be able to put them in the back of the net.  I won’t miss the player.

As for E-Rod, I never thought he belonged in the NHL.  I felt badly for Skinner when he was partnered up with him.  Really surprised anyone took him.  He’s an AHL player.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Let's give the guy a chance and see how he fits into our team before judging him. Aside from a few games here and there I've been underwhelmed by Sheary the entire time he was here. ERod was useless and wanted out, so even if this guy is just a bottom end player for us, if he fits the system, we don't lose on the deal.  

Sheary reminded me of a much less productive Afinigenov.  Like Maxim, he would often skate really fast with the puck but end up doing absolutely nothing and you would scratch your head many times wondering what he was thinking...at least Afinigenov had 3 20 goal seasons and a couple of years with 60-70+ points...

Also, just saw Afinigenov is STILL playing in the KHL...has scored 8 goals with the Moscow Dynamo this year in 37 games at age 40...

Edited by matter2003

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Yeah, I read that too, but they are chasing a cup this year and must legitimately Think the Sheary and ERod gave them a better chance for that playoff run. Those are two players that I didn’t see part of any Sabres playoff run.

I think Sheary has more upside in PIttsburgh because he can actually do well with Crosby and Malkin.  He'd never see the light of day on Eichel's wing.  So usage probably comes into it.  In fact his ppg rate is less than half under Krueger compared to Housley, so usage probably is a factor.  Pittsburgh remembers a .5 ppg player who had .87 ppg one season.  In Buffalo he was .4 ppg, but dropped off to half that this season.  So it depends on the viewing perspective, the angle of the light, etc., when evaluating Sheary.

Kahun is .5 ppg so not really much different; from the Buffalo view a slight improvement.

I think the contract situation favors the swap; Kahun matches the Sabres desire to build youth with controlled cost; from reports it sounds like even at a modest cap hit the Penguins might not have room for him. 

It also gets ERod off the Sabres after he indicated he'd rather be traded.  He's been the odd man out since RFK came in, but we've seen him play minutes up and down our admittedly thin lineup.  He can play wing or center.  He's a good depth player for a Cup run from the Pens perspective.

So it's a hockey trade that makes business sense for both clubs.

Edited by Doohickie

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

It could be a matter of style.  Considering Krueger's Euro leanings he might favor that style more than the Penns did.

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Kahun is just a crap shoot. Will he be a difference maker? No.

But, better to get a magic bean than nothing.

Moving along.

Depends on your definition of difference maker.  I think he'll fill out a roster spot better than the players who went out.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Sheary reminded me of a much less productive Afinigenov.  Like Maxim, he would often skate really fast with the puck but end up doing absolutely nothing and you would scratch your head many times wondering what he was thinking...at least Afinigenov had 3 20 goal seasons and a couple of years with 60-70+ points...

Also, just saw Afinigenov is STILL playing in the KHL...has scored 8 goals with the Moscow Dynamo this year in 37 games at age 40...

I can get on board with this comparison 

Side note, I was shocked to discover that Max was the leading franchise scorer of the 2000s.

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I was really, really hoping that the trade of ERod would lead to no more PerreaultForever posts with the word "ERod" in them, as I've read about fifteen thousand of them in the last couple of months. 

My hopes have been crushed ?

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

That's fantastic.

42 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I would call it more than a crap shoot, looks like for sure top 9 forward to me.

Really every player is a crap shoot.  You put your faith (and your money) into them.  Some exceed their contracts, some fall short. I don't see Kahun as any riskier than any other acquisition.  He's somewhere between mature prospect and young veteran, with a limited track record and still under a controlled contract.

Edited by Doohickie

16 hours ago, WildCard said:

I'm confused where the Lazar is a defensive stud/worth anything came from. Because to me, he still sucks

faceoffs!    He leads the team at 50.7%, Larsson is next at 47.9% followed by Eichel at 47%.... that's a significant dropoff.   

Reinhart at 37.8% on 80 faceoff attempts.    Not to pick on him, but as a guy who played center in junior, you'd expect better.     He's nowhere close to 50%, a big reason they can't put him out at center.     For his career he's at 36.5% on over 700 attempts.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.